Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve G
United States
West Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m late to the party, but I just got Scythe and it’s great. I’ve only played solo so far but someday soon this will get to the table with friends. And it took me 5 attempts but I just won a game against Automaszyna!

So I’m excited for the Wind Gambit, but after reading the rules off Stonemaier’s website, I’m also confused….

I have to collect steel to deploy mechs but I don’t need to build up to this massive airship? I just get it at the start of the game for free?
And this massive airship can transport either 3 resources or 2 workers, but a mech can transport any number of resources and workers when it moves? Even a single worker can drag around any number of resources when they move….
And it doesn't get to participate in combat, and it doesn't get any new actions?

So “hooray for coming airships” I guess….

But what I’d really like to know is when is the cavalry coming?

The beautiful artwork shows mounted soldiers on at least 3 of the 4 combat cards, 3 of the 5 character mats, 1 of the combat dials, and the cover of the box, so the world of scythe deserves some cavalry units!

Maybe a cheap combat unit that can cross rivers but doesn’t get any mech abilities, and maybe gets to add one combat card to combat but can’t spend any power. And would need some player mat extensions with new action to deploy cavalry units, maybe spend food+steel to convert a worker to cavalry, or something like that….

Yes, so when is the cavalry coming?

<insert My Little Scythe joke here>

Thus ends my midnight rant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In original designs for Scythe, players had lots of different units they managed on the map, including cavalry, but we found that juggling lots of different unit types provided mental overload for playtesters. So we assimilated the ideas of those units into the main unit types, particularly characters and mechs.

So it was quite a surprise to me when Kai introduce the idea of a new unit type on the Scythe Facebook group...the surprise was that I really liked it. It wasn't just another unit that felt like the other units but slightly different. It's very much it's own thing, and the fact that they have a combination of 2 different abilities each game (in addition to their core abilities) makes them stand out among the existing 3 units. I hope you give them a chance before dismissing them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hogue
United States
O'fallon
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a play tester for The Wind Gambit. The airships are well-balanced, which means they can be useful or be ignored by different players in the same game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carighan Maconar
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
In original designs for Scythe, players had lots of different units they managed on the map, including cavalry, but we found that juggling lots of different unit types provided mental overload for playtesters. So we assimilated the ideas of those units into the main unit types, particularly characters and mechs.

And I have to say, I really really like this part. I don't think my group would be playing a round of Scythe every Thursday evening if it had unit types to juggle like crazy. We don't want to play a wargame, after all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav W
Sweden
Lund
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cavalry in a high tech 1920s theme? No please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve G
United States
West Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jamey. I’d love to hear more about what other ideas didn’t make the final cut.

And don’t get me wrong, I’m not completely dismissing it. I’m definitely want to try the Wind Gambit, it just seems really odd right now.

Carighan wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:

And I have to say, I really really like this part. I don't think my group would be playing a round of Scythe every Thursday evening if it had unit types to juggle like crazy. We don't want to play a wargame, after all

I really like this part too. Scythe has the right amount of game in the box. But now, give me more in an expansion!

EricHogue wrote:
I was a play tester for The Wind Gambit. The airships are well-balanced, which means they can be useful or be ignored by different players in the same game.

They look balanced. But then, if every player gets exactly one airship and they all have exactly the same abilities I imagine they should be very well balanced. The advanced rules for everyone to have different abilities sounds more interesting so I’m glad that’s included as a variant.

But also, this is exactly why it feels odd to me. Why can I ignore this massive airship over my territory?

When your mech is stomping towards me, I ignore it at the risk of it driving off my workers and stealing my resources. And maybe I’m okay with that because you’ll lose some popularity. Or maybe my worker retreats, carrying all his resources with him. Or maybe my mech runs out to fight it off. So I’ve got choices to make.

Which is the other thing -I can ignore the massive airship over my territory because I pretty much have to ignore the massive airship over my territory, right? It sounds like if the right airship tiles are in play, my airship can at least fight yours but otherwise can I do anything except wave at it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Why can I ignore this massive airship over my territory?" --I'd say it's similar to if hot air balloons or planes fly over your house all the time. You might be aware of them, but they're up in the sky, while your life is on the ground.

"I can ignore the massive airship over my territory because I pretty much have to ignore the massive airship over my territory, right?" --Nope, you need to pay attention to all airships, because all airships have an aggressive ability that will interact directly with you.

"It sounds like if the right airship tiles are in play, my airship can at least fight yours but otherwise can I do anything except wave at it?" --There's one airship tile that involves airship to airship combat. Yes, you can wave at the airship miniatures if you'd like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve G
United States
West Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Yes, you can wave at the airship miniatures if you'd like.

Well, now I look forward to doing this!

If only the folks on the expansion box cover were waving to the passing airship..... from the back of a horse!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Stewart
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
probablemagic wrote:
If only the folks on the expansion box cover were waving to the passing airship..... from the back of a horse!

Horse-shaped hot air balloons. Boom, problem solved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hogue
United States
O'fallon
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
probablemagic wrote:
They look balanced. But then, if every player gets exactly one airship and they all have exactly the same abilities I imagine they should be very well balanced.

I meant, they are balanced compared to characters and mechs. I don't recall seeing useless airships, nor must-use airships.

Quote:
But also, this is exactly why it feels odd to me. Why can I ignore this massive airship over my territory?

Historically, air units don't hold territories; they support ground troops. You don't ignore them, but they are a different kind of threat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.