John Avon
Larry Elmore
Jesper Myrfors
Ron Spencer
Mark Tedin
Nènè Thomas
Drew Tucker
Pete Venters

I thought that alone would trigger increased interest, but maybe we are all just spoiled But with some of the best artists in the history of the game, what can go wrong?

- John Avon made the best lands ever in Magic
- Larry Elmore of Magic but even more importantly TSR and D&D- fame is there (can we have a Dragon, please?)
- Pete Venters with his unmistakable, detailed style which often Looks very pointy and sharp, as if you could cut yourself on his art
- Nene Thomas and her beautiful fairy tale pics
- Ron Spencer who I loved because of his Garou
- Jesper Myfors who made lots of the original iconic art of the first sets, special mention goes to "Elves Of Deep Shadow", one of my favorite pics of the time
- Mark Tedin whose pics are always too small to enjoy all the Details he puts in
- Drew Tucker who is certainly one of the most distinct artists in TCGs ever

are some of my absolute favorite Magic artists. Great choise. I would have wished for Rob Alexander, too, but hey, here are seven artists more than unusal, so you won't see me complaining. The different styles will add to the flavour the game and compliment the design.

I played the game and look forward to the release. Magic is still one of my all-time favorite games, and while CoM does not resemble Magic, it cannot deny the craft of its maker. Really good game, as far as I can say after one play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A Game by Ruchard Garfield with 8 Magic artists?
I am intersted for sure, but with so little information available, it is hard to really be hyped

So how do you play the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Keller
Germany
Dietzenbach
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
I am intersted for sure, but with so little information available, it is hard to really be hyped :)

So how do you play the game?

Expect more information soon. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Robinson
United Kingdom
SLOUGH
ENGLAND
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldn't agree more. The amount of information out there atm, is like a teaser trailer to a movie (a concept I've never quite understood). Teasers tend to frustrate not hype.

I'll remain quietly optimistic for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Phelan
United States
Lake Waukomis
Missouri
flag msg tools
How many drafting games can Richard Garfield make? Treasure Hunter, Bunny Kingdom now Carnival of Monsters!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Spynet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Garfield
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I can design them until I go to the game store and find enough to satisfy my urge to draft. I have been designing drafting games for a long time, and I thought once Seven Wonders came out it would get publishers more interested - instead, they mostly felt that it had been done. That wasn't at all the feeling when Dominion came out and everyone wanted a deck building game...

That is changing now, I see more drafting games out there, but relative to many other categories of games I think drafting is underserviced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember when 7 Wonders came out and all of a sudden everybody was saying "drafting 7 Wonders style", "card drafting like in 7 Wonders". That always amazed me, because I always affiliated simultaneous drafting with Magic: The Gathering (by Mr. Garfield, obviously).

I miss a head-to-head 2p combat game which would consist of drafting first and then battling with a drafted deck. Non-collectible, but extendable. No pre-game deck-building. Just a pile of cards, or a set combined of selected expansions and off we go ;].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bartosz: the game you are looking for is Epic Card Game Dark draft. It literally fits everything you wrote.

A stack of cards. Two players draft decks and then play each other. It is not collectable, but there are expansions you can throw in.

It is the only game I have which plays this way and I love it for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
No Richard Kane Ferguson. Forget it then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Jaeger
Germany
Burtenbach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe they saved him for an expansion... ;-)

[Edited for stupid spelling mistakes - sorry]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raviv Nagel
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's some info about the game and what each artist will do in https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/38501/richard-garfields-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Keller
Germany
Dietzenbach
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smilinbrax wrote:
No Richard Kane Ferguson. Forget it then. :)

I really tried to get him, but couldn´t reach him. I would have loved to add him to the list. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Niebling
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I thought folks might like a bit more information on which aspects of the game each artist was going to focus on, so here's the scoop:

Each artist will be assigned one part of the game. This way, every card that makes up that area will have a consistent style. For most of the artists, that means one of the five "lands" that make up the Carnival of Monsters world as well as all of the creatures that call that land their home:

Jesper Myrfors will shed some light on the Darklands.
Ron Spencer will take us to the Dreamlands.
Mark Tedin will blaze a trail into the Enchanted Forest.
Nene Thomas will turn our gaze up towards the Aerie.
Drew Tucker will bring the Depths up to the surface.
The cover art is being created by the talented John Avon.
The hard-working carnival staff will be introduced by Larry Elmore.

