Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vince Q
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi all,

Any recommendations for a light engine builder similar to Ah My Goods? My family enjoys this game immensely and I'm trying to get us to branch out.

Some parameters:

1. I love Le Havre (solo on iOS) but that's probably too heavy for some of us right now.

2. We all love Caverna but it takes a night (or two) to finish. 30 minutes would be ideal.

3. Steam Works was good except for the steampunk setting. Who knew, sewing cloth into shirts turned out to be way more interesting than running an intricate, multisegment contraption to.... uh, make VPs?

4. We tried Castles of Burgundy the Card Game and Port Royal; neither really hit the spot.

Anything else out there I should try?

Edit: 4 players, 30 minutes or so playtime

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianne N.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Machi Koro is a light engine builder good for the whole family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PerpetualFX wrote:

I agree, but I think Valeria: Card Kingdoms is a bit heavier but a better game, if the theme/artwork is appropriate for your family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Q
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
PerpetualFX wrote:

Oh yes we have that one too! Good call.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Give Port Royal a couple more plays...we love the game and found it really started to shine after a few plays. Also, its better with 3-4...wouldn't play it with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Century: Spice Road
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john pooley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
there is an expansion for Oh My Goods that you can get which adds a story mode to the game which is a lot of fun.

You should also have a look at Harbour https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/155969/harbour

also Village is a lot of fun but maybe a bit of a longer game than you are looking for, along with a slightly disturbing theme maybe for a family game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see you own Puerto Rico. What was your opinion on that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Q
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Elankat wrote:

Hm, I bring it up but usually get outvoted... I think that

1. It's a little too long

2. Selling goods for VPs is nice, but it's not as visceral as having a pile of goods in front of you. (I'm getting fixated on shirts again??)

I know it sounds very subjective... I'll try to bring it out again sometime and see if I can convince people to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Q
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:

I haven't seen this one but I feel it would be too abstract. There's no difference between the cardamom and the cinnamon, is there? I tried a demo of Splendour and it did not work well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Q
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
vinylvandal wrote:
there is an expansion for Oh My Goods that you can get which adds a story mode to the game which is a lot of fun.

You should also have a look at Harbour https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/155969/harbour

also Village is a lot of fun but maybe a bit of a longer game than you are looking for, along with a slightly disturbing theme maybe for a family game?

I will try the first two. Harbour looks promising! Village might be fun in a dark kind of way; maybe when we start getting bored of Caverna...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vinceq wrote:
Elankat wrote:

2. Selling goods for VPs is nice, but it's not as visceral as having a pile of goods in front of you. (I'm getting fixated on shirts again??)

I know it sounds very subjective... I'll try to bring it out again sometime and see if I can convince people to play.

I ask because if someone asks for a good engine builder in a medium weight that comes in at 30-45 minutes, Race for the Galaxy/Roll for the Galaxy is the first thing that comes to mind and it shares common ground with Puerto Rico.

I haven't played it, but maybe check into Fleet. It's in the right general area for time and game weight with a reputation for a good engine building game.

A bit longer than your goal time, but maybe Imperial Settlers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foldedcard
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
vinceq wrote:
Harbour looks promising!

Harvest, which is another worker placement game set in the same universe as Harbor might be even better. (I found the card powers and goods market a bit lackluster in Harbor.) Might be some time before it is widely available though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cottage Garden
Bärenpark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Le Havre really isn't difficult to learn, teach, or play. However, at 1 hour per player it's a long game. Still one of my favorites though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lazy Mountain

Colorado
msg tools
mb
Caverna: Cave vs Cave (for 2 players)

Doughnut Drive-Thru

Fields of Green

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sidney S
Canada
flag msg tools
Elankat wrote:
vinceq wrote:
Elankat wrote:

I ask because if someone asks for a good engine builder in a medium weight that comes in at 30-45 minutes, Race for the Galaxy/Roll for the Galaxy is the first thing that comes to mind and it shares common ground with Puerto Rico.

I haven't played it, but maybe check into Fleet. It's in the right general area for time and game weight with a reputation for a good engine building game.

A bit longer than your goal time, but maybe Imperial Settlers?

Along the same idea, perhaps San Juan would be quick enough with some interesting decisions......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Peters
United States
Barberton
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Um, Harbour is pretty clearly the exact thing you're asking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Peters
United States
Barberton
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
foldedcard wrote:
Harvest, which is another worker placement game set in the same universe as Harbor might be even better. (I found the card powers and goods market a bit lackluster in Harbor.) Might be some time before it is widely available though.

