Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arthur Dougherty
United States
Maplewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoping to get some clarification on event VE-39-2. Playing a VASSAL game and got to this event (German Soviet Friendship Treaty) and I was curious about two things. First, part of the event seems to allow Germany and the USSR to share oil OR Germany sides with Lithuania. If we aren't using the optional oil rules, are there other benefits to the Friendship Treaty, if only to avoid the Soviet entry roll?

As for the Soviet entry roll should Germany side with Lithuania. That part of the event reads:

b) German Alliance with Lithuania. If Lithuania is Neutral, it is now pro-Nazi. Deploy the Lithuanian army and roll for Soviet entry: 1-3+1-3 (8 turns).

We weren't sure what those numbers for Soviet entry meant. Is it adding two d3 rolls together and multiplying by 8 (which doesn't seem right)? We weren't sure what to make of it. Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Klarmann
Germany
Bad Schönborn
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it means first die roll 1-3, then roll a second die and again 1-3 and then you add the delay marker. After that, the Soviets can declare war.

Not a good prospect, so we did not risk it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Dougherty
United States
Maplewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Is it a d6 or d10? But whatever the die is, you have to have two rolls land in the 1-3 range and then an 8 turn delay kicks in? Appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Its a D6
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Dougherty
United States
Maplewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
billyboy wrote:
Its a D6

Thanks, appreciate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clarifying, although it doesn't matter for this particular entry roll:

Entry rolls for (1-X)(1-Y) are not sequential first-second rolls. That is, you don't roll one die, see if it matches the X range, and then proceed to the second die for Y.

Instead, you roll two dice simultaneously and attempt to match the two ranges, treating either die as "first", as appropriate (rule 28.2).

So, for the example in the rulebook of an entry roll (1)(1-4), rolling 1,3 is a success, but so is rolling 4,1.

In particular, note the instances where an entry roll is (1-X)(1-6); that is, the "second" set is automatic. Suppose it's (1-3)(1-6). This is not the same as a single (1-3) roll, which would be 50%; it's a matter of either die being (1-3) for a 75% chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Cooley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Me rocking out with my band, which you can hear at www.raindriver.com
mbmbmbmbmb
We got this event just the other night. My reading of it was that if you aren't playing WC you must take option b (option a is boxed) and take Lithuania as an ally and the Soviets get the roll (which of course the UN player made).

Events are fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Madison
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dcooley wrote:
if you aren't playing WC you must take option b (option a is boxed)

Give that man a beer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Cooley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talossa wrote:
dcooley wrote:
if you aren't playing WC you must take option b (option a is boxed)

Give that man a beer!

Oh, good. I thought after I posted that maybe you could pick a) and then ignore it, as you ignore the boxed events. Maybe this general situation, assuming there are other events constructed this way, could use clarification in the errata?

Doug
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Madison
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dcooley wrote:
Oh, good. I thought after I posted that maybe you could pick a) and then ignore it, as you ignore the boxed events. Maybe this general situation, assuming there are other events constructed this way, could use clarification in the errata?

To me, the rule says that you ignore what's in the boxes, so the boxed option here isn't even an "option". You're left with only one thing to do in a VE game, in this situation.

Of course just because I'm the designer doesn't mean my interpretation is the only one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Cooley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The confusion comes from the boxed text being an option rather than a complete event. I just think a clarification would be useful, coming from some experience as a technical writer. I'm referring more to events in general than this specific event. I have no idea if there are other events that have boxed options while the rest of the event is not.

That said, it does seem odd that Lithuania would directly ally with Germany, and if the Axis draws four events in 1939 then this is very likely in a VE game as the event doesn't give a choice. I'd let the player choose whether or not to pick this option in a VE game as it will happen most of the time (80%). It's a gamble, you get Lithuania but may let the Sovs come after you!

This is a tiny little nit, I have a little tech writing in my resume so am fond of precise language.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcooley wrote:
That said, it does seem odd that Lithuania would directly ally with Germany, and if the Axis draws four events in 1939 then this is very likely in a VE game as the event doesn't give a choice. I'd let the player choose whether or not to pick this option in a VE game as it will happen most of the time (80%). It's a gamble, you get Lithuania but may let the Sovs come after you!
Not even that -- each player always clears all of their events at the end of each year, so the only way Germany can dodge this event in a VE game is if Lithuania is no longer neutral. And if the UN events are historical, the USSR won't proceed to annex the Baltic States until 1940, and I don't think they have a path to prematurely declare war on them in 1939.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Cooley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's right, I keep getting the end of turn do your allotment of events vs end of year do all the events.

In that case, I'm definitely house ruling this specific eventlet to be optional as There is no chance it won't happen in a VE game. I don't mind counterfactual when there's a chance of it happening, not at all enthusiastic when I don't have a choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.