Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: I take it back rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
I've been quite a critic of this game.
Initially I was excited by it, and backed at mapmaker level, so basically I got everything at the start and didn't really pay a heap of attention to the campaign.
Then the game took forever to come out, and when I finally got the base sets (late, Oz got theirs forever after everyone else) I was in the middle of getting married (I read the rulebooks on my honeymoon.) I played the game and it was what was advertised (a FFP version of Warhammer Quest) but I was a bit underwhelmed. Didn't understand the need for 2 base sets (which meant their was a bit of unnecessary duplication) and the game seemed a bit limited in scope compared to WHQ. I also suspect I was enjoying different games at the time, I remember thinking the game was a bit tactically shallow, anyway my impression was "it's OK".

Then we waited forever for Wave 2. They seemed to be messing around with things and suddenly there were bits that weren't included in my 'all in' pledge that pissed me off because I specifically do 'all in' so I don't have to work that shit out. Then they changed the hero models, the whole thing seemed to become bit of a mess and I was pissed off by wave 1.5 which I didn't bother with. I ended up feeling negative towards this game and became bit of a critic of it.
Forbidden Fortress came out, I took a look, posted a few comments andgladly passed.

Then Wave 2 was coming. I really didn't give a shit at this point - while with other KS from shipping notification to actual delivery is a hard wait, this one came with no anticipation. In fact I was a bit of the mindset "it's going to be a chore sorting through this shit and gluing those f'n minis!", being a bit exhausted already from Sword and Sorcery and Massive Darkness. It arrived at the doorstep, opened the box...

and holy fuck.
So first I'm confused. Shit everywhere - how the hell am I meant to know what everything is since next to nothing was in it's retail packaging.
So I start sorting and eventually work out the system of where everything is and how they packaged it, and start going through the manifest I got with wave one one 'expansion' at a time, a bit each night, assembling minis and sorting the cards and reading the rules from one set before moving to the next.
I think I'm about 35% through maybe? I have done all the heroes, all the allies, and half of the themed missions. I haven't touched ANY of the big expansion stuff yet, it's still all in shrink. Maybe I've only done 25% then.
And all I can say is wow!
a) I never realized just how much stuff we were getting. This smashes any other KS i've backed. Whereas CMON's strech goals banners seem to be more than they really amount to, the opposite has happened here. A banner wasn't just a couple of figures, it's a total module with whole card decks, figures, tiles, tokens. These aren't typical KS artificial expansions, these are the real things.
b) They really worked on this game while I wasn't paying attention. These aren't bullshit CMON 'expansions' which is a ton of figures and 2 rule changes. These are properly developed items chock full of new ideas and tons of material to read through. It seems a lot of the issues I had with the game have been addressed and FFP have grown as game developers.

So I guess the point of this rant is that I take all my negativity back, they have really worked on this game and it looks awesome. And I haven't opened more than half of wave 2 yet.

I almost regret not backing Forbidden Fortress now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
I too was impressed with all the detail added in enemy packs, from spell decks to new AI rules to new missions and so on. It has improved with every release.

I'm really excited to play the full boat experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can still late back Forbidden Fortress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Jorune wrote:

Apart from the cost increase is late backing exactly the same - do I get everything including KS exclusives?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep absolutely the same, the price increase is 25 or 50 more than the ks price I think. The only difference is of course that it doesn't contribute to the stretch goals, but that's a given usually.

Keep in mind that this will be nowhere near the deal that we got with the first kickstarter. Still very nice though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Florio
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
Jorune wrote:

Apart from the cost increase is late backing exactly the same - do I get everything including KS exclusives?

Yep! You get the exclusives as well!

I would back if I were you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Stantz
Australia
Central Coast
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn’t get wave 1.5 as well and wow, that was a huge box of stuff that turned up at my door that I’m so happy I finally got.
Still glad I didn’t back Shadows of Brimstone: Forbidden Fortress though, there is so much content in the first Kickstarter that I doubt I’ll ever get around to playing it all let alone finding the room to store it unless I kick my young kids out devil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Llewellyn
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mainly backed FF as I really wanted the "belly of the beast" other world, yes I'm a sucker for punishment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waggly Bean
United Kingdom
Walsall
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
knightstalker30 wrote:
I mainly backed FF as I really wanted the "belly of the beast" other world, yes I'm a sucker for punishment.

Same. I'm quite indifferent to the Japanese theme, but the Belly of the Beast is too cool not to give it a go. I'm looking forward to seeing more info on stuff like the Gastral Tyrant!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan DeLano
United States
West Valley City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome to hear that you're finally getting your moneys worth out of the game, Frank.

On a side note regarding FFP growing as developers and improving production values as a whole, it is jarring at this point when our group runs into a base game monster. The difference in difficulty (and the models sculpt) is staggering. In our last session, the Goliath appeared as our epic encounter along with the darkstone hydra as a "low" threat. The Hydra was much more interesting and dangerous than the Goliath, whom we ignored until the very end and then one-shotted. I almost wish we could get a revised set of monster cards for the base game monsters. Even on their brutal side (we're level 5), it's just a joke compared to the newer stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wagglybean wrote:
knightstalker30 wrote:

Same. I'm quite indifferent to the Japanese theme, but the Belly of the Beast is too cool not to give it a go. I'm looking forward to seeing more info on stuff like the Gastral Tyrant!

