16 Posts

Perdition's Mouth: Abyssal Rift» Forums » General

Subject: First Plays rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex B
msg tools
mb
Well I played my first couple games in Perdition's Mouth. I've been having really good first impressions since opening up the box. Really nice components, good rule book, not a bad read at all, interesting, fluid rules.

Easy setup (I am just coming off of Gloomhaven). Initially there were a couple issues sorting out some of the cards as the two existing expansions came in the same box, but it was made clear prettily quick with a bit of research. Like I said, the components were nice, good quality, and fun to get into.

My first two games played well. Still had to check the rules on this and that as per normal for me starting out, but I don't see that happening for much longer. The first level is designed to get familiar with the game. I was really looking for a smooth, fluid game, and it delivered. And it still offers a lot of strategy and dynamic play. The rondels used work so well, adding so much to the mechanics, while eating up a lot of otherwise fiddly components.

The thematic side of things is good too. It's a dark theme, but it really fits well with the mechanics. Every character has their own decks. The ability's and texts, how the cards play really add to the feel of it all. And the punishing aspect, the wounds which get added to your deck and you play through the campaign work so well. Feels like a desperate struggle, a daring adventure.

I'd say a really good effort by the team who hand crafted this game. I'm really happy with what I've seen so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fear The Clown
msg tools
mbmbmb
I have much the same thoughts after just getting mine a few days ago. Presumably you picked up the gamers deluxe off the dragon Dawn store retail edition? I noticed it was still available after I bought mine then it disappeared a couple days later so I assume the last 1 was sold.

If I had a singular complaint about the game it would just be the need to look up a few things online. If you haven't already look at the errata PDF, there are a small handful of scenarios with misprints.

Anyway it is easily my favorite board game to date already, we'll see if it holds up when Gloomhaven arrives whenever that may be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex B
msg tools
mb
I'm still enjoying it very much. Still really appreciate how easy it is to setup, just to be able to sit down, spend maybe 5 minutes setting up the map then get right into the game.

I actually late backed a gamer's bundle through the Traitor Guard Expansion KS. Worked out pretty well. Timo was super helpful.

Yes I find myself looking up rules a little still, but defiantly much less. With the responsiveness of the creators this has actually turned into a bit of an enjoyable thing to do. The strategy and rules of the game are good, so it's kinda fun to discuss them. You'll see though they get quite clear and familiar, though there's so many situations you can get into sometimes a little extra insight is good to have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fear The Clown
msg tools
mbmbmb
Yea I played through my 2nd last night, and then promptly replayed 2a again after a chi'leen reeked havoc on me and it's becoming a smoother and smoother playthrough. I'm hoping to soon become essentially an encyclopedia in the game before I start introducing people to it because I know that can really make or break the experience for other people, having to dig through the manual.

Overall I just love that the game makes you think. It reminds me a lot of chess. Every other dungeon crawl has just had me going through the motions.

How many characters are you playing with? I started with 3 and decided to do 4 on my 2nd run of 2a. 4 seems like the sweet spot since it only increases your threat by 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex B
msg tools
mb
I keep being reminded of chess when I play it too. Taking the time to carefully think through your play as many moves ahead as you can. With a good blend of predictability and randomness to the enemies actions.

I used to just stick with three characters. My train of thought at the moment is to play with more than three if it doesn't bump up the number of enemies being spawned.

I bet Bobby Fisher would give the Cultists a hard time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fear The Clown
msg tools
mbmbmb
Yea I would definitely go 4 at least on the first few scenarios unless your threat has gone up from in game stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
feartheclown wrote:
Yea I would definitely go 4 at least on the first few scenarios unless your threat has gone up from in game stuff.

Remember that you can (and should) consider optimal hero amount (and team composition) for each scenario, separately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fear The Clown
msg tools
mbmbmb
Ah yes that's fair and that could sway based on the threat meter based on whether you're doing a campaign or one-shot to consider how high the threat meter is at the beginning.

Though of course more heroes means more people who have to reach the exit on those scenarios. Lots to consider!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
feartheclown wrote:
Ah yes that's fair and that could sway based on the threat meter based on whether you're doing a campaign or one-shot to consider how high the threat meter is at the beginning.

Though of course more heroes means more people who have to reach the exit on those scenarios. Lots to consider!

Some have described PM:AR as the "thinking man's dungeon crawler". I don't think that to be bad description.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fear The Clown
msg tools
mbmbmb
No absolutely not a bad thing, that is the reason I was up playing at 4am still last night!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
feartheclown wrote:
No absolutely not a bad thing, that is the reason I was up playing at 4am still last night!

Wow, quite late, indeed. I wish we'll reach more audience with PM:AR RE as there are plenty of cool things still to be gained... which would add hours upon hours of more play time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fear The Clown
msg tools
mbmbmb
Definitely agreed. The only thing this game lacks is hype to push it over the top. The mechanics of the game are just far above better than anything else I've played, the community just needs to keep spreading the word and hopefully there will be a tipping point as more sales for you guys means more content for us which I don't think anyone will complain about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex B
msg tools
mb
Yes the game is really solid, the mechanics just play so well and lead to some really interesting strategy. I wish Gloomhaven played as well as this. Imagine a combination of the open world RPG aspects of Gloomhaven combined with Perdition's Mouth's smooth playing, non-fiddly mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fear The Clown
msg tools
mbmbmb
Oh that is such a disappointing statement to hear as I have Gloomhaven on the way in the next couple months and hoped it would be close to as good. I suppose a fully card statement probably doesn't have quite the same strategics involved like PM since it utilizes the rondel which brings a lot of strategy into the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex B
msg tools
mb
feartheclown wrote:
Oh that is such a disappointing statement to hear as I have Gloomhaven on the way in the next couple months and hoped it would be close to as good. I suppose a fully card statement probably doesn't have quite the same strategics involved like PM since it utilizes the rondel which brings a lot of strategy into the game.

Oh I'd still look forward to Gloomhaven if I were you. You never know how a game will be till you play it. There's no doubt there is a lot more components and physical bits to manipulate with Gloomhaven, but you may find it's all worth it to be involved in the overarching story and character progression.

The beauty of Perdition's Mouth is the deep level of strategy achieved with such a simple interface.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fear The Clown
msg tools
mbmbmb
Oh I'm positive it will be great and better than anything I've played besides PM so no fear there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.