878: Vikings – Invasions of England» Forums » Rules

Subject: Surprise Attack and Feigned Retreat Event Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Winder
United States
California
flag msg tools
When one of these cards are played, does the English side draw a Fyrd card before the extra Battle Dice roll? We played it that the English do get a Fyrd card because of the rules for the Archers event card, which state the Fyrd is included in all English units.

Just making sure we played them correctly.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Winder
United States
California
flag msg tools
What's strange is that the actual wording on the Feigned Retreat card says English Army, not Factions, same as the Archers card. They both look like they are talking about the exact same thing......

But in the card clarifications it says English Factions for Feigned Retreat and says English Units including Fyrd for the Archers card.

That is why we were questioning it....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
CapGunnn wrote:
What's strange is that the actual wording on the Feigned Retreat card says English Army, not Factions, same as the Archers card. They both look like they are talking about the exact same thing......

But in the card clarifications it says English Factions for Feigned Retreat and says English Units including Fyrd for the Archers card.

That is why we were questioning it....

Hmmm, I see what mean.

But correct me if I'm wrong, Archers can only be played during a Housecarl or Thegn players turn (in Battle Phase). How are they drawing a Fyrd card, as Fyrd cards on only drawn when a Viking player attacks a city shire?

This seems like an error in the rulebook to include them in the clarification text for that card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Winder
United States
California
flag msg tools
If you are using the Churches, a church can be turned in to draw a Fyrd card for any battle, not just defending.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
CapGunnn wrote:
If you are using the Churches, a church can be turned in to draw a Fyrd card for any battle, not just defending.

It's not normal for a base game rulebook to consider expansion content in it's rulebook. We should be careful doing the same.

But,

Expansion Rulebook Pg2:

Quote:
1.3 Christian’s Wrath
The English player may discard a Plundered Church Tile at
the beginning of any Battle to draw a Fyrd Card and add
the listed Fyrd to the Battle.

Text on Archer Card:

Quote:
Before this Battle, The English Army resolves one Battle Dice roll. Ignore Flee results.

Going by this the Archer card is resolved before the battle starts, and therefore before any Fyrd units are placed as the Fyrd card is drawn at the beginning of the battle.

I guess that also goes for the Feigned Attack card if we aren't saying that Fyrd isn't an English faction and therefore not part of an English army.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shogren
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

Another good question! I suspect the answer will be to include the Fyrd, but that suspicion is based on a guess. Not including the Fyrd makes the whole affair less "clean" and I think Academy will rule in favor of simple. But that is my guess...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
CapGunnn wrote:
When one of these cards are played, does the English side draw a Fyrd card before the extra Battle Dice roll? We played it that the English do get a Fyrd card because of the rules for the Archers event card, which state the Fyrd is included in all English units.

Thanks!

Yes, the Fyrd are always included. Draw the Fyrd Card and then apply the effects of event cards. Only Viking Terror takes effect before a Fyrd Card is drawn.

Gunter
Academy Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
uweeickert wrote:
CapGunnn wrote:

Thanks!

Yes, the Fyrd are always included. Draw the Fyrd Card and then apply the effects of event cards. Only Viking Terror takes effect before a Fyrd Card is drawn.

Gunter
Academy Games

Kinda surprised by this answer. I'd say rulebook needs some updating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.