Subject: How do battles work? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gold Sirius
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
How do you fight monsters in this game?

I need to get a sense of the amount of randomness before I back this and I don't want to watch a 20-minute video.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Barber
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
GoldSirius wrote:
How do you fight monsters in this game?

I need to get a sense of the amount of randomness before I back this and I don't want to watch a 20-minute video.

Thanks.

Thanks for asking! During the game, you'll have a set of ability cards (starting with a core set of four, and then choosing new ones to add as you level up). Each card has two effects - one when you play it from your hand, and the other when you pick it back up from the board. You can activate 3 ability cards a turn, and you can't use the same one twice in a turn, so you're essentially solving a puzzle each round of how to do the most with your current cycle of abilities.

These ability cards are how you do everything; moving around the board, dealing damage, and various sneaky tricks. Cards that deal damage will have a range (how many spaces away you can target with it) and other effects. To defeat a monster, you have to deal damage equal to its health in a single turn. At the end of your turn, you'll take damage from any monsters nearby that you didn't defeat, and monsters will often have other effects causing them to deal damage at other times as well.

Since you're not shuffling a deck and drawing random cards, nor are you rolling dice to act, you know exactly what your character is capable of every turn, allowing you to plan out your moves fully ahead of time. While the arrangement of the board itself is fairly random, your effectiveness as a hero is not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gold Sirius
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
Since you're not shuffling a deck and drawing random cards, nor are you rolling dice to act, you know exactly what your character is capable of every turn, allowing you to plan out your moves fully ahead of time.

SOLD! Thank you for taking the time to answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.