Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan to teach the base game to a brand new player who hasn't played a wargame before, but who has an interest in history and especially WWII. She is Canadian. My question: Assuming she likes it, and buys and plays the base game, what would be a next step to buy in order to get a Canadian flavor? I see there are some scenario packs, but those don't have Canadian minis (are they the same as the British minis or different?)

I apologize if this has already been answered elsewhere, but when I search for "Memoir '44 Canadian", I am flooded with retailers located in Canada.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a limited number of nationalities in terms of plastic minis. Badges are used to represent various different units, when they make a difference (e.g., British engineers, paratroopers, Australian, Italian, etc.). There may be Canadian badges (can't remember), but generally for the base game its the western front and each scenario might involve different nationalities but the same figures are used. Badges are only used when there are a mixture of different types of units and it makes a difference to game play.

The expansions are by additional front. So the base game is Western Front. Then there are expansions:
- Eastern Front - Russian figures
- Pacific - Japanese figures
- Mediterranean - British figures - note this expansion focuses on North Africa and IMO is less interesting than Eastern Front for sure.

That's basically about it, although the equipment pack added some French infantry figures of little or no use IMO.

Your best bet is to seek out scenarios in which Canadians were prominent. For example there are Dieppe scenarios, the best of which are the fan created scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Or Juno Beach, I suspect.

What's the best place to screen for good scenarios?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The DOW web site, under the Memoir 44 game. There are official scenarios and then scenarios from the front (fan created), of which there are hundreds.

https://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44/en/content/scenarioapp...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a Juno beach in the Official Scenarios. It notes that the Terrain Pack is needed, but from looking at the scenario I'm not sure why. It may be because of the river tiles (which you might be able to replace with something else).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no specific Canadian figures (or badges, that I can recall). Most of the time, Canadians are represented (along with most western armies) using the green "American" figures, though in scenarios released after the Mediterranean Expansion pack, they (along with all other British and Commonwealth troops) are represented by the British figures.

There are a handful of scenarios scattered throughout that specifically represent Canadian forces. I believe there is one in the Tigers in the Snow map pack, a few in the second Campaign Book (at least a few requiring the Breakthrough map/Winter Wars, and some others scattered around on the Day of Wonder Website.

There is no specific expansion that is designed around the Canadians. Most scenarios that feature them would be playable with the base game, or base game + the Terrain Pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, when I mentioned Dieppe to her, she immediately knew what it was. I suspect this is unusual for non-wargamers, even among Canadians.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing with a Canadian should add enough Canadian flavor. Going to be difficult to find any Canadians on the Eastern front, unless you houserule a unit as ex-pats drafted into the Russian or German armies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't envisioning the Eastern Front as a source of Canadian flavor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if still obtainable. I don't own it and never played it.

Memoir '44: Disaster at Dieppe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saxophone wrote:
I don't know if still obtainable. I don't own it and never played it.

Memoir '44: Disaster at Dieppe

I've played it and didn't like it. This is the weakest of the battle map packs, and Dieppe the worst. But I'm sure plenty of people will disagree with me. The standard scenarios for Dieppe, official and fan-based are much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
By the way, when I mentioned Dieppe to her, she immediately knew what it was. I suspect this is unusual for non-wargamers, even among Canadians.

Dieppe is something that I think a fair number of Canadians know about. Maybe not in much depth, but it's considered a pretty defining moment in Canadian history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Peacock
United States
So Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moyland Wood featuring Canadians is a very good and balanced scenario available at the DOW site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes; both the single board and Overlord versions are well balanced and fun.

I do not believe you need anything more than the base game for that one (well two base games and the Overlord pack for the two board version).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
The PDF of the Campaign Book Vol. 1 is probably the best step 2 (if you want a single purchase, and not like three or four expansions at once). You get six scenarios with Canucks across two campaigns, and none require any rules or badges that aren't found in the base game or CB1 (you get a PDF for the counters too):

Drive on Caen
Night Withdrawal
Pushing Through Caen
Wittmann's Final Battle
Opportunity at Falaise
Closing the Gap

The Air Pack PDF and Terrain Pack will add five more scenarios (those five scenarios were originally published on the DOW website and can be played with just the base game in their pre-revised-for-the-Air-Pack form—two require the Terrain Pack, but that terrain can be proxied):

