12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for games that can be played over time. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chester Drawls
msg tools
Hi!

I am very new to the board game world and given the thousands of choices, I just absolutely don't know where to start. So for starters, I work in an office environment, and it's not uncommon for an empty desk to have a puzzle or game of chess on it, for people to play throughout the day.

I'm on a small team of 4 people, and I am looking for a board or card game like this, that can be played throughout the day, without having to sit down for a specific amount of time to play it. For that reason, I think the game would need to be relatively simple, easy to learn, and can just be something to visit during downtime.

I hope my explanation of what I'm looking for is clear, can't wait to see what you guys and gals can recommend.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

As long as you can keep track of who's turn it is, the following games don't require interaction during a player's turn and should work:

Blokus
Carcassonne
Santorini
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danger Mouse
msg tools
Diplomacy is the obvious choice, except you will end up hating each other and you really need 7. Many people play this game by mail and email.

Game of Thrones 2nd Ed might be possible. However, I think combat requires all players to be at the table.

Polis might be possible.

Hive: for 2 player games. I think this would be really good for what you describe.

Blokus: That works with 4 really well. Go away and pontificate for a while as you play through the day.

Any of the Gipf series. Would be a talking point for any 'outsiders' entering the office.

Ricochet Robots: Don't play the timed version of the game, play instead the person who gets the most optimal route within an hour.

Dungeon Twister Card Game: 2 Player. Lots of time to think through the day. Needs two people at the table for combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall COBB
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fabled Fruit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the GIPF series, Zertz is fun and quick.

Also look at Six.

If your team can handle a little more detail, more rules, as well as a little conflict, find the Pocket Edition of Ogre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 hive
Onitama
Red7
Yinsh
Quarto
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Kennedy
United States
Cleveland
Tn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All of your classic abstract games are good for this type of interaction because they generally aren't about immersion and don't look too obtrusive in an office environment.

Other than Chess and Go, you could consider a few newer abstracts
The Duke
Tak
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Squire
United States
Paradise
California
flag msg tools
IF YOU DON'T SEE THE FNORD IT CAN'T EAT YOU, DON'T SEE THE FNORD, DON'T SEE THE FNORD . . .
badge
‘I could tell you my adventures–beginning from this morning,’ said Alice a little timidly: ‘but it’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.’
mbmbmbmbmb
Takenoko
Tsuro

Also, whichever game you go with it is worth getting a small cheap figurine or other marker that can get moved around the edge of the board to show who's turn it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sophie Mueller
msg tools
Glüx should match: Very simple rules, but interesting to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester Drawls
msg tools
Wow. Thanks everyone! That's a great list!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Ticket to Ride?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Metal Rat wrote:

Too hard to keep track of the cards other people are collecting, I think. +1 for Richochet Robots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.