Subject: How About Rolling for Initiative - ideas? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was thinking it would be a cool variant to add an Initiative element like at the start of the hero turn the first player rolls initiative against the monsters (someone rolls for the monsters). If the monsters win initiative they get an extra activation right now.

Maybe players (or First player) can give up an Action or Movement or some sort of sacrifice to maintain initiative.

If the First Player is stunned the group already loses initiative without rolling. In that case the first player would not be targeted by the monsters' initiative activations.

Thoughts?

Edit 9/28/17:
This is the variant rule that we are using for Initiative. Decided to reserve it for Ambush and events where a monster spawns in a hero's space:

1. Enemies spawned in a Hero’s Zone trigger an immediate interaction and an Initiative Roll. The active hero rolls a d6.

2. If the roll is higher than the current tile level he wins initiative and gains a free action that must be resolved immediately whether it’s his turn or not. (Monsters win if the roll ties the tile level.)

3. If he uses the free action to attack the monster, the monster gets a counter attack as normal at the end of the hero’s turn, or immediately after the attack if this occurs off turn.

4. If the hero continues to attack the monster on resuming his turn, additional counter attacks are not generated – the turn is still limited to one counter attack per monster per turn.

5. If the initiative roll is not higher than the tile level, the monster gets an immediate activation to attack the hero, if it can – an actual ambush.

6. If the hero is attacked the hero gains a free action that must be resolved immediately – and may be used to counter attack. If the hero counter attacks, the monster does not get a counter attack for that fight, but a new attack made by the hero on resuming his turn will trigger a counter attack as normal.

7. If the encounter happens during a player’s turn (as in Ambush), the player may resume his turn as normal after the encounter.

8. If the spawn occurs off turn and there are more than one hero in the space the players decide which hero in the space will make the initiative roll and potentially interact with the monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QorDaq H'Nter
msg tools
tlhIngan QujwI'
badge
vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn't considered the need for initiative given that there is already a set play order in MD. However, as an intellectual exercise, I can see the option as providing some mitigation for Mobs being killed in one or two hits before getting to act (Retaliation not withstanding).

In the early game, I can see this mechanic giving the already squishy Heroes an even greater disadvantage, whereas, possibly, adding some needed difficulty at later stages.

This gets me thinking; Perhaps the PCs roll a standard D6 (High roll gains the Initiative) and the Monsters use their Monster Level as a default Initiative--with Monsters winning ties?

So a 1st Level Monster Mob would have an Initiative of 1 and could only gain the Initiative in a round if the PCs rolls a 1.

This would favor PCs in the early game, but could make later stages a little more challenging.

I don't know, adding more steps to an already fiddly game could be cumbersome, however I do like the idea of giving the monsters a little more zip without simply adding extra attack or defend dice though, and if Monster Level was used as a default there would only be a single extra step and 1 roll added.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
QorDaq wrote:
...Perhaps the PCs roll a standard D6 (High roll gains the Initiative) and the Monsters use their Monster Level as a default Initiative--with Monsters winning ties?

So a 1st Level Monster Mob would have an Initiative of 1 and could only gain the Initiative in a round if the PCs rolls a 1.

This would favor PCs in the early game, but could make later stages a little more challenging.

...I do like the idea of giving the monsters a little more zip without simply adding extra attack or defend dice though, and if Monster Level was used as a default there would only be a single extra step and 1 roll added.

This is a great idea! Very easy to implement. Thanks for that suggestion.

When we game we usually have some very tense moments over initiative so it got me thinking about trying to add that element to MD - to see if it would work or provide the same tense moments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QorDaq H'Nter
msg tools
tlhIngan QujwI'
badge
vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, I'd be curious to hear what you and your group ultimately decide to do and how it turns out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I added an edit to the OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QorDaq H'Nter
msg tools
tlhIngan QujwI'
badge
vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for updating the OP with your current iteration for Initiative.

So, how is this working thus far? At a glance it's looking like some complexity has been added in terms of additional and special case steps. Though I know that any rule, when written out fully, can appear longer and more convoluted than it is in practice--so I'm curious how it feels when used in-game.

With the above in mind then; Does adding Initiative noticeably impact the flow of a turn?

I think reserving the Initiative roll for less common situations like Ambush is a good idea--what has the effect been on pacing for combat? That is, in terms of remembering when to use it for example.

Also, is having initiative come into play, only in very specific moments, adding the tension that your group was looking for?

Again, thanks for the update.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.