Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Massive Darkness» Forums » Rules

Subject: Special Skill clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
So ive seen reference to this already and the ruling was these are free actions that DONT count as an attack (so no counter attack)... and ive been trying to figure out where to verify those claims in the rule book but cant.

So Bjorns headbutt and Elias Zap skill do direct damage to an enemy, but dont count as an attack? how does that work out. Even combat actions dont directly reference being an attack. But all enemies counter attack if attacked. So my real question here is what counts as an attack? I cant find a definition for it in game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Attacks involve gathering dice for your weapons, gathering the defense dice of your opponent, and rolling them, activating enchantments, etc.

The Skills that just happen to roll some dice and do damage are thus not attacks.

For a rulebook definition, look at Combat on page 36:
"Combat rules apply when an Actor, called the Attacker, performs
an Attack on another, called the Defender."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
While I understand the terminology there, it's hard to separate out a headbutt NOT being an attack on a character. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are usually once per activation and don't use one of your three actions, nor your weapon's stats when you roll the dice.

Also, all attacks list the "Melee:", "Range:", or "Magic:" before them. Some also list "Attack:" if they can be used with any weapon type. Headbutt doesn't list this first so it's not an attack.

This can be a bit confusing with some abilities. For instance level 1 Charge for Barbarians just list Charge, but the rules tell you to move and then make a melee attack after. A lot of the Slippery-type abilities that automatically wound an enemy don't trigger a counter attack since they aren't attacks either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.