Stop Thief!» Forums » Variants

Subject: Penalty for guessing wrong arrest location rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Walker
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Having played the Restoration Games version for a while now. Our group has come to the consensus that calling down the law on the wrong arrest location definitely needs a rules tweak. It should be more of a setback than merely losing $1000.

The original game had a Detective Agency square in the middle of one side of the board and you got sent there when you guessed wrong. You also had to spend $$$ to renew your detective's license but that wasn't the part that hurt. Being sent from the vicinity of the thief back to the agency usually took you out of the running, so calling the cops was a serious decision.

So our guessing wrong rule variant is to charge $1000 AND the player to your right has the option of sending you to the Subway of their choice. Making it an optional choice is to head off people from using a wrong guess as a "get from middle of building to a subway" strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You like your games mean!

Most people lose sight of the fact that the biggest detriment to a false arrest is the information it provides to the other players. We concluded the money and move penalty was unnecessarily harsh. It's your game now; play it as you like. And have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Walker
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
What can I say - we are very competitive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hansel
United States
Spencer
IA
flag msg tools
JustinDJacobson wrote:
You like your games mean!

Most people lose sight of the fact that the biggest detriment to a false arrest is the information it provides to the other players. We concluded the money and move penalty was unnecessarily harsh. It's your game now; play it as you like. And have fun.

I agree, since the guess is public knowledge it gives information to everyone else. You are giving away the location by being wrong especially on a 50/50 guess. This gives an opponent a reward and moves you closer to game over and a loss. That seems like enough setback.

My family is loving this game. When home alone I'd love to find a solo variant. Anyone have ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We are working on a solo mode as we speak and should have that out in a month or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.