PFGamer
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TURN 20

PG (M): E: Looters = Fail (all Powers exhausted!); Hide (+1S = 5, refresh)

RG (M) E: Elude w/ Vanish + S.C. (2d +1 high) = Success but not 2x
Search = Success > Forgotten Shrine (+2G = 5)

AC (M): Holy Relic (-1S = 0); E: Quest +1T = Expires Zombie Horde > Zombies > Monastery (4!)
Hide (+1S = 1, refresh); Give Holy Relic to Paragon (-1S = 4)

MK (M): E: Elude w/ Quiet (2d) = Success; Activate Focus Chi (+1G = 4)

NM (V): D: +1 = 19
M: Mountains
B: Confusion + Shroud

Comments: Fine time for the Paragon to inherit the Monk's previously-bad karma! The Shrine helped the Rogue, but he needs Secrecy as much as anything. The Monastery is almost done for, and the NM dropped a Shroud on top of Confusion. Great...

TURN 21

AC (M): NM present (no S loss – Death Mask)
E: Desp. Bargain – Power > Fade to Black, drop Key; use False Orders = 2 Blights > Castle

PG (M): NM present (-1S = 3); E: Fight w/ Rebuke (2d) = Success
Give Holy Relic to Monk (-1S = 0); Activate Aura of Alertness (+1G = 5, w/ Sanctity)

MK (M): NM present (S = 0), NM attacks
Fight NM w/ Patience (3d) + Relic (+1 high) + Focus Chi (+1 high) + Chi Burst (+1 high)
= 3d +3 to highest roll = FAIL! (-1G = 3) (YOU'VE GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!)

RG (M) NM present (-1S = 2); E: Elude w/ Vanish + S.C. (2d +1 high) = Success 2x (+1S = 3)
Hide (+1S = 4, refresh)

NM (M): D: +1 = 20 (Extra Blight spawned on roll of 1 or 2)
M: Stays in Mountains
B: Lich + Zombies (oh, brother...)

Comments: Words fail me. We have 3 dice and we can add +3 to the highest die. Back to the drawing board...

TURN 22

AC (M): NM present (no S loss – Death Mask); E: Betrayal (-1S = 0)
Attack Lich (Death Mask) w/ Final Rest (3d) + Fade to Black (+2d) = FAIL! (-1G = 2)
B: use Dark Veil, no effect

RG (M): NM present (-1S = 3); E: Elude w/ Skulk + S.C. (3d +1 h) = Success
Attack Lich (-1S = 2) w/ Ambush (-1S = 1) = Success
B: Elude w/ Vanish (2d) + S.C. (+1d) + AoA (+1d) = Success x2 (+1S = 2)

MK (M): Give Holy Relic to Paragon (-1S = 2); NM present (S = 0), NM attacks
Elude w/ Quiet (2d) + AoA (+1d) = Fail (-1G = 3, activate Harness Chi)
Attack Zombies (-1S = 0 already) w/ Patience (1d) + Harness Chi (+1 h) = Fail (-1G = 2)
B: Elude w/ Quiet (2d) = Success

PG (M): NM present (-1S = 1); Holy Relic (-1S = 0) (forgot to drop S when H.R. received)
E: Quest – Ill Weather (4T / 5P, Village); Activate Aura of Fortitude > Zombies

NM (M): D: +1 = 21
Q: +1T = 1 / 4 Turns (Ill Weather)
B: Skeletons (2, w/ Zombies)

Comments: First the Acolyte Fails on a Lich attack with 5 dice, then the Monk regains his bad karma and fails two rolls in the same turn. With luck like this, who needs the Necromancer!

TURN 23

RG (M): NM present (-1S = 1); E: Quest +1T (2 / 4 Turns)
Attack Skeletons w/ Ambush (3d, -1S = 0) = Success (-1S = already 0); B: no effect (AoF)

MK (M): NM present (-1S = 0), NM attacks
Elude (2d) = Fail (-1G = 1, activate Harness Chi)
Attack Zombies (-1S = 0 already) w/ Patience (3d) + H. Chi (+1 h) = Success, deact. AoF

PG (M): Holy Relic (-1S = 0); NM present (S = 0), NM attacks – Elude = Fail (-1G = 4)
Attack NM w/ Rebuke (2d) + AoA (+3d) + Infallibility (+1 h) + Relic (+1 h)
= 5d +2 to the highest = FAIL! (-1G = 3) (AAARRRRRGGGGGHHHH!)

