Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wales
Aberystwyth
Ceredigion
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently going through the scenarios for GTC at the moment as I await the new releases. Such a great game and a difficult situation for both commanders.

Having read 'Lincoln's Lieutenants' by Stephen Sears and Joseph Wheelan's 'Bloody Spring' quite recently however, I was struck by how common and quickly breastworks were built by the soldiers. I was lucky enough to visit the Wilderness battlefield a few years ago and remember the guides explaining that it was almost automatic for the soldiers to start digging as soon as they stopped marching.

In 'Strike them a Blow', the CWB series, there's a special breastworks rule for this stage of the war; after two full turns (1 hour gametime) doing nothing or on defensive orders, a unit will automatically gain a breastworks marker. So...

Should breastworks be a little easier to build in GTC? One fatigue to build breastworks maybe? Skip the Abatis stage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Pence
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you factor in a rudimentary time division for Fatigues, dividing a day by four possible activation means about 6 hours. I think the concept here is 'hastily prepared' defense works. Abatis gives a good representation because it requires felling trees and stacking logs/debris/etc. Breastworks and trenching,however, require a significant amount of engineering prep to make them more than just 'linear holes in the ground'.

For the 1864 rules, getting to add a step per activation is quite generous I think. Figure 2-3 activation to get through 12-18 hours of digging to make a cohesive and defensible series of Breastworks.

Or, you can keep them at F0 and it is presumed to jump directly to complete, IIRC. (Unlike the Build-Complete state in 1863 optional rules)

I like that you have the flexibility to create ad hoc defense works via activation, but I think they currently simulate the arduous steps needed to complete them pretty well as is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
I also agree with Patrick - GCACW uses many types of fieldworks and it is pretty easy to build the rudimentary ones, harder to build the better ones. The type that a regiment or brigade would automatically build would be more on the rudimentary side, which is more aptly "Abatis" in GCACW. Breastworks and Forts are meant to represent a series of inter-connected more significant defensive works - realistically not buildable after marching all day. Unless I am misunderstanding something thematically, which is entirely possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wales
Aberystwyth
Ceredigion
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're right, jumping straight to x2 and then x3 with still time to march 10 miles is a bit too much. I do like the option to entrench in the activation phase. Though i do consequently move like a turtle - slow and quick to cover up...

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.