Omar Jedi
Canada
flag msg tools
Hey,

I'm totally new to this game, and I was following the example of play on the last pages of the briefing booklet #2. When I got to page 42, particularly point 3.7.1.B, Orchard_Contact, bullet "e", I got confused by the following:

-according to enemy package placement, two teams are placed, one at front max LoS, and another on front-left max LoS (two different cards)
-according to enemy package instructions, both enemy teams open fire upon placement. For context, there are two US teams in range of both new enemy teams, each US team with 3 step points.
-Then the example of play says:
"I now need to place the VoF for these two (enemy) units. Since the two cards in their LOS have have the same number of steps it will be by random draw"

This got me confused, it sounds to me as if enemy packaged on placements need to decide upon which US team to direct their fire.

But this seem to contradict rule:
9.2.4 Enemy Firing (VOF/PDF)
When placed, enemy units will always target the unit that triggered
their placement.

Is the example of play wrong, or am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Jason Raynovich
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jedi2b wrote:
Hey,

I'm totally new to this game, and I was following the example of play on the last pages of the briefing booklet #2. When I got to page 42, particularly point 3.7.1.B, Orchard_Contact, bullet "e", I got confused by the following:

-according to enemy package placement, two teams are placed, one at front max LoS, and another on front-left max LoS (two different cards)
-according to enemy package instructions, both enemy teams open fire upon placement. For context, there are two US teams in range of both new enemy teams, each US team with 3 step points.
-Then the example of play says:
"I now need to place the VoF for these two (enemy) units. Since the two cards in their LOS have have the same number of steps it will be by random draw"

This got me confused, it sounds to me as if enemy packaged on placements need to decide upon which US team to direct their fire.

But this seem to contradict rule:
9.2.4 Enemy Firing (VOF/PDF)
When placed, enemy units will always target the unit that triggered
their placement.

Is the example of play wrong, or am I missing something?

I think you are conflating determining the "new" VoF when a unit that is already placed has to decide which card to fire at, and when an enemy package is placed.

When an enemy package is placed, as you state in 9.2.4, the package fires at the card triggering their appearance. Whereas, when they have to change fire, they determine by 6.1.1.

Hope that helps. Make sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
William is correct here. Thanks, William.

Best,
Ricky
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omar Jedi
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks for the quick response.

I'm probably misunderstanding your answer, sorry if that is the case, but I think in the case of the example of play, it's not discussing change of fire, but instead placing initial VoF tokens after enemy package placement.

Essentially what seems to be happening on the example of play is:
-two new packages are placed on cards, they fire on placement
-new VoF need to be placed on US units
-the booklet does a random pick to chose which US unit is targeted by the VoF token

I would like to post a booklet scan of this section, put I'm afraid I could be violating copyright.

Am I getting the situation wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Post away, Omar. It think that will help see what is the issue.

Best,
Ricky

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omar Jedi
Canada
flag msg tools
Here you go. Pease start reading at the begining of section "Orchard Contact" and use the cards graphic for reference.
All is well until bullet "e". Can you explain why is there a random placement of the VoF for the new enemy units?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Omar. The random choice of VOF placement in that example is wrong. Per 9.2.4, newly placed units target the Friendly unit that triggered them. This will be corrected. Thanks.

Best,
Ricky
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omar Jedi
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks for the quick response!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Certainly. BGG errata post already updated. Working on the CSW one right now.

Best,
Ricky
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.