BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Queries and Problems

Subject: Chasing foreign rights holders of images rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Chalmers
Australia
flag msg tools
Hi all,

My friend and I have designed a card game which we're almost ready to publish.

It's a fast paced modern military game with unique game mechanics and we've decided to go with photo images, rather than illustrated ones.

My issue is trying to contact rights holders of certain images from China. The standard approach of contacting the website which hosts images is yet to yield success. A Chinese work colleague has said don't worry about it but I'd prefer to cover all my bases just in case.

Just wondering if anyone else has gone down this road before and how do they deal with it?

The images I'm trying to get permission to use are of Chinese Special Forces.

I can't wait to try and add North Korean units :-)

Cheers

Pydna

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried looking for pictures that are already explicitly free to use?

Google has a filter for this in the advanced settings of its image search--I wouldn't trust it completely, but it could be a useful starting point (check the individual sites to confirm licenses).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Chalmers
Australia
flag msg tools
Hi Jeremy

Yes I did that for the vast majority of the cards, however these ones are not showing up through the Google Advanced Search filter.

I have a lead on a different Chinese website so I'm following that too.

Just want to get this stuff checked off so we get published.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Does China even have copyright laws?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Chalmers
Australia
flag msg tools
lol - well yeah they do have copyright laws. They signed up to international agreements but I get your point.

A friend who is chinese said that it almost impossible to track down the legitimate rights holders as everyone pretty much copies everything.

But I figure I have to try.

The next game we're working on will be using created artwork - engaging an artist so at least we'll know where we stand for that project.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.