Subject: Let's return the respect to the British Empire ;) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

After having played CCN for years and having met (online or live) so many anglo saxon gentlemen players full of admiration and respect for Napoleon,
I would like today to return their politeness (even if off topic here):

I am a French huge fan of Sir Winston Churchill!

This man his my historical favorite Character by far! I mean all the planet history included!

Not only because he was courageous and clever (so many other leaders did share those two qualities), but he had something more. Something very important. The reason we all love life and even the reason we fight in wars. Something many generals even forget while being completely concentrated in their duty: He had THE SPIRIT!

One of my favorite quote among so many: "Democracy means that if the doorbell rings in the early hours, it is likely to be the milkman!"

I LOOOOVE the man!

With my best regards,
Colonel Gleize A.K.A GG
Des chasseurs à cheval de la garde Impériale

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of his numerous quotes are just hilarious!

--> https://www.brainyquote.com/authors/winston_churchill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He is definitely a favorite Brit for a lot of us on the other side of the "pond," as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal K
Poland
Otwock
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Eastern Europe, in general he is perceived well with two exceptions: Yalta agreements (well, he was too weak for Roosevelt and Stalin, and simply gave away half of the Europe) plus small things like not allowing any Eastern European countries to take part in victory parade in London... At least, base don his diaries, he felt ashamed of this...

In the end, what is the promise, alliance or goodwill in face of global politics...

On teh other hand, he managed to recover after Gallipoli, survived as only opponent of Nazi Germany for many months and was real man of state.

Enough of digression, good choice GG!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While not defending Churchill (or Roosevelt, for that matter) per se at Yalta, it is really hard to see what else he could have done to effect the matter, short of open conflict with the Soviet Union. Even cutting off all aid for the Soviets at that point would have done little to stop them (and, if anything, only encouraged them to try to gain more land in eastern and central Europe). The only long term strategy that would have had a chance at keeping at least some of Europe Free was Churchill's "soft underbelly" concept, but Churchill had lost that fight months or years before, and, as demonstrated in Italy, and to a lesser extent in Greece and the Adriatic, it was probably never going to be a successful strategy for actually defeating the Germans, regardless of how many resources were thrown at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.