Subject: Hero selection at the start of the game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nimrod Breger
Germany
Dusseldorf
flag msg tools
Hey all,

I'm planning to play the game for the first time this week.
I've played the previous version and as I remember, at the beginning you select a faction and you can rotate the 5 heroes you have (3 on the board and 2 in reserve).

Reading the "Second Tide" rules and watching some videos I'm a bit confused on the hero selection. Do you choose a faction and from there select just 3 heroes to play for the rest of the game? (so you cannot rotate the heroes) or does it work just like in the previous version?

As we are planning to play with 6 players, the rules say 2 players control 2 heroes each and 1 player control 1 hero, does that mean that in 6 players game you can only rotate between the heroes you have?

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Whitley
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no hero rotation in Second Tide.

For a 6 player game, you will always play the same characters (or a single character and the crew). You will eventually have all 5 heroes on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnnie C.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Select 3 heroes only and you are not restricted to have every hero be of a different role. For example you can have 3 Swashbucklers or 3 Quartermasters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Akai_JVC wrote:
Select 3 heroes only and you are not restricted to have every hero be of a different role. For example you can have 3 Swashbucklers or 3 Quartermasters.

That's for 2 player. There's different numbers of heroes for each player count. (e.g. 4 players is 4 heroes)

For 6 players, I believe the OP is referring to the fact that you have 5 heroes per side, and they are divided as follows: Player 1 gets 2, Player 2 gets 2, but Player 3 gets 1, etc.

here are the counts and rules from the rulebook:

4 Players (2 vs. 2):
Each player will select 2 Heroes (for a total of four Heroes per team)

5 Players (3 vs. 2):
The Team of two players will select 5 Heroes, with one player controlling three Heroes, and the other controlling two Heroes and the Crew
The Team of three players will select 5 Heroes, with two players controlling two Heroes each, and one player controlling one Hero and the Crew.

6 Players (3 vs. 3):
Each Team will select 5 Heroes, with two players controlling two Heroes each, and one player controlling one Hero and the Crew.

Link to rulebook: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zu8dgdhoetk5gnl/Second%20Tide%20Ru...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnnie C.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr. Suitcase - yup, you are correct

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nimrod Breger
Germany
Dusseldorf
flag msg tools
Hey all,

Thanks for most of the clarification.
Just to make sure I got it right:

2 players game:
each player will select 3 heroes (doesn't matter which) and only get to play them, having a maximum of 3 heroes on the board for each team (total of 6 heroes).

6 players game:
each team have 3 players.
2 players will control 2 heroes and 1 player will control 1 hero and the crew.
Additionally, the 2 players with the 2 heroes will be able (depending on the game situation) to summon their 2 heroes? so potentially you will have 5 heroes on the board for each team (total of 10 heroes)?
Or the 2 players with 2 heroes will need to rotate between them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Whitley
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mogron272 wrote:
6 players game:
each team have 3 players.
2 players will control 2 heroes and 1 player will control 1 hero and the crew.
Additionally, the 2 players with the 2 heroes will be able (depending on the game situation) to summon their 2 heroes? so potentially you will have 5 heroes on the board for each team (total of 10 heroes)?
Or the 2 players with 2 heroes will need to rotate between them?

As the first round goes back and forth, you will end up spawning all 5 heroes so there will be a total of 10 on the board. The only thing "depending on the game situation" is if a character has gone overboard or knocked out. There is no rotation for players, you essentially have 6 activations per turn (unless you summon a sea monster, which gives you an extra activation).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.