J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
As the article points out, it's a bit of an embarrassment for leaders of the Communist Party, coming just a few weeks before a major meeting of the Party.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/21/investing/china-credit-ratin...

I am certainly no economist (C+ in my 2000-level macro-economics course), but the People's Republic's economy seems a bit 1920ish to me. The difference, of course, was that in 1929, stockbrokers jumped out of windows. In China, they'll get tossed off roofs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
As the article points out, it's a bit of an embarrassment for leaders of the Communist Party, coming just a few weeks before a major meeting of the Party.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/21/investing/china-credit-ratin...

I am certainly no economist (C+ in my 2000-level macro-economics course), but the People's Republic's economy seems a bit 1920ish to me. The difference, of course, was that in 1929, stockbrokers jumped out of windows. In China, they'll get tossed off roofs.

China has a general problem with being a pre-war nation with post war tech (see their somewhat bizarre and colonialist irredentism).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So does their bond rating change affect our debt to them in any way? Is it likely to shift currency values so that our debt is effectively less?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
So does their bond rating change affect our debt to them in any way? Is it likely to shift currency values so that our debt is effectively less?
Isn't their currency tied to the dollar and not floating?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyOffice wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
Isn't their currency tied to the dollar and not floating?

Nah, RMB hasn't been tied to the US$ for years. It's set to a basket of currencies and floats in a range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.