Subject: How tall ... do my fleet stands need to be for TI4? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear BGGers who already own TI4 ... I made some fleet stands recently, for TI3 and other such games, and I gave them 1.5" legs.

Then I noticed the warsuns in TI4 grew taller! Should I invest in a supply of 2" legs?

How tall are those warsuns, anyway?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
New War Suns are 1 and 3/8th's inches tall. Safe!

Unless 1.5" was the full leg height and not the clearance to the bottom of the acrylic, in which case they might just barely not work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet! Thanks for the quick answer. More leg = more money, so .... whew.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK Levine
United States
Rossville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, are you planning to sell sets? I think there'd definitely be a market for it, especially if you were able to produce both sizes (TI4 hexes are a little bit larger than TI3).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pkitty wrote:
So, are you planning to sell sets? I think there'd definitely be a market for it, especially if you were able to produce both sizes (TI4 hexes are a little bit larger than TI3).

Thanks, I've sold a few, it finances my hobby The Litko stands have been out a long time; I think these are much sturdier, blingier, and they don't have to cost much more.

They are 80mm across, slightly smaller than a TI3 tile. That size maximizes the yield from a standard acrylic sheet size. The TI4 tiles are only a bit larger than TI3's, so I don't see a need for a larger size (unless I'm wrong...?) The tables being smaller than the hexes looks better, and leaves room between them if there are several out in adjacent tiles.

Here's what they look like. Next variations to try will be 1) black anodized legs, and 2) countersunk screws on the top for a smooth surface and cleaner look.

EDIT: I just saw where Mr. Williams said TI4 tiles are 4" (101.6mm) across! Bigger than I thought ...

Well, yes, I can make them any size, just raises cost a bit. I just drew some up that are 96mm across

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wagner
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why does War Sun height matter? Don't you put all of the ships on top of the stand?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwagner wrote:
Why does War Sun height matter? Don't you put all of the ships on top of the stand?

The idea is that the attacker loads his fleet up on a table, then places that table on the space being invaded.

The stands can also be used for extra space, if a player has a lot of unit on a tile and they are spilling over!

In either case, need to be sure the tables will clear the tallest unit.

I've seen some game setups where all the fleet were on stands, leaving only counters on the board. Makes for a cleaner space. Can take a lot of stands in large games tho!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan McCullough
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Curious -- has anyone done 'fleet tokens' and a board, so lets say you have 5 ships in fleet A, and 7 in B.

you have a fleet board that has A, B, C, D, E on it.

You put all your big fleets on the fleet board, take the corrosponding token and place it on the hex instead.

Then, you move the token around. Could look cool if done as colored acrylic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wagner
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aesthetocyst wrote:
jeffwagner wrote:

The idea is that the attacker loads his fleet up on a table, then places that table on the space being invaded.

OH, I see. I was thinking just keeping all of your fleets on the stands. Do you cut all these by hand?
Looks like a lot of time and effort, though the results look professional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Roman
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the look of your fleet stands, especially the colors for each player.

One of my friends in our gaming group has his TI3 blinged out, including clear acrylic fleet stands. When we've played TI3, we were generally happy with the convenience and organization they offered. We also had a discussion about what should be displayed on them, and ultimately ruled that only ships belong there- PDS and GFs belong on the planet (except for indicating in-transit status).

We experimented with fleet tokens a couple of times, but there was still a lot of inquiries about, "What's in Fleet 3, again?".

It would have been interesting if FFG produced individual flight stands for the TI4 ships as was mentioned in the SUSD documentary. However, both fleet/flight stands suffer from storage problems- there's just no room left in the coffin box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adonai_80 wrote:
Curious -- has anyone done 'fleet tokens' and a board ... Could look cool if done as colored acrylic?

I haven't played TI that way, no (not yet?). If each player had a screened fleet board, this could be a way to add a layer of hidden information. Some surprise, subterfuge. Hmmmmmmm

And yeah, etched/paintfilled acrylic tokens, or combining two layers with different colors/textures of acrylic, can make beautiful tokens or standees!

jeffwagner wrote:
Do you cut all these by hand?
Looks like a lot of time and effort, though the results look professional.

Hey thanks! And heck no ... laser cutter

tommygunn2011 wrote:
I really like the look of your fleet stands, especially the colors for each player ... One of my friends in our gaming group has his TI3 blinged out, including clear acrylic fleet stands ... we were generally happy with the convenience and organization they offered ... no room left in the coffin box ...

Thanks as well. I, too, find these helpful, thus the upgrade effort. I have TI3 with both expansions, and yes, that's a very full box if you pile it all in. I bet TI4 is pretty full yet (no firsthand TI4 experience yet, thus asking questions here!).

These do break down for easy storage (legs unscrew), they can also be put to work as display stands when not playing a game with them. And, of course, you don't really need that many of them, I just found myself wanting more and more and in different colors, etc LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan McCullough
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could make Acrylic holders with a space for a command counter token to be inserted - like a flag on the top, then just have A,B,C,D,E,F doesn't have to be multi-colored.

Anyway, wishful thinking =]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adonai_80 wrote:
Could make Acrylic holders with a space for a command counter token to be inserted - like a flag on the top, then just have A,B,C,D,E,F doesn't have to be multi-colored.

Anyway, wishful thinking =]

Why only wishful thinking? Give it a go, and if it works for your group, have some tokens and corresponding boards made!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aesthetocyst wrote:
pkitty wrote:

... I just saw where Mr. Williams said TI4 tiles are 4" (101.6mm) across! Bigger than I thought ...

So here we go, 94mm tables, and with black legs:

They'll have more space on TI4's larger tiles.

94mm hex tables are 38% larger than 80mm ones:

The 2 sizes and leg finishes:

The larger size won't work with all my games, but will work with either TI3 or TI4, which is their primary intent.

Now I just need a copy of TI4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aesthetocyst wrote:
.... Now I just need a copy of TI4

... and I finally have one! So here are the stands on TI4 tiles, with TI4 bits. And yes, they clear the warsuns just fine, thanks forum for the input!

Clear has been popular ...

... but I like the light blues better, really fades into the galactic tableau

Also liking the brass legs. I thought they would be too much, but they look like they belong right in TI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.