The Flow of History» Forums » Rules

Subject: Investment bonus too high? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
0LDBOY om
msg tools
mbmb
Hello,

Yesterday we played our first game and we truly loved it.

The only doubt that we have is that in ages III - IV every time someone got a card previously invested, the investment bonus was so huge (counting the development and visible icons) that the supply emptied after the complete action, resulting as a "free" card for the player.

Are we doing everything alright?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It is definitely common in the late game for players to have accumulated enough symbols to get occasional free cards.

If they are consistently getting them free, then it's the other players' fault- they should invest in things that player has a lot of symbols for, or snipe from them because they're under-pricing them (depending on what is happening).

If everybody is getting lots of free cards, you're probably all undervaluing them (price scales up as the game goes on and there's more money in the system. If everyone's still bidding 3's and 4's during the late game, there would be lots of free cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A P
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
mb
dpolan wrote:
Hello,

Yesterday we played our first game and we truly loved it.

The only doubt that we have is that in ages III - IV every time someone got a card previously invested, the investment bonus was so huge (counting the development and visible icons) that the supply emptied after the complete action, resulting as a "free" card for the player.

Are we doing everything alright?

Something seems wrong (I think). You only get the investment if it passes around the table without someone sniping you and you take the card. If you are bidding on a card such a small amount (because the investment makes the purchase a net positive) the other players should be sniping the hell out of you. Sniping is a far better route because you get the card in one action, as opposed to two. This is further beneficial if the pot is dry because the person getting sniped does not get a windfall either (IIRC). It is also not a "free" card in the sense that you paid two actions for it. I would rather snipe two cards for two actions. Only downside is that transfers money to another player.

NB: It has been a while since I played the game, but this is my recollection of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kos blaat
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
How many players was it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
0LDBOY om
msg tools
mbmb
It was a 3 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavi Bové
Spain
Granollers
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same has happened to us in a 3p game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.