Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Hamilton
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
Rule 4.1.4.2.2 Obstacle Higher or Equal:

Given on Map Board A.. Soviet T34/76 is in hex1110 and a German Pz-IVG is moving on a path and enters hex 2205. The T34 is at a height of 1 and the immediate hex to its front is also a height 1 hex. The Pz-IVG is moving at ground level (height 0) and all terrain between it and the T34 is ground level except the one hex (1210) in front of the T34. According to 4.1.4.2.2 the T34 would have its line of sight blocked to the Pz-IVG.

I laid out this situation using trigonmetry, and using the scale factors in the game: hex = 100 meters, Height levels = 3-8(used worst case 8) meters, and the height of a T34 rounded off at 3 meters, The T34 should be able to see the Pz-IVG (also 3 meters high) at approx. 800-900 meters and visa versa.

I think the rational of this rule is that the intervening equal height is further away from the unit trying to spot and not if it were the immediate hex in front of it. So, should the line of sight be totally blocked if the equal height "obstacle" is the hex immediately in front of you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Sola Ramos
Spain
Pilar de la Horadada
Alicante
flag msg tools
The Panzer Pusher gives you prestige!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When designing a game, some compromises are taken so there is a balance between playability and realism. This is one of such compromises. The rule is clear, so stick with the rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto
United States
San Bernardino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW. In my mind's eye if I'm standing in hex 1110 I can't see "over" the plateau in hex 1210 to a hex at lower elevation unless I move to the edge of the crest line (i.e. enter hex 1210). So this rule is intuitive to me. I can't argue with your math (even if I could understand it), but I think it would be extremely difficult to put it in the form of a rule. Again, FWIW. Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.