Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Schmidt
Canada
Strasbourg
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has any tried the imperial variant mentioned near the end of the FAQ?

Seems like it would be bonkers but also king of interesting because you would use the entire board in a 9 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it, and our group has made it a rule to never do it again. After the first few turns, you double the amount of time spent each turn on expanding population and moving. Thanks to all the extra trade cards you get, calamities recycle faster and the purchasing phase takes even longer.

You do get to use the whole map, but really that's just giving you more distance to reach. If you have 9 players, you can always try the other side from what you normally choose. Also, you'll probably have most, if not all of the technologies by the end of the game, which removes a lot of the strategy and variety.

To summarize, what is already one of the longest games available becomes interminably slow, and nothing actually fun is added.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Schmidt
Canada
Strasbourg
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great thanks! I figured it would probably be a bad idea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kinley Engvalson
United States
West Palm Beach
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I always liked this variant for Adv. Civ. Didn't like the seemingly arbitrary limit of 9 cities and 55 units. I'm just now playing my first Mega Civ, 18 player solo(!), but someday I'll probably try using Imperial. Someone made a good point about the calamities losing some impact, but I think that could be addressed by making the losses percentages, instead of specific numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.