Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Entering my first foray of this game, and read playbook, rules, and lots of forum threads. I think I've got a general bead on the operations and special actions and how they work, but wanted to make sure I understood all the details...

Here are my assertions. I'm sure some of this may seem like a "duh", apologies if so...

Government actions:

"Train" adds 4 Algerian forces of either type (troop/police) to any city, or sector with a Government base, or a sector
with government control and troops and police.
- Guerrilla presence, opposition, or FLN control do not affect the ability
to place these forces (except in the case of the last one above).
- Pacify has to be one of the selected spaces, not just any space.

"Garrison", for two resources total, lets you shuffle around 6 Police cubes in any number of
cities/sectors with 1+ pop or resettled status (LimOp=1 destination to move cubes to).
- Adjacency is not relevant here
- Presence of Guerrillas, opposition markers, or FLN control do not affect the ability to place these forces
- Pick one of the spaces you moved police from or to, activate guerrillas 1 for 1 against police cubes (or 1 for 2 in mountains)

"Sweep" - Move troops to adjacent sectors
- Every destination space, activate guerrillas 1 for 1 against cubes (or 1 for 2 in mountains)
- Unlike Garrison, Sweep uses both troops and police (cubes)

Sweep and Garrison Operations by themselves don't remove pieces, only expose them (activate them).

"Assault" - No questions on how this works.

"Deploy" special action - The "up to 3 spaces" where deploy can be performed can be completely independent spaces than
the spaces used by the action that the special action was paired with.
- Bases can be deployed anywhere there's a space for it in any sector or city
- What's the primary value of a base in a city?

"Troop Lift - Move French troops among 3 spaces
- Does this mean that you can pick 3 destination spaces and move troops there from other source sectors/cities?
- Or does it mean that you pick three sectors/cities, and mix and match French troops in those three specified regions (and available box) only?
- Presence of Guerrillas, opposition markers, or FLN control do not affect the ability to place these forces

"Neutralize" - Remove activated guerrillas
- The designated two spaces don't have to be spaces that were/will be used for corresponding garrison/sweep operation

FNL actions:

"Rally" - Unless it's a city with support, you can place guerrillas in Algeria
- If a *sector* has support, you can still place guerrillas there

"March" - No questions
- Unlike Government, they can move multiple times to same adjacent regions (in same Wilaya)

"Attack" - No questions

"Terror" - Simple enough

"Extort" - The spaces where extort can be performed can be completely independent spaces than

"Subvert" - The two (or one) spaces where subvert can be performed can be completely independent spaces than
- No activation of the guerrilla is required

"Ambush" - No questions

Thanks for any insight...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Generally, a very fine summary of the player aid card!

You seem to be quite sane, in my book...

General rule: the spaces selected for a Special Activity generally don't have to be the same ones as the accompany Operation took place.
The only exception is Ambush, which is a special kind of Attack.

Train: the permission for Government control and Troops and Police is just when the pivotal event "Recall de Gaulle" is in play.

Deploy: There's no huge value to place a Base in a city, except maybe to prevent the FLN from putting one there (a pretty remote chance). You need to have them out in the Sectors. Sector selected may have Base or Government control.

Troop Lift: pick up to 3 spaces. At least one of them has to have French Troops in them. Move the French Troops among those up to 3 spaces. The Available box is not a space and is not involved (just in a Deploy).

Sounds like you are ready to play!

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Auzette wrote:
"Sweep" - Move troops to adjacent sectors selected spaces
- Every destination selected space, activate guerrillas 1 for 1 against cubes (or 1 for 2 in mountains)
- Unlike Garrison, Sweep uses both troops and police (cubes)

Two corrections:
- Sweep may move Troops into Cities as well as into Sectors.
- There is no need to move any Troop into a space in order to Sweep it, so using the word "destination" can often be misleading. "Move any Troops desired" means that if you don't desire to move any Troops during your Sweep, you don't have to.

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heya. Thanks very much for responding and the clarifications on things I didn't have correct.

Quote:
Generally, a very fine summary of the player aid card!

Yeah, you're right, it was a well written player aid (plus a pictorial flowchart version that was uploaded here has helped as well).

Looking forward to diving into this tonight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Now there are two graphical player aids posted - have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:
Now there are two graphical player aids posted - have fun!

I noticed! Dang! I feel bad, which one do I use? They're both so grand!

(I'll stick with the original one for now, but boy... talk about pampered! )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I notice one uses a bit more text than the other.
Use which one is best for you - learning styles differ!

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola
Italy
Firenze
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oerjan wrote:

There is no need to move any Troop into a space in order to Sweep it, so using the word "destination" can often be misleading. "Move any Troops desired" means that if you don't desire to move any Troops during your Sweep, you don't have to.

Regards,
Oerjan

Great Oerjan!

as far as I know your statement definitely fixes the (somehow misspelt) rule: 'Sweep' can be performed in place.

Best,

Nicola

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
'Sweep' can be performed in place.

This is true of all COIN system games that use this operation, or one with an analogous title or function.
Yet every player seems to need to have it confirmed to them at least once while learning the game!

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.