Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Techno Wizard
Australia
Armidale
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Greetings all,

I play Netrunner entirely at home, with my wife and a few friends. We are very casual, going through periods of heavy play, to none at all. My collection of cards is the source of all our decks. As we play at home, the meta is of no concern to us (we have our own meta!), and none of us net deck.

I am looking for advice on two topics: card collection and rotation.

As I am a casual player, I do not think I need to buy all the current cards, nor keep up with the release cycle. What I would like to do, is get a set of cards that works well, without having to get everything. I envision a set of cards we can all use to make decks, that has enough variety to keep it fresh.

I currently play with 2 core boxes, all the Genesis data packs, and the Creation and Control expansion. I have 4/6 data packs for Spin, all unopened. I also have 2/6 from Lunar, unopened.

I have read that the Spin and Genesis data packs will be moving out of rotation, so I am considering whether I need to snap up the last 2 Spin packs or no. I have also read that the card rotation may happen every year or so, which would leave me further "behind" each time.

Ok, so that's an essay worth of background, here's my questions:

1) What is a good set of cards to play with? I have read that some people just use the expansions, and skip the data packs. Where should I draw my line in the sand?

2) Based on the above, is it worth picking up the last 2 Spin data packs? I feel like I should to round out the cycle.

Any other advice / info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Billings
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's probably worth picking up the last 2 spin packs before they go out of print. With that you'll be able to construct the entire Revised Core Set card pool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, finish the first two cycles before they run out. There are cards from all 12 packs which survive in the new core, and since you're almost there it's cheaper than buying up to several new cores. Since you don't care about rotation that's 120 new cards for you to enjoy.

A good set of cards is whatever seems fun. Just look at the small expansions (data packs) on NetrunnerDB and see if they add anything of interest for you. Usually there's a theme of new mechanics/interactions with each cycle of cards for FFG's LCGs.

I'd at least make sure I have all the deluxe expansions though, because that's the largest pile of new cards you can get at once for any faction (70+ new cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Techno Wizard
Australia
Armidale
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Grimwalker wrote:
It's probably worth picking up the last 2 spin packs before they go out of print. With that you'll be able to construct the entire Revised Core Set card pool.

While I'm not overly concerned with the contents of the Revised Core Set, this is still relevant, as it gives me more options for the future; good point!

gnurf wrote:
Yes, finish the first two cycles before they run out. There are cards from all 12 packs which survive in the new core, and since you're almost there it's cheaper than buying up to several new cores. Since you don't care about rotation that's 120 new cards for you to enjoy.

I was certainly leaning towards getting those 2 packs. I think I'll pick them up now, as you said, before they are out of print.

gnurf wrote:
A good set of cards is whatever seems fun. Just look at the small expansions (data packs) on NetrunnerDB and see if they add anything of interest for you. Usually there's a theme of new mechanics/interactions with each cycle of cards for FFG's LCGs.

I guess my main concern was the introduction of new mechanics and "game shifting" cards that may invalidate or cause problems for early cards. I do like your advice though: I will spend some time on NRDB and see what I like the look of.

As an aside, I'm also a bit worried that if I do pick up data packs in order, it is likely that I will be near a card rotation, and availability may be an issue.

gnurf wrote:
I'd at least make sure I have all the deluxe expansions though, because that's the largest pile of new cards you can get at once for any faction (70+ new cards).

This was my original plan: just pick up all the deluxe expansions. I have the first one, and it feels a bit unbalanced for the other factions (i.e. I have way more HB and Shaper than the rest).

Thanks for the help so far, it helping me formulate a plan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Howard
msg tools
mbmbmb
The purpose of set rotation is to keep tournament play from getting stagnant. Among other reasons, certain card combinations become overpowered to the point that they become must-includes, such that newer cards are released but seldom used. By cycling through what cards are available, it keeps tournament players forever on their toes, having to deal with new card combinations without being able to rely on the old tried and true.

Since you don't care about the meta, card rotation is meaningless to you. The Genesis/Spin cycles should be viable for your group for as long as you want it to be. I'd finish off the Spin cycle, personally, just because cycles are playtested as a whole. Also, I hate incomplete things and last I heard, once the cards cycle out, they will no longer be reprinted.

Since you are providing the card pool for everybody, the deluxes are probably the best value as you can get the remaining 3 deluxes for about the price of a single cycle, but you'll end up with more cards from it. (Each deluxe is about 150 cards, while a cycle is 360 total)

After that, just buy what you feel like buying, if you even feel like you need more at that point. Rotation won't affect you outside of older sets becoming hard to find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Techno Wizard
Australia
Armidale
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Sqorgar wrote:
The purpose of set rotation is to keep tournament play from getting stagnant. Among other reasons, certain card combinations become overpowered to the point that they become must-includes, such that newer cards are released but seldom used. By cycling through what cards are available, it keeps tournament players forever on their toes, having to deal with new card combinations without being able to rely on the old tried and true.