Harvest is pretty wonderful, but it would be nearly impossible to get a 4P game of that done in a half hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vinceq wrote:
Windopaene wrote:

I haven't seen this one but I feel it would be too abstract. There's no difference between the cardamom and the cinnamon, is there? I tried a demo of Splendour and it did not work well...

Spice Road is fairly new, and for many people, it improves (or fixes, depending on your point of view) Splendor. It is a fairly straight forward engine builder, much like Splendor, and it can be fairly abstract.

However, unlike Splendor's gems, which are all equal, Spice Road's spices are tiered, with Brown > Green > Red > Yellow. So, a card you buy with 5 brown will be worth a lot more points than one with 5 yellow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Q
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
morris9597 wrote:
Le Havre really isn't difficult to learn, teach, or play. However, at 1 hour per player it's a long game. Still one of my favorites though.

Wish there was a 30 minute lite version of Le Havre. Or my other iOS staple, Caylus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Q
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Lzmountaingames wrote:

Never heard of Fields of Green, I will try it. Checking out Rahdo's playthrough right now.

The nice thing about drafting is that it scales to the number of players. The bad thing is, just one person with AP can slow everything down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Harding
United States
Mount Pleasant
South Carolina
flag msg tools
merely a dingbat pushing little wooden bits around a game board
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got Oh my Goods and over the past couple days, have played four 2-player games. I've found it pretty fun, even though I typically prefer more player interaction. I'm looking forward to trying it with more people. What different player counts have you played at, and what player counts do you prefer?

On the topic of other engine builders... I found Harbour to be very dull. The decisions in the game all felt the same, and uninteresting. "I can turn two of this good into three of that good, or three of that into four of another." And I found at higher player counts, the constant fluctuation of the market was frustrating.

Similarly, Century Spice Road didn't do anything for me either. I liked it better than Harbour, I suppose, but in the end, I found the decisions to be fairly obvious.

I far prefer Splendor over C:SR, as I like the accelerating pace toward the finish, and feel like I have to watch my opponents more than in Century.

But (with admittedly only four plays) I've found Oh My Goods to be much preferred over the others above in terms of planning out which buildings to build, and whether to go for points on buildings or points in goods. And I like the press-your-luck aspect of sloppy vs efficient building and the resource availability in the market. I'm looking forward to the expansions being introduced in the US.

There are certainly better engine builders, if you're up for a longer game, but 30 minute engine builders are pretty rare. You might want to look into some of the Carl Chudyk games, like Innovation and Mottainai. I've only played a half a game of Innovation, and haven't played Mottaintai, but they might be something you'd be interested in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
salsaking wrote:
Along the same idea, perhaps San Juan would be quick enough with some interesting decisions......

Eminent Domain as well. The base game will have a San Juan in space vibe although the first expansion changes that further.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Q
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dingbat Meeplepusher wrote:
I just got Oh my Goods and over the past couple days, have played four 2-player games. I've found it pretty fun, even though I typically prefer more player interaction. I'm looking forward to trying it with more people. What different player counts have you played at, and what player counts do you prefer?

On the topic of other engine builders... I found Harbour to be very dull. The decisions in the game all felt the same, and uninteresting. "I can turn two of this good into three of that good, or three of that into four of another." And I found at higher player counts, the constant fluctuation of the market was frustrating.

That's too bad, I was looking forward to this one...
We only ever play 4 player games of Oh My Goods and it's pretty much multiplayer solitaire at that count.

But (with admittedly only four plays) I've found Oh My Goods to be much preferred over the others above in terms of planning out which buildings to build, and whether to go for points on buildings or points in goods. And I like the press-your-luck aspect of sloppy vs efficient building and the resource availability in the market. I'm looking forward to the expansions being introduced in the US.

Yes I'm looking for the Longdale expansion too, still available from a store in Germany for reasonable shipping (maybe? relying on Google Translate here)

You might want to look into some of the Carl Chudyk games, like Innovation and Mottainai. I've only played a half a game of Innovation, and haven't played Mottaintai, but they might be something you'd be interested in.

Well Glory to Rome has attained mythical status according to the Secret Cabal guys so I'll check them out. Pity the artwork for both of those is kinda meh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.