Hide
7 Posts

King of Tokyo» Forums » Rules

Subject: Yielding Tokyo clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anna Banana
msg tools
Hello! Hopefully not too dumb of a question but I can't find a complete clarification in the rulebook...

I know a monster can only yield Tokyo when punched by another monster - but can they vacate Tokyo as soon as they take any damage, even if it's after the first roll of another player? Or does the monster need to stay in Tokyo until the end of the player's turn/dice resolve and take as many points of damage as may come up before yielding?

Thanks so much, appreciate the help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
annabanana16 wrote:
Hello! Hopefully not too dumb of a question but I can't find a complete clarification in the rulebook...

I know a monster can only yield Tokyo when punched by another monster - but can they vacate Tokyo as soon as they take any damage, even if it's after the first roll of another player? Or does the monster need to stay in Tokyo until the end of the player's turn/dice resolve and take as many points of damage as may come up before yielding?

Thanks so much, appreciate the help

No damage is assigned until after the current player finalizes her dice roll. So the player in Tokyo will always take the full amount of damage rolled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First all dice are rolled/rerolled.

Then all dice are resolved by face (all dice with the same face must be resolved at the same time).

So all claws are resolved at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In other words, the dice don't do anything until the player has used all their rerolls or decided to stop rolling.

(I think there's a card in KoNY that breaks this convention.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Piggy back:

So does that mean that when you yield, the last monster/player to hurt you is now forced to occupy Tokyo city?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BIgLatinDude wrote:
Piggy back:

So does that mean that when you yield, the last monster/player to hurt you is now forced to occupy Tokyo city?
Yes? I'm not sure I understand the question. It just seems really obvious.

By the old rules, when a monster yields, the monster who rolled the claws enters Tokyo.
By the new rules, if Tokyo is empty, you enter it during that phase of the turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BIgLatinDude wrote:
Piggy back:

You can only yield immediately after you are damaged by a player rolling Claws.
(Semi)Regardless of version, the next thing that happens is "check if Tokyo is open > enter Tokyo if open".

There are a few cards that can mess with the above, but they are quite clear in that they are doing something different than the normal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.