Subject: New Site For Sharing Dominion Kingdoms rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
I created a site and iPhone app to store and share Dominion kingdoms. Have a kingdom you love playing with? Then add it to the site and share it with friends!

Kingdoms.Market Site

Kingdoms.Market App
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No anonymous access?

That's a shame, this was a good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
I need a way to log users in and I didn't want users to have to create yet another password. If you have better ideas for how to do anon auth, I'm all ears.

This is a work in progress, so I'm open to all suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Also, you can visit kingdoms that others have created without logging in. Like this one: http://kingdoms.market/kingdoms/the-long-voyage

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sikanda wrote:
I need a way to log users in and I didn't want users to have to create yet another password. If you have better ideas for how to do anon auth, I'm all ears.

This is a work in progress, so I'm open to all suggestions!

I should only need to authorize if I'm pushing data.

There is no reason to require authorization to pull.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
byronczimmer wrote:

You can view other's kingdoms without authorizing. I just don't have any kingdoms advertised on the homepage yet. Sorry! I'm also willing to consider email/password auth if people would prefer that to third-party auth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sikanda wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

You can view other's kingdoms without authorizing. I just don't have any kingdoms advertised on the homepage yet. Sorry! I'm also willing to consider email/password auth if people would prefer that to third-party auth.

You will lose viewers/users/customers/etc if you *require* that they sign up before they can try it.

You do not need anyone's email address.
You do not need anyone's Google Identity.
You do not need anyone's Facebook Login.

I'm sure you can figure out how to make viewing pages HTTP and not require any form of authorization.

Try logging out of BGG. You can still view almost everything. That's the model you want. Make the 'free' stuff interesting enough that someone decides they want to login and post content too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colby Dollens
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
+2 Actions, please!
badge
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian, the site is a great idea. B C Z has some points and seems passionate about not wanting to log in, but you made it easy enough to do. Thanks for making this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colb425 wrote:
B C Z has some points and seems passionate about not wanting to log in

I am just trying to stop the proliferation of people who don't have a security or privacy policies posted from collecting information that they do not need in order to perform the function they are claiming to provide.

Go read this:
https://termsfeed.com/blog/privacy-policy-mandatory-law/

He's collecting Personal Information but has no privacy policy posted on the home page.

He doesn't NEED to collect that information, he has CHOSEN to.

I also notice that there are links on the front page to some of the card combinations that have been entered, so that's a good start.

Website design can be hard. Where a designer chooses to focus their efforts is important and it's nice to see security/authentication included early in the process even if it's complete overkill.

I'd recommend getting that Privacy Policy up next, esp if you are collecting OpenIDs or emails.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
byronczimmer wrote:

I am just trying to stop the proliferation of people who don't have a security or privacy policies posted from collecting information that they do not need in order to perform the function they are claiming to provide.

I'd recommend getting that Privacy Policy up next, esp if you are collecting OpenIDs or emails.

I've now put up a privacy policy and terms. They are linked to from the homepage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sikanda wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

I've now put up a privacy policy and terms. They are linked to from the homepage.

Geek Gold for you.

It's clear you're passionate about this and you're probably learning a ton.

Keep going!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liallan G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree 100% with BCZ. I'm pretty picky about what information people want out of me and why they want it, or why they think they need it, what they're going to do with it, or even why I should have to log in. I could see having to log in to post on the forums. I didn't try to post, but I could see the kingdoms and the posts without making an account.

I would add further than I would never sign up because I don't like the privacy policy, but I'll at least tell you what/why. But first I'll add that I don't see a way to register. Or, you're assuming everyone in the world does social media and can just log in with FB or whatever. (And if you do believe that, it's not true and essentially tells people like me who don't do social media that we don't matter.)

As to that privacy policy, keeping in mind you already collected my email... I don't see that I have to give up any other information if I don't want, though access through the mobile app suggests you also may collect phone numbers and the like. (You don't need that, and this is when I'm glad I don't use a Smartphone or apps.)

The site/app may by default access one's Facebook account... Why? How are the two related and why does this need to happen? I will admit to total ignorance as to FB because I refuse to use it. It may be this is something someone has to connect and give permission for or whatever, but the words "by default" concern me.

"If you are using our mobile application, this information may also include the contact information of anyone you invite to use and/or join our mobile application." Probably why I get invitations from Facebook even though they really shouldn't even know who I am. WTF? Someone contacts me and someone else collects MY information??

Disclosure of Information... to affiliates, business partners, other third parties (including for marketing purposes)... I don't like any privacy policy that contains any of this, except in the case of places that need information in the course of business (such as Amazon having to pass my address to a marketplace seller, and use my credit card info to process my order). I get that you didn't sit down and write this yourself, but did you read it? There's no details about which information could be shared, and my guess is you have no reason to pass along that type of information. But it's basically saying you can because your privacy policy says so. If you state at the top that people's privacy is important to you, then respect their privacy, and don't include any of this nonsense that you don't need. (Are you going to pass something along to marketers? If not, get rid of that or re-write it.)

It's a start, but I think you ought to spend a little more time going through that, deciding what your policy is (as opposed to a general one), and what you really intend to do with information. Like you stated you would use information about people's activities and such - then leave that part. But are you really planning to give info away for marketing purposes? Parent company, subsidiaries...?

There is also no place for anyone to agree to the PP or TOU before signing up. Even though no one (or hardly anyone) actually reads these things, I would think as a legality you want to have people check a box that they've read it and agree to it. I think these things are probably already a little flimsy, but without someone having a way to agree, it would be seriously easy for them to claim they never agreed.

Oh, and the connection is not secure, as you're collecting data.

(Don't take any of the above personally. I just went through the site in a completely unbiased manner.)

(As to content, I don't know enough about Dominion to offer much opinion there.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.