Popular Tags: [View All]
Seppel (BGG)
Germany
Kirchzarten
B-W
flag msg tools
Meowww
mbmbmbmb
What is a good "Beginner" spirit for a (true) solo game?

I've tried "Shadows Flicker like Flames" a few times - but since its power (at least at the beginning) heavenly depends on Fear & Terror cards, it's for a beginner pretty hard to predict what will happen...

What can you recommend - which Spirits gave you a "beginner friendly" experience?

PS: I hope it's not a FAQ & I couldn't find any similar questions in the forum...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Severinsson
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
...more hops, better die rolls.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say any of the low complexity spirits, except "Shadows flicker like Flames".
I think "Vital Strength of the Earth" is probably the most easiest to learn the game with, since you won't be playing that many cards and not focusing much on combos and triggering innate powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried the Lightning one and got overrun in about 5 or 6 turns!

I really, really find this game tough, even on the simplest setting. I can't comprehend playing more advanced levels!

My other three games have been 2p with Earth and Shadows, and we've won once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Angel Fernandez Gomez
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've played with four different spirits and the most easy to manage I think was 'Vital Strength...'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Zdan
United States
Council Bluffs
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vital Strength of the Earth is probably the most straight-forward to play for a beginner, but his slow start can make the board seem discouraging for new players. River Surges in Sunlight requires maybe a teeny bit more thought, but is a little stronger in the early game, and has faster growth, so it probably feels easier for new players. Both the other Low complexity spirits aren't really more complicated, but they require a different mentality that might come more easily after playing a couple games as the first two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Cherney
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Vital Strength of the Earth is strong because you can utilize his passive to establish defense in areas that may be problematic. I think he can be tough in a solo game for beginners because it is tough to do his damage. The best way is to use his sun card that does a bunch of damage if Dahan are present and combine it with his innate to repeat the card.

My highest recommendation for a first timer would be Lightning's Swift Strike. At first, it's hard to grasp how strong the innate powers are until you are familiar with the cards and how the spirits work. I recommend playing your cards specially to get those elements for your innate so you can destroy more and more cities. His card that damages each invader for 1 is very good for killing explorers immediately after they show up to prevent them from building. Also, just because you can make a power fast doesn't mean you should. Sometimes, you want to use your cards or powers to kill a city after it shows up to get the 1 fear and let the single explorer get killed by the Dahan on the next ravage.

Biggest tip for any spirit, try to eradicate the further inland lands before focusing on the waters. By clearing those lands out, you can prevent them from generating more explorers until you can have all the invaders gathered to the coasts and wipe them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert666 wrote:
I tried the Lightning one and got overrun in about 5 or 6 turns!

I really, really find this game tough, even on the simplest setting. I can't comprehend playing more advanced levels!

My other three games have been 2p with Earth and Shadows, and we've won once.

You will get better, guaranteed. Spirit Island takes a few games for things to click, but the more you play you'll be dominating solo games with regularity on the easiest level.

As others have mentioned, Vital Strength of Earth or Lightning's Swift Strike are the two easiest to start with!

Also, I would recommend switching to the regular mode of card drafting for powers after the first game. The prescribed order of power lists helps remove one decision when learning, but also doesn't offer the flexibility to react to current island/spirit needs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would stay away from starting with Lightning, as it can give a beginner the idea that fast powers are the best way to do everything. Much better to learn how to appreciate powers which you aren't entirely sure how you will use at the time you play them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Volz
msg tools
I'm gonna break ranks and say River Surges in Sunlight.

I find him the most well-rounded of the beginner spirits. He expands quickly with his 2 presence option, he can get new cards quickly, his innate power is useful and easy to trigger, and his reclaim option gives him a lot of flexibility. He also usually has excess energy in a solo-game to play both minor and major powers.

The only hang-up with him is getting used to the idea of "sometimes I don't need it dead, I just need to push it somewhere else so it doesn't build/ravage".

I feel like his ability to gather 3 Dahan, combined with any Defense card, offers superb early game ability to handle large threats, and it will typically have a cost of 0 on one turn and 1-2 the next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Schlepphorst
msg tools
I agree about River, maybe adding that it best trains you to be generally successful at the game, using pushing, Dahan, slow actions, etc. Good for an
Experienced gamer to learn this game's dynamics.

But, if you're newer to games or have a harder time figuring everything out, the other 2 (not shadow) simplify some things. It might not be ideal, but may be right for some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.