Yellow Beach (original)
Juno Beach (original)
Battle of the Bridgehead (original)
Operation Spring (original)
Moyland Wood (original)

I maintain this Google Spreadsheet of M44 scenarios, which includes a filter view for all scenarios involving Canadians (cos I'm patriotic like that). You can see most of the scenarios require more than one expansion, mostly the Terrain Pack, Pacific Theater, and Mediterranean Theater, for various rules and units; and many scenarios are found in the Air Pack and both Campaign Books. So it's kind of all over the place. But if you're already invested in M44, then you'll find Canadian scenarios that make use of almost everything you have (no Eastern Front!), including Overlord, Breakthrough, and of course D-Day Landings.

As others have said, there are no Canadian badges—you typically use the American figures (unless you want them fighting in shorts—probably only appropriate for Casa Berardi), but many scenarios use the British Commonwealth Forces rules for Canadians.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we played the Pegasus Bridge scenario this morning, she won as the British, and she loved it! Big win!

Question: Where is a good place for her to get the base game (she's in metro Toronto,) either online or in a FLGS? About what should she expect to pay in C$?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
Well, we played the Pegasus Bridge scenario this morning, she won as the British, and she loved it! Big win!

Question: Where is a good place for her to get the base game (she's in metro Toronto,) either online or in a FLGS? About what should she expect to pay in C$?

She could order it online from HitGames for $65 (free shipping).
She could pick it up at 401 Games Toronto store or BoardGameBliss Scarborough store for $77.

(I'm just using Boardgameprices.com.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Papenfuss
United States
Star
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Your results are back: it's negative"......um, is that a bad thing?
mbmbmbmbmb
Moyland Wood
Canadian Scenario, by Richard Borg

Set-up:

15x Hills
10x Forest
3 x Towns
3 x Sandbags

Briefing:
Axis Player: Take 5 Command cards

Allied Player: Take 5 Command cards.
You move first.

Conditions of Victory:
6 Medals
An Allied unit that captures Moyland counts as one Victory Medal. An Axis unit that captures a Louisendorf town hex counts as one Victory Medal. Place an Objective Medal on each of these three town hexes. As long as the unit remains on the town hex, it continues to count toward the victory. If the unit moves off or is eliminated, it no longer counts.

Special Rules:
The Axis Special Forces tank units have 4 figures. Place a Special Force token in the same hex with these units to distinguish them from the other units.

Historical Background:
Feb 16th-20th, 1945 Operation Veritable

On the afternoon of the 16th the Royal Winnipeg Rifles supported by the 3rd Armor Battalion Scots Guards was ordered to take the hilly ground around Louisendorf. On its left the Regina Rifle Regiment with tank support was to clear the Moyland Wood.

The Winnipeg Rifles advance went well but the Regina Rifle Regiment ran into difficulties from the start. The wood had been reported clear but elements of 6th Parachute Division newly arrived from North Holland were deployed in a strong position along the fringe of the woods. As the Canadians moved to clear the wood, it was also shelled by German artillery. The failure to drive the Germans from Moyland Wood seriously delayed the 2nd Canadian Corps' planned advance.

On the 19th, Battle Group Hauser and units from the 116th Panzer Division launched a counter attack. Throughout the night waves of Germans attacked the Allied infantry, as the Allied tanks had been withdrawn a few hours earlier to re-arm and re-fuel.

To recover lost ground, Brigadier Cabeldu ordered all uncommitted elements forward. Infantry and tanks moved out, preceded by a heavy barrage of artillery fire. The attack pushed the spent Germans back in less than two hours.

The stage is set, the battle lines are drawn, and you are in command. The rest is history.

This can be found on the DoW website.
Note, the Canadians are the green troops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Cushing
United States
Rainbow City
Alabama
flag msg tools
As far as Canadian minis go. I went on ebay and found a 1/72 set of WW2 Canadian figures and painted them up myself. I don't remember exactly how much they were (about 10-14 USD for 40-45 pieces) I have everything Memoir 44 and about 35 different armies painted up (most all the nations that provided soldiers both axis and allies). Whichever the scenario calls for, I have the figures. It just gives the game a more appealing effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.