The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – The Road Darkens» Forums » General

Subject: Journey in the *BLEEP*ing Dark rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Power
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just wanted to announce to the world that after many scorched and bloodied attempts at this quest I finally succeeded. It took me just over 2 hours which is by far the longest session of LotR I've had yet. Playing solo 2-handed, my final score was 167 but I care not a jot. I'm just glad it's done!
It was a great quest. When Gandalf sacrificed himself to weaken the Balrog and clear the way for an attack from Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli, who then destroyed the beast, I cheered out loud. Yes really. Once the Big Bad was dead, the last couple of rounds were a bit of an anticlimax but overall I really enjoyed it.
Anyone else got war stories of taking on the Balrog?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Coman
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! That's a very difficult quest. No better feeling in this game then finally defeating a quest after losing to it over and over. Yeah, I never even bother with score - all I care about is winning.

My experience with this quest was similar to yours - lost many times, playing solo 2-handed using modified versions of the suggested decks. I actually gave up at one point, and after picking up the Mirkwood and Dwarrowdelf cycles, played through those instead. Once done with those, I then tried a new 1-handed Hobbit deck, using some of the new cards from the new cycles. I beat it on my first attempt, finishing stage 3 with 1 token left on Doom Doom Doom, avoiding the Balrog, mainly thanks to Faramir.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.