7 Posts

Smash Up» Forums » General

Subject: Faction Ability Ideas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Guldner

Kansas
msg tools
I thought it would be fun to open discussion on what the newest factions could possibly do in the Oops You did it Again expansion. I received an Smash Ups Newsletter and was happy to see they included the announcement of the winners in that newsletter. So I thought it could be fun to open up discussion on what could be the abilities and focus of the new factions.

If you didn't get the newsletter or have Facebook (I'm assuming they announced it there as well?) The winners of the contest are Egypt, Samurai, Cowboys, and Vikings.

I haven't really thought about it too hard but I think for the Cowboys it would be really fun if they could capitalize on the fact that Cowboys use to Duel. So I thought what would be neat is they would have a couple of cards that make an opponent draw their top card of their deck if its an action they have to discard that action and destroy one of their monsters but if its a minion they get to keep it in their hand.

I think another thing that could be fun for the Vikings since Vikings like to pillage and plunder is have cards that allow them to steal other players cards from their deck and either keep it in their hand or shuffle it into their deck. I also think mobility is a must for the Vikings.

For the Samurai I was thinking about an ability that let you attack your opponents deck, like Search your opponent's deck and discard a minion or action, these would be interchangeable depending on the card. You could also limit the power level of the minion destroyed.

Egypt I have no idea what way to go on them, but if mummies aren't involved and a Brennan Fraiser references doesn't make it in I will be very disappointed! Just kidding.

What awesome abilities can you think of to add to the fun of the game without messing with the balance of the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chet C.
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I posted this previously on the Reddit, where many in the community have added their opinions already.
(https://www.reddit.com/r/smashup/comments/6zw5f3/voting_resu...)

Samurai
- Samurai should feel powerful and noble - no sneaky stuff.
- Seven minions that parody the movie Seven Samurai, (the basis for The Magnificent Seven). Or else could have the samurai plus three villagers. Faction would be focused on repelling minions from bases via destruction, forced movement, and base-blocking actions. Would be fun to play with/against the Viking ideas I propose below.
- Or ignore that movie and go for a support faction with the standard minion structure and 8 action types based on the 8 virtues of bushido. (E.g. for honor, have Seppuku with text "Destroy one of your minions to gain 1 VP.") Minion abilities would also be in line with bushido, or else related to destruction.

Cowboys
- Cowboys should feel tough, chaotic, independent, and instinctual (not calculating and planning).
- Someone created a custom cowboys faction based roughly on the game Bang! with abilities similar to Bang's mechanics. This would be fun. Cards like Bang!'s Duel, Dynamite, Wells Fargo, Indians!, and Battling Gun all fit in well with Smash Up. You could have a few Bang action cards: "Choose one of your minions. Destroy a minion of lower power at the same base." Then have an action Volcanic: "Play two extra actions this turn." A lot of fun material there. Just be sure to stay clear of their characters, as they already won a lawsuit from someone copying their characters (China's Sanguosha).
- You could use the Magnificent Seven theme here instead of with the Samurai.
- Abilities could allow destruction before a base scores, movement to/from empty bases, and perhaps some luck-based elements (e.g. "if the top card of your deck is a minion, ..."

Egypt
- Here's the faction that should feel calculated. There should be a lot of power manipulation and combos requiring preparation, making the player feel like he/she is planning the construction of a pyramid or some other grand work/invention.
- I would avoid movement in this faction despite chariots. Movement generally decreases the need for careful planning because it increases flexibility.
- Egypt almost demands a titan. A god would work well, such as Ra or Osiris, or else a pyramid, the pharaoh, the Nile, or even ancient aliens offering construction technologies (extra actions or deck searching).

Vikings
- Vikings should feel adventurous, aggressive, and risk-prone.
- Although Vikings have many distinct features, it would be strange if Vikings did not have a method of plundering. This would require movement and either destruction, card stealing, or forcing discard while the Viking player draws.
- Of course there will be a card or titan referencing Norse mythology and another referencing a boat. But mechanics?
- What about a titan like this: Special: if you control fifteen power on a base, you may place this titan on that base instead of your minion play this turn. Move this card and all of your minions here to a base where the total power is less than 15 to gain 1 VP and replace that base with the top card of the base deck. Leave all cards on the base." This creates a feeling of raiders who are more interested in raiding than in holding territory. It would let Vikings can build up on a contested base, then leave, or else Vikings can build up on an isolated base and then join opponents in battle. Opponents would have to consider where the Vikings will strike next. This makes for a strategically interesting dance with the Seven Samurai idea proposed above.
- Berserkers are cool, but the best thematic ability would be similar to Tricksters' Gremlin, which doesn't see much use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cook
msg tools
mbmb
As for most of the Factions, I don't really have any ideas. However, I have long imagined what a Samurai faction might entail. I always figured it would probably focus on the concept of Honor, which I thought might be best represented by revealing cards. Reveal up to three cards from your hand to give your Minion the same amount of Power. Reveal the top card of your deck to move a Minion to another base. Things like that.

It might be a very limited mechanic, and therefore probably won't show up, but I thought it was pretty thematic and unique. The honorable samurai warriors, with nothing to hide, wearing their strength on their sleeves!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Guldner

Kansas
msg tools
Awesome ideas! I did see a long while back someone posted a fan made Cowboys faction but I don't remember all the different cards in it. If I remember right it was made after Cowboys lost the voting for the It's Your Fault expansion, but I could be totally wrong.

I think the Samurai's Titan should either be a giant Dragon or The Shogun. Honestly haven't thought about any of their abilities other than what I have posted above but I am excited to see what AEG comes up with!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cowboys
Vikings
Samurai
Mummies/Egypt

Custom faction mega list

There are several factions with those themes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Guldner

Kansas
msg tools
I'm definitely impressed by the dedication of the fans of this game to create their own cards! A lot of really neat ideas, some are a bit wordy but they also haven't been play tested and check out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chet C.
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I hope the Egypt faction focuses on Egypt's grand empire, engineering, and ingenuity, and not on B-movies about mummies and curses. I voted for Egypt, not mummies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.