United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted these links in RSP, but figured this might get more views. Puerto Rico right now is a wasteland, after suffering the second hurricane in as many weeks, this time a Category 4 monster, Maria (winds of 155 mph, just 2 mph below Category 5).

The island is 100% without power, hospitals are disabled, children and the elderly are helpless, telecommunications have collapsed, and the island's emergency director put it bluntly to say the island had been "destroyed."

We still are awaiting information due to the lack of power (the storm also took out all of the island's radar towers), but needless to say, the people there need help. It bears reminding everyone that these are American citizens, living on American soil. Please consider donating to the following:

Edited to add new entries (see descriptions below):

Unidos por Puerto Rico

Hispanic Federation

One America Appeal

Fondos Unidos de Puerto Rico

​P.O. Box 191914
San Juan, PR 00919
tel: (787) 728-8500
fax: (787) 728-7099

http://www.fondosunidos.org/

Caritas Puerto Rico

​201 Calle San Jorge
Esquina Baldorioty de Castro
San Juan, Puerto Rico 00902
P.O. Box 8812, San Juan, Puerto Rico 00910-0812
tel: 787 300-4953
http://www.caritas.org/where-caritas-work/latin-america/puer...

Fundación Comunitaria de Puerto Rico

1719 Ave. Ponce de León
San Juan, PR 00909-1905
tel: 787-721-1037
https://www.fcpr.org/

Hurricane Maria Children's Relief Fund

Save the Children
501 Kings Highway East, Suite 400,
Fairfield, CT 06825
https://secure.savethechildren.org/site/c.8rKLIXMGIpI4E/b.95...

Maria & Irma: Puerto Rico Real-time Recovery Fund

ConPRmetidos
1511 Ave. Ponce de León Suite K, La Ciudadela
San Juan P.R. 00909
tel: 787-773-1100
https://www.generosity.com/emergencies-fundraising/maria-irm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
I just got done talking to the a janitor here at work. He's a 60+ year old Puerto Rican man who has a lot of family in Puerto Rico that he has zero contact with since the hurricane demolished the island. He has no idea who is alive or dead and who might need emergency assistance. I just saw him break down from the weight of the unknown and helplessness and bawl his eyes out. It broke my heart. I listened to him vocalize his pain and gave him a hug afterwards. He showed me his phone as he tried to call his relatives and all he got was a busy signal. If you could see the hurt in his red eyes. He is not alone. I know other folks who have family down there.

A lot of natural disasters have hit the Americas recently. I encourage all of you who have the means and desire to do so to please give to help these folks in such a great time of need. A site that I like to use for finding organizations to give to is Charity Navigator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for these links. My wife and I LOVE to travel to Puerto Rico and have been watching the news closely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Needless to say, the situation in PR has worsened significantly, as water, food, medicine, and gasoline have begun to disappear across the island. People still do not have power or running water, and road access is cut off for many people on the island. Please still consider helping with a donation.

My previous list of charities should be updated:

United for Puerto Rico
The first lady of Puerto Rico, Beatriz Rosselló, has teamed up with corporate behemoths like Coca Cola, Walmart and Burger King to help provide aid to hurricane victims. You can donate to this campaign here.

Unidos por Puerto Rico

Hispanic Federation
The Hispanic Federation, along with New York City Mayor Bill DeBlasio and U.S. Reps. Nydia Velázquez (D-N.Y.) and Adriano Espaillat (D-N.Y.), set up this fund. One hundred percent of proceeds will go to hurricane relief and recovery efforts. You can donate to them here.

Hispanic Federation

One America Appeal
A fundraising campaign launched by all five of the living former U.S. presidents has added Hurricane Maria, which hit Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands earlier this month, to its appeal for recovery relief. The campaign, titled “One America Appeal,” will allow donors to contribute funds to United for Puerto Rico and The Fund for the Virgin Islands. Both are 501(c)(3) organizations

One America Appeal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.