I hope you're as excited to see what these great artists come up with as we are!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Stevenson
Australia
Fortitude Valley
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Looks beautiful.

Hopefully not a collectible game of the Magic or Dice Masters type. It's a path I refuse to go down.

Cheers
Loc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morgan
United States
Simi Valley
CA
flag msg tools
frank jaeger wrote:
And not one is noticing? What is going on, geeks? Here is the list of artists:

John Avon
Larry Elmore
Jesper Myrfors
Ron Spencer
Mark Tedin
Nènè Thomas
Drew Tucker
Pete Venters

I thought that alone would trigger increased interest, but maybe we are all just spoiled :D But with some of the best artists in the history of the game, what can go wrong?

- Larry Elmore of Magic but even more importantly TSR and D&D- fame is there (can we have a Dragon, please?)
- Pete Venters with his unmistakable, detailed style which often Looks very pointy and sharp, as if you could cut yourself on his art
- Jesper Myfors who made lots of the original iconic art of the first sets, special mention goes to "Elves Of Deep Shadow", one of my favorite pics of the time
- Mark Tedin whose pics are always too small to enjoy all the Details he puts in

are some of my absolute favorite Magic artists. Great choise. I would have wished for Rob Alexander, too, but hey, here are seven artists more than unusal, so you won't see me complaining. The different styles will add to the flavour the game and compliment the design.

I played the game and look forward to the release. Magic is still one of my all-time favorite games, and while CoM does not resemble Magic, it cannot deny the craft of its maker. Really good game, as far as I can say after one play.

Why would "great artists" pique interest in a game? Art in games is of very low importance. Sadly some games seem to be all about the art but the games are rubbish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard: Actually, many people here enjoy good art in games and it is often something which piques people's interest when little other information is available

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morgan
United States
Simi Valley
CA
flag msg tools
Muemmelmann wrote:
Richard: Actually, many people here enjoy good art in games and it is often something which piques people's interest when little other information is available :)

I know. I don't understand. There are so many games with nice looking art but the games are terrible. Half the time on Kickstarter it seems they worry more about the art than the game. It's bizarre to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People are different nothing wrong with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Jaeger
Germany
Burtenbach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are as many more games out there which are rubbish *and* have terrible art, so good art is at least an advantageous starting point.

I enjoy good art, sometimes even without a game. I know, it is bizarre. Thank you for making the world known how stupid that is in your opinion, Richard.

What is bizarre to me is that on BGG for anything positive somebody says, someone else has to try to sour it somehow, as if somebody's excitement is a personal insult to another person. What would this place be without these comments? Let me see, how can I best put it? Oh, yes, I got it: better. Much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
richiebabes wrote:
frank jaeger wrote:
And not one is noticing? What is going on, geeks? Here is the list of artists:

John Avon
Larry Elmore
Jesper Myrfors
Ron Spencer
Mark Tedin
Nènè Thomas
Drew Tucker
Pete Venters

I thought that alone would trigger increased interest, but maybe we are all just spoiled But with some of the best artists in the history of the game, what can go wrong?

Why would "great artists" pique interest in a game? Art in games is of very low importance. Sadly some games seem to be all about the art but the games are rubbish.

Sure, but this seems like a strange game to level that criticism at. It is not like R.G. has never designed a game before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morgan
United States
Simi Valley
CA
flag msg tools
frank jaeger wrote:
There are as many more games out there which are rubbish *and* have terrible art, so good art is at least an advantageous starting point.

I enjoy good art, sometimes even without a game. I know, it is bizarre. Thank you for making the world known how stupid that is in your opinion, Richard.

What is bizarre to me is that on BGG for anything positive somebody says, someone else has to try to sour it somehow, as if somebody's excitement is a personal insult to another person. What would this place be without these comments? Let me see, how can I best put it? Oh, yes, I got it: better. Much better.

Why do people make mountains out of molehills?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nestor Rodriguez
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do we have time stamp for the Kickstarter campaign already? As they always say in Games of Thrones, "Essen is coming". Happy to get any info in this regards. Bernd I am looking at you whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Keller
Germany
Dietzenbach
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
0ddjob wrote:
Do we have time stamp for the Kickstarter campaign already? As they always say in Games of Thrones, "Essen is coming". Happy to get any info in this regards. Bernd I am looking at you :whistle:

...ich sag mal "vor Essen".

Bernd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omar Kooheji
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

...ich sag mal "vor Essen".

Bernd

I put this into Google translate and it said :

... I say "before food".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.