Me too. I also wanted the Magma Fiends that are for the Caverns of Cynder. Than there is the Tredarran Hero.

I late backed for the base $125 pledge. They have said that when the pledge manager opens, you would be able to up the pledge, which I just might...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Manning
United States
Bay City
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought you wrote "magna friends" for a second there. Made me laugh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pleased you like the game Mr. Skeletor since you went all-in and got yourself a space on the game map.

Flying Frog is aware of the mistakes they made on the Shadows of Brimstone kickstarter, but I believe they worked really hard to remedy the problems they could fix. As far as communication with backers goes, Scott Hill mentioned at the Wave 2 pickup in Redmond, WA that Flying Frog learned they were making things worse when they tried to clarify previous statements / press releases, so they decided to stay quiet and go heads-down on completing the Kickstarter. They were basically in crunch mode working nights, weekends, and holidays for 18 months or more. The manufacturing process in China hit some rough patches too for reasons that weren't always Flying Frog's fault.

It's my impression that Jason and Scott Hill didn't get rich or improve the quality of life for themselves or their employees with the Shadows of Brimstone Kickstarter if it's any consolation for people who are still angry with Flying Frog. I have to give them respect for completing the Kickstarter instead of just filing for bankruptcy and shutting down the company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Autoduelist wrote:
I'm pleased you like the game Mr. Skeletor since you went all-in and got yourself a space on the game map.

Flying Frog is aware of the mistakes they made on the Shadows of Brimstone kickstarter, but I believe they worked really hard to remedy the problems they could fix. As far as communication with backers goes, Scott Hill mentioned at the Wave 2 pickup in Redmond, WA that Flying Frog learned they were making things worse when they tried to clarify previous statements / press releases, so they decided to stay quiet and go heads-down on completing the Kickstarter. They were basically in crunch mode working nights, weekends, and holidays for 18 months or more. The manufacturing process in China hit some rough patches too for reasons that weren't always Flying Frog's fault.

It's my impression that Jason and Scott Hill didn't get rich or improve the quality of life for themselves or their employees with the Shadows of Brimstone Kickstarter if it's any consolation for people who are still angry with Flying Frog. I have to give them respect for completing the Kickstarter instead of just filing for bankruptcy and shutting down the company.

They improved their life alright. These guys are freakin rockstars to a lot of us! Who would you rather be Ty Cobb(the greatest player of all time kind of) or David Price who is making a lot of money and can't pitch for crap anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
I admit, I was trying to address the "Greedy Frogs" accusation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Still waiting in the US with no shipping notification yet. Please tell me they haven't finished shipping yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Michalski
United States
West Homestead
PA
flag msg tools
paddirn wrote:
Still waiting in the US with no shipping notification yet. Please tell me they haven't finished shipping yet?

No, they haven't finished yet. They are working on Britain and eu, and shipping some Americans in between.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Why were we not in the movie?
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome back to the obsession. And isn't there a mountain named after you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't been as vocal about my distaste for how everything unfolded, but you've put together a pretty accurate accounting of the exact same thoughts I had when my remaining Minecart materials arrived.

I actually just finished painting the the City of the Ancients figures a few weeks ago and I'm really looking forward now to hopefully making it a regular title. The amount of stuff I now possess for this game is unreal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Festertester
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad I did not back this at Kickstarter level and wait years to get my product. I managed to get everything at a deep discount used or on sale at retail.

The only thing I really had to pay extra for was an outlaw character and even with that I still basically got everything for roughly 45% off retail on average.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.J.
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife would'a had a couple more dark stones if I didn't back FF. When I initially backed SoB and pointed out the game to her (she's like weird west) she asked what I pledged at - the basic core set level) and she made me go full mine cart.

My wife is pretty awesome.

I only got my stuff last month. SO freakin' much stuff since I didn't opt for 1.5 - I would have done that if I knew the kind of delay there was going to be, but I don't regret the mine cart one bit. By Grabthar's hammer - what a savings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Mader
msg tools
wagglybean wrote:

Honestly though, I bet you could never touch the new hero classes and just use the Forbidden Fortress as another (deeper than most) Otherworld for your established characters. Cowboys in feudal Japan could be a pretty fun experience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome back the fold, brother! Come bask with us in the glow of Brimstone, and may It's endless content defeat any table or storage option thine might conceive of.

- Jee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
necroloid123 wrote:
Glad I did not back this at Kickstarter level and wait years to get my product. I managed to get everything at a deep discount used or on sale at retail.

The only thing I really had to pay extra for was an outlaw character and even with that I still basically got everything for roughly 45% off retail on average.

Glad you were able too. I have no issue having backed at Minecart years ago and paying waaaay less than 45% off retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian Souvey

Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"I take all my negativity back" this feels like a green mile thing and he should be spitting out Flies any second now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.