Subject: Faction cards question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicklas Lundkvist
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi there!

I've bought all the, as of today, existing expansions for IS, and I've come across something that I find odd:

The Roman, Japanese, Barbarians and Egyptians all have a total of 70 faction cards with the expansions included. Yet, the Aztecs and Atlanteans only have 60.

I do know that all the included manuals tell you how to build faction decks, so I guess one should just do that, and then every faction simply has 30 cards...

BUT, let's say that one (me for example) wants to keep this game casual and use all, or as many of the cards as possible:
- which 10 cards do I remove from the four base factions to turn them into matching 60 card decks?
- are the decks balanced in a way that the two extra factions SHOULD indeed have fewer cards, and it is thus unnecessary to remove any from the base factions?

(the expansions are: 3 is a magic number, Why can't we be friends?, Aztecs, Atlanteans)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I have always been bothered in my mind that the factions don't have an even card count and keep hoping some expansion will bring balance to the force.

As far as game balance, it is set by having that 30 card deck and swapping out "sets" to keep to that size. if I were to remove 10 cards, it would probably be from the base game as the added ones in the expansions seem to be there to get the most out of that expansion. As to specific one, I am not sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Johnson
United States
Athens
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd have to go through the cards, but my understanding is that the two Faction expansions (Atlanteans and Aztecs) have those extra cards "built into" their respective base decks. In other words, each of those factions introduce a new mechanic into the game and include 10 cards for each other Faction so those Factions can utilize the new mechanic. For instance, the Atlanteans already use technology, so they don't need 10 extra cards to be able to make use of this mechanic.

I understand that deck building can feel unnecessary for casual play, but I think it makes the game a lot better. You could, however, just shuffle all cards together and randomly draw 30 to create your Faction deck if you want to keep it casual and have consistent deck sizes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicklas Lundkvist
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ah, of course. Weird how the idea never crossed my mind, concerning the last part about drawing 30 random cards from the faction pile to create a deck.

I will consider building proper decks, but it feels like a big investment for a game that I don't play very often, even though I enjoy it when I do.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.