AC (M): NM present (S = 0), NM attacks – Elude = Fail (-1G = 1); Hide (+1S = 1, refresh)

NM (M): D: +1 = 22
Q: +1T = 2 / 4 Turns (Ill Weather)
B: Unholy Aura + DESECRATION!

Comments: (I just stand agape, in stunned silence)

TURN 24

MK (M): NM present (-1S = 0), NM attacks
Elude w/ Quiet (2d) = Fail (-1G = 0, activate Harness Chi)
Attack Desecration (-1S = 0 already) w/ Patience (1d) + H. Chi (+1 h) = FAIL! DEAD!

RG (M): NM present (-1S = 0), NM attacks
Elude w/ Vanish (2d) + S.C. (+1d) = Fail (-1G = 4)
Attack Unholy Aura (S = 0 already) (1d) = Success

PG (M): Give Holy Relic to Acolyte (-1S = 0); NM present (S = 0), NM attacks
Elude = Fail (-1G = 2)
Attack Desecration w/ Rebuke (2d) = Success

AC (M): Holy Relic (-1S = 0); NM present (S = 0), NM attacks
Fight w/ Final Rest (3d) + Fade to Black (+3d) + Relic (+1 h) = FAIL! (-1G = 0)
(*slams head into table repeatedly*)

NM (M): D: +1 = 23
Q: +1T = 3 / 4 Turns (Ill Weather)
B: Shades + Taint

Comments: This is a perfect example of why I don't think the game should be any harder. I can't catch a break with the difficulty level the game has NOW!

TURN 25

AC (M): Holy Relic transferred to Paragon (-1S = 0)
NM present (S = 0), NM attacks (use False Life, +1G = 1) – Elude = Fail (-1G = 0)
Attack Taint (S = 0) w/ Final Rest + Fade to Black (5d) = Success
B: Fight w/ Final Rest (3d) = Success

RG (M): NM present (-1S = 0), NM attacks
Elude w/ Vanish (2d) + S.C. (+1d) = Fail (-1G = 3)
Attack Unholy Aura (S = 0 already) (1d) = Fail (-1G = 2)

GAME ABANDONED – NOT POSSIBLE TO WIN and ALREADY PAST 1:00 AM (had to get up at 5:00 AM)

POST-GAME NOTES

This session is a good example of why I think the game shouldn't be increased in difficulty too far (and also why dice-heavy games give me hives). With 4 or 5 chances to win, each of which involved 5+ dice and 1-3 added to the highest die roll, we still lost—a legendary struggle, yes, but a loss. I worry that if the difficulty of the game is increased substantially and this type of randomness is still present, the frustration of the players will reach a point where the game is not appealing. In support of this, I read just yesterday a post on BoardGameGeek.com in which a poster voiced concerns regarding the amount of dice rolling required, the associated randomness of results, and the feeling that the game is constantly against you at every turn. While my response to that would be, yes, the game is designed to be against you at every turn, as it's playable both as a cooperative and solitaire game, I do think that there should be a light at the end of the tunnel that isn't an oncoming freight train. This is partly why I have been lobbying for Quests that are not super-hard and other options that provide non-dice-related decision gates for the player. If everything seems highly random, then the game will be perceived (yep, there's that word again) as being more (possibly overly) difficult. The more options you provide to the players to combat this randomness, the more they feel in control of the outcome and the less they feel at the mercy of fate. Most of us feel that life can be cruel enough without extending the metaphor into what we hope will be our entertainment with family and friends.

OK, enough soapboxing here...

Questions and Clarifications
I listed several questions in the text of the AAR, so I'll try to recap them here:

1) Paragon Auras – When you destroy the only Blight in a location where Aura of Fortitude is active, does it deactivate automatically or just stay there “empty”? If it deactivates, does it provide the bonus/effect listed on some cards? This came up more than once—how should we have played this?
2) Rogue – Are Vanish and Skulk cumulative? My guess is no, but I wanted to be sure.
3) Twist of Fate – This only applies to the character who drew it, not to all of them, right?
4) Secrecy Loss when Fighting – I tried to find this but couldn't. When you attack a Blight or the NM, you lose a Secrecy. Is this loss ignored if you are already at 0, or does being at 0 PREVENT you from initiating an attack? In other words, does the Secrecy loss function as “currency” or a “penalty”?

I may have some other questions when I review the AAR again, but these were the big ones.

Despite my frustration with our outcome, I certainly enjoyed getting a chance to see how more of the powers interact in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.