Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Big Tom Casual
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are about to dive into Dunwich. We have the whole cycle and the Carcosa box.

There are a lot of older threads about the best investigator combo for newbies but I'm curious what people think NOW after months with the Dunwich characters and a few days with the Carcosa ones. What do you think makes a good duo at this point in the 'meta'?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll give you the easy answer - easy for me, that is: Any combination of different classes is better than doubling up on the same, usually. As long as at least one party member is good at actual investigation, and at least one can occupy and avoid/stop enemies or soak up damage you'll be ready for anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jackson
United States
Mather
California
flag msg tools
OK, one time Randy Beaman had to take baths with his brother. So one time his little brother took a potty in the bathtub .....and now Randy Beaman gets to take showers alone. 'K, bye.
badge
One time, OK, see, one time Randy Beaman's little brother ate Pop Rocks and drank a soda at the same time and his head exploded! 'K, bye.
mbmbmbmbmb
Best...I vote Rex and Duke. Some will argue Duke is best with 3 or 4, but I'm a fan of this duo.

Best for newbs...Roland and Agnes. It's pretty easy to create solid, powerful decks with eachb of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Guigue
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
a Seeker and a Guardian are always a great team, after all the 2 main occupations are to kill monster and find clues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Rex and Zoey.

Rex is insanely efficient at investigating, and his skill cap is relatively low -- his best strategies practically leap out at you.

Zoe has the killing power of Roland, with extra financing, and her improved Willpower and higher sanity make her more durable. She can't pull the clues like he can, but teamed with Rex, she won't care. Like Rex, she's pretty straightforward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Chov
China
BEIJING
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have had a much easier than expected time with Rex and Jenny, going into tonight's Undimensioned and Unseen.

Rex is so good at getting clues, whoever else you choose just needs to be able to punch and help out a bit on some of the other stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rex and Zoey. I am also doing quite well in my Dunwich campaign with Zoey and Pete (no trauma with two scenarios left). Roland and Pete would be another strong combo (both are fighting/clue gathering hybrids).

As for the Carcosa investigators, I have not played yet, but I can see Minh and Mark being very strong support characters. Yorrick is also poised to be a top tier investigator. I am planning on running Yorrick with Minh in my next Dunwich campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Edwards
United Kingdom
Durham
County Durham
flag msg tools
badge
Together down the ages we have fought the long defeat.
mbmbmbmbmb
We played Night of the Zealot with Roland and Wendy, who worked well. Played first half of Dunwich (well, first 5/8) with Wendy and Daisy, which was a fiddlier combo, and just played Undimensioned and Unseen with Daisy and Jenny, which was a good combo in a slightly wonky scenario. Zoey is maybe the gentlest Guardian intro (Roland is fragile and Mark has complex character cards); Rex and Daisy are both strong for Seekers; the Survivors are all kind of dense in terms of decision space so *may* be slightly tougher for beginners; Agnes is the most robust Mystic; Jenny is an excellent and fairly simple all-round Rogue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, just a note, I would avoid Lola and Sefina for now until you are more familiar with the cards. Additionally, Minh appears to be best suited to 3+ players but I haven't given her a go in a 2p yet.

Everyone is saying that Rex is a great seeker, and he definitely is. My concern here would be that if this is your first time, you may want to play someone who does not get 2 clues at a time so that you have a better grasp of how the pacing usually goes.

You'll probably want a guardian, and then someone good at nabbing clues. Daisy or Rex are good options, but some others are't bad choices. Survivors or Jenny aren't bad options if you want to try something besides focusing ONLY on clues (seekers can't do a lot else, but clues are very important).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Wyndam22 wrote:
As for the Carcosa investigators, I have not played yet, but I can see Minh and Mark being very strong support characters. Yorrick is also poised to be a top tier investigator. I am planning on running Yorrick with Minh in my next Dunwich campaign.

Maybe I'm reading too much into OP's mention of the best investigator combos for newbies, but I didn't mention the Carcosa gators because while they're solid and fun, most are a step up in complexity over the Dunwich gators, and not always in obvious ways -- you can make mistakes with them you won't realize you've made until turns and turns later, or maybe not at all. They're more suited to more experienced players, with the possible exception of Akachi.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Frigof
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Easy/Normal difficulty, any pair of investigators will do decently. Just avoid (as said previously) investigators with overlapping deckbuilding requirements.
I'd say AVOID REX too. Rex is broken beyond belief if you build him right but even without a well thought out build the 2clues/action may be misleading for a first playtrough (You may end up thinking clues are not an issue. Well, they are ^^)

Imho Daisy + any fighting oriented investigator is a really good, efficient duo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
frigof wrote:
Just avoid (as said previously) investigators with overlapping deckbuilding requirements.

Of course, if you really want a themed boys in blue adventure I guess playing an all-Guardian group can still be fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We just finished a run of Dunwich with Jim & Jenny, and they worked really well together.

Both characters are quite versatile, so each can take up either role depending on the situation and the card draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.