Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Kwan
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
One of the player signature cards (which a player gets 2 copies of) is Extinguish.

The wording is that on cast it deals 1 damage, if this damage would cause for a minion from the nemesis deck to be placed in the discard, gain a trophy token.

My question is how to define the term "damage would cause". Here are the interpretations I have from a priority of what I feel is most likely to least likely.

1. The 1 damage has to be the "killing blow" damage. Thus you must reduce a minion's health down to 1 and then cast Extinguish.

2. The 1 damage must contribute to a kill on the same turn it is cast. Example: Minion is down to 5 health. Cast Extinguish to reduce minion down to 4 health. Cast a large 6 Aether spell which deals another 6 damage to finish off the minion (note that this scenario is not possible to gain a trophy if interpretation #1 is used instead).

3. The 1 damage must contribute to a kill on any turn. Example: you deal 1 damage to a minion on your turn. You somehow remember or mark or flag that minion as being damaged by Extinguish. On a subsequent turn (yours or a team mates) the minion is finished off via some manner and you gain the trophy token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Number 1 is the correct answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kuehl
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
blackhalo23 wrote:

The wording is that on cast it deals 1 damage, if this damage would cause for a minion from the nemesis deck to be placed in the discard, gain a trophy token.

I think this part of the clause is the key point. I interpret it as only the damage dealt by this particular spell. However, if it gets boosted (by something like a breach or other effect), I would rule the additional damage would grant a trophy counter if it resulted in a kill as well.

Also worth noting that I believe the statement "a minion from the nemesis deck" excludes things like minions summoned by the Horde Crone since they don't come from the Nemesis Deck. So those would not grant trophy tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Extinguish has to deal the killing blow.
The minion has to be a card. It doesn't work with Carapace Queen's husk tokens.
The minion has to come from the Nemesis deck. It doesn't work with the Trogg deck from Horde-Crone (and possibly not for the Hollow Crown's acolytes.)

If you could use it to deal any damage and then kill it it would say "if the minion is placed in the discard this turn, gain a trophy token.
THEN and only then could you use Extinguish to deal damage at any point during the turn and gain 1 token.

You have to reduce the minion to 1, 2 or 3 life through other means and then fire Extinguish off from breach the right breach. Dezmodia's breaches would make this deal 3 damage, breaches III - IV 2. Could make achieving this easier

blackhalo23 wrote:
3. The 1 damage must contribute to a kill on any turn. Example: you deal 1 damage to a minion on your turn. You somehow remember or mark or flag that minion as being damaged by Extinguish. On a subsequent turn (yours or a team mates) the minion is finished off via some manner and you gain the trophy token.

Kevin won't use anything that makes the game fiddly or hard to remember so I don't expect this to ever be a thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kwan
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the replies everyone.

#1 it is then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asked and answered, but I'll answer too :)
#1 is how I played last night. Only way that really made sense.
Followup question (asked in another thread as well, but this one is more relevant):
Are trophies spent when using the charge power?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kwan
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Did not spend trophies when charge power was used. Did not indicate to do so, also seems like it would make the charge power pretty underwhelming if trophies were spent.

Related question: Is the number of trophies limited to 8 (because the game only comes with 8 physical tokens) or could you theoretically get more (in the unlikely scenario you actually defeat that many minions)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dtcarson wrote:
Asked and answered, but I'll answer too
#1 is how I played last night. Only way that really made sense.
Followup question (asked in another thread as well, but this one is more relevant):
Are trophies spent when using the charge power?

If the mat doesn't say you spend trophies then no you don't spend trophies. Thematically it wouldn't really make sense to spend your trophies either. Plus resetting this power would make it very, very weak.

That being said I don't have my copy yet so unless you write the ability here I can't say for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK that's how I played. Can't recall the exact phrasing but the spell was something like 'If this spell causes a minion from Nemesis deck to discard, gain a trophy', and the power says 'Do 2 damage per trophy.'
So it didn't specify discarding, just thought I'd check. She didn't even get many kills but she was doing 8 dmg per hit just on that (and there was something else that gave a charge or two.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As others mentioned, #1 is correct. Trophies are not spent when the ability is used.

While technically 8 is not the limit on trophies, because you can't get them from token minions, there's a ~soft cap of 5 or 6 trophies. I can't recall ever having more than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
tjkuehl wrote:
blackhalo23 wrote:

I think this part of the clause is the key point. I interpret it as only the damage dealt by this particular spell. However, if it gets boosted (by something like a breach or other effect), I would rule the additional damage would grant a trophy counter if it resulted in a kill as well.

If the damage is specified as "additional damage", yes, because it's increasing the damage of that effect. If, hypothetically, a spell existed that said "if an ally deals damage while this spell is prepped, you may return this spell to your hand to deal 2 damage", this would be a separate source of damage and not grant a trophy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Schor
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
If a minion returns from the discard pile of the nemesis deck, can I then get a trophy if I (re)kill it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it returns from the discard pile it is treated as a new minion entirely so if you slay it with extinguish dealing the killing blow you get a trophy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.