I understand the purpose of set rotation, but thank you for explaining it. I think it's a great idea for the majority of players; I can't fault FFG on that one.

Sqorgar wrote:
Since you don't care about the meta, card rotation is meaningless to you. The Genesis/Spin cycles should be viable for your group for as long as you want it to be. I'd finish off the Spin cycle, personally, just because cycles are playtested as a whole. Also, I hate incomplete things and last I heard, once the cards cycle out, they will no longer be reprinted.

I feel the pain of incompleteness! That is part of the reason I'm trying to "draw a line in the sand". I will pick up the last 2 Spin packs (FGG should pay y'all commission!). It is interesting that the cycles are playtested as a whole: I guess you may as well get all the packs in a cycle.

Sqorgar wrote:
Since you are providing the card pool for everybody, the deluxes are probably the best value as you can get the remaining 3 deluxes for about the price of a single cycle, but you'll end up with more cards from it. (Each deluxe is about 150 cards, while a cycle is 360 total)

Do any of the deluxe expansions introduce new, game changing mechanics? If so, do they need other data packs to support them?

Sqorgar wrote:
After that, just buy what you feel like buying, if you even feel like you need more at that point. Rotation won't affect you outside of older sets becoming hard to find.

I guess my biggest worry is FOMO. What if I want the next cycle, but it's rotated out? I think you are right though: there is a good chance I won't need any more cards.

Again, thanks for all the great replies! I'm sort of "thinking out loud" with my replies, so this has been very helpful
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
Techno Wizard wrote:
Do any of the deluxe expansions introduce new, game changing mechanics?

Strategy-changing maybe, but usually nothing like a cycle introducing Jackson Howard

It's generally more options with LCGs, rather than more power. They've made a few missteps which the rotation will correct somewhat, but the power of a card is generally related to the cost of playing it, so they just change the hows rather than add one to every number, like some booster-based games did.

Quote:
If so, do they need other data packs to support them?

The deluxe sets are independent - hence the evergreen status. They do not rely on data packs, but some cards in various cycles are likely to work better of deluxe set cards.

Deluxe sets are great investments if you get all of them (and unbalanced with fewer, as you've noticed). Data packs can be risky things in the long run, but good if you play actively with other people.

Netrunner is popular enough that you still can get all of the first two cycles. If you have the urge to get more cards somebody probably has them to sell to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the deluxe sets are just really good to round out their specific factions. They do not contain broken cards, but instead flesh out the factions way more, and give each faction more options.
I absolutely recommend them.

The HB side of Creation & Control is noticably less useful than some of the other ones, but the Shaper side has lots of interesting stuff, and I think HB is fine anyway.
And if you get Android: Netrunner – Terminal Directive, the HB cards in that certainly make up for it.

I agree on not worrying about rotation otherwise. As far as I can tell, the big boxes and Genesis + Spin should be a very fine card pool to play with.
Since you don't net deck, it is also much less likely/ will take you longer to find the super strong decks and combinations.
And should you find that certain cards make your play less fun, just don't play them -- that's what my partner and I generally do, and in a small group of players, this works very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Techno Wizard
Australia
Armidale
New South Wales
flag msg tools
My apologies for not replying to this thread sooner: I've been very busy with work (and sick kids!).

Thank you all for the informative replies.

I will certainly pick up the last 2 data packs from Spin. I will hold onto my 2 packs from Lunar; I may or may not keep them. Once we are playing more regularly, I will start collecting the Deluxe expansions.

Again, thanks for all the help. I now have a plan going forward!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Billings
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, once you've gotten more cards consider do removing the cards that rotated out from Genesis and Spin and the original Core Set. The latter especially were removed with an eye toward casual players. Consider a feast-or-famine card like Accelerated Beta Test: If it picks three ice to rez for free, it's likely to feel super bad for the runner. Likewise it's going to feel super bad the first time your Beta Team comes into work drunk and throws perfectly good agendas in the trash.

Overally, the "Revised Core Set" is a pretty good play experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy scott
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can pick up a terminal directive campaign (I've seem them as cheap as $26 here in the states), as a casual player, we have been having a blast, and its totally worth it for the 12-14 plays you get, and is very themey. Also, if you do it right, you can play through once as the corp and the runner, just don't tear up the cards, and sleeve them and don't add the stickers but slide them into the sleeves with the cards...

I've love playing it so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.