Time of Legends: Joan of Arc» Forums » General

Subject: Cubes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Sykes
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So watching some videos of this game and I'm definitely interested and keen to see more, but I have to admit, the one thing that really sticks me in the eye are the use of the coloured cubes. The concept seems cool but in this game where everything else looks so beautiful, the cubes just seem like a real eyesore and break the immersion.

I'm thinking little banners would be far more thematic and serve the same purpose. These could be nice little plastic banners or even just cardboard tokens but I really think it would be better than brightly coloured cubes.

Is this just me? Am I being cubist? What do others think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Vichi
Italy
Castelbellino
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
there'll be plastic banners. the cubes are only prototypes

see here; https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1835889/mixed-feelings-afte...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Sykes
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh my word, that's amazing! Thank you for that link (and for not berating me for not seeing that thread )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Thornton
United Kingdom
Wallsend
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
@Derek - the latest info I have is that most of the cubes will be in the core box, but in very different colours (the colours you see in demos were just the most easily available ones, and are too bright for JoA). Two types of cubes will be replaced by "coin" tokens.

There will be an add-on available to deluxify* your set, which will include the plastic flags.

The reason that plastic flags aren't in the core set is two-fold. Firstly, they are more expensive, and reduce the number of minis we can include. That wasn't generally thought to be a good thing. Secondly, some people (myself and the designer included) prefer the cubes. This approach offers both options.

*This is a real word, honest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Sykes
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That all sounds very reasonable! I did figure the plastic would be a cost hit so having that as an optional purchase is a wonderful idea. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Thornton
United Kingdom
Wallsend
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
You're welcome. We do try to be reasonable
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cubes are fine with me and I have a reason for that. I don't want to take away from the figures nor the scenery on the battlefield. Having the plastic banners will probably be nice but to look at the battlefield and see cube colors stand out and I know which unit has done what. I found color cubes or beads quite useful playing Bolt Action, Man O' War, Warhammer Epic 40,000 and similar mini games and I like them for a quick visual aid of what is going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Manteca
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this approach. Would love wooden shields instead of cubes But things are looking very nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.