Subject: Pathfinder and Apocrypha - how do you find they compare? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
The sense I get from reading the forums here, is that a lot of people’s opinions on this game are coloured very heavily by their Pathfinder ACG Experiences. I wanted to get a sense of how that played out numbers-wise?
So, I was wondering, what are people’s backgrounds in terms of these 2 games?
Which of these best describes your experience of Pathfinder and Apocrypha?
I like PACG, but prefer Apocrypha
I like PACG and like Apocrypha about the same
I like PACG, but don’t like Apocrypha
I like Apocrypha but prefer Pathfinder
I don’t like PACG, but I like Apocrypha
I don’t like PACG and Apocrypha’s no better
I don’t like PACG and Apocrypha’s even worse
I’ve not played PACG, but I like Apocrypha
I’ve not played PACG and I don’t like Apocrypha
Other (please specify)
      43 answers
Poll created by Mightyjim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just in case anyone's wondering, I'm in the UK and haven't received my copy yet, which is why I haven't answered my own survey...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Schoell
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Apocrypha but prefer Pathfinder.

That should have been one of your survey options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doc Mage wrote:

Damnit. Knew I'd end up forgetting at least one possibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mightyjim wrote:
Doc Mage wrote:

Can you change it now? Not many people have voted yet...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oneiric wrote:
Mightyjim wrote:
Doc Mage wrote:

Can you change it now? Not many people have voted yet...

Annoyingly it wouldn't let me edit the poll, but it did let me create a new poll and replace the one in the OP.

I'd hoped that I'd then be able to add back in the votes I'd already received (1 each for "I like PACG, but prefer Apocrypha," "I like PACG and like Apocrypha about the same," "I like PACG, but don’t like Apocrypha," and "I’ve not played PACG, but I like Apocrypha" but it won't let me vote more than once...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is really too early to tell with Apocrypha. Pathfinder is only so-so if you limit yourself to the core box; it shines when you play the whole campaign. Same deal here, I'd imagine. So for now, I chose the second option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cockerham
United Kingdom
Hull
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Voted other as I like PACG but I am still awaiting my copy of Apocraypha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
mcocky wrote:
Voted other as I like PACG but I am still awaiting my copy of Apocraypha.

People who have no opinion on Apocrypha aren't especially relevant to a poll on the Apocrypha forum, even if it's only because you don't have your copy yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really know how, at this point in time, anyone could definitively answer this question.

Sure, they have some similar mechanics, but...

One game has been around and been played for four years now, with four core sets (with four completely different storylines) and 20 add-on adventures and I don't know how many now add-on character decks.

The other has been around a few weeks, and only has the core set available at this time.

Even if you restrict yourself to just mechanics, look how much PACG has changed in four years in fine-tuning things.

People who are answering now could have very different opinions once the other two expansions release or just as they have played the game more.

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Titor
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
DocSavage2001 wrote:
One game has been around and been played for four years now, with four core sets (with four completely different storylines) and 20 add-on adventures and I don't know how many now add-on character decks.

The other has been around a few weeks, and only has the core set available at this time.

Even if you restrict yourself to just mechanics, look how much PACG has changed in four years in fine-tuning things.

Spoken like someone with no confidence in the new product.

It doesn't need to be that difficult. The two games are similar enough that comparisons can, and should, be made. Mike and his team have had all those years you brought up to learn from their last game and implement those lesson in the new game. That counts for something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Selinker
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
John_Titor wrote:
It doesn't need to be that difficult. The two games are similar enough that comparisons can, and should, be made. Mike and his team have had all those years you brought up to learn from their last game and implement those lesson in the new game. That counts for something.

If it helps, we compare the two games all the time. (Though, to be fair, we know what The Flesh and The Devil contain.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John_Titor wrote:

I disagree with this.

Many of the early comparisons are made hastily, with just a couple games of Apocrypha (base game only) being contrasted to dozens or sometimes hundreds of PACG games over multiple sets and expansions. That's hardly a fair comparison - and the only way for things to even out is to wait until people have a chance to explore the game a bit deeper.

Obviously that might not apply to the designers and testers, who have been playing the game for months already... and obviously high-level comparisons can be easily made at any time. But when a game is new there is a ton of knee-jerk reactions both ways (how good/bad it is) and it's only with some time that opinions tend to even out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John_Titor wrote:

I had enough confidence in the new product that I spent my money on it. And I have no doubt I will buy the other expansions when they come out as well. I have plenty of confidence after four years of PACG that Apocrypha will be a good game.

But all the confidence in the world doesn't grant me all-seeing knowledge that I can tell how I'm going to feel about something until I've experienced it enough to offer a valid opinion.

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.