Subject: Modifying rules with rules from Massive darkness rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jaru Rainn
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So Massive Darkness hit the table and I found some rules that I think that could help zombicide be a better game.

1) The transmute ability seems great: Basically, you can discard 3 items to draw a new one. This helps players who have junk items but need better items.

2) The spawn difficulty progressed with the map and not with the player's experience. I thought this was good too because I never liked the balancing act of making sure people didn't get too many kills. So for a given scenario, the spawn level would increase for every objective you got. There's still an emphasis on killing stuff because you want to level up as a character.

What are your thoughts? Are there any new rules in new versions of zombicide that can make the older versions better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pomander wrote:
So Massive Darkness hit the table and I found some rules that I think that could help zombicide be a better game.

1) The transmute ability seems great: Basically, you can discard 3 items to draw a new one. This helps players who have junk items but need better items.

I like this idea, how exactly is it implemented in MD? Do you have to spend an action to do it? Can it be done anywhere?

pomander wrote:
2) The spawn difficulty progressed with the map and not with the player's experience. I thought this was good too because I never liked the balancing act of making sure people didn't get too many kills. So for a given scenario, the spawn level would increase for every objective you got. There's still an emphasis on killing stuff because you want to level up as a character.

I really like this idea, but I don't particularly like it being tied to objectives as these can vary greatly between maps. I'd almost rather it be tied in to how many doors have been opened or something - this would also remove that mechanic of it being optimal to just run around at blue and open all the doors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaru Rainn
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I forget exactly how it's implemented, but its basically you discard three items of the same level and you can get one item of a level higher. I don't think it needs an action. Probably best to have it be a free action.

A number of doors is tricky since different scenarios can also have a wide range of doors. Objectives seem simpler since they tend to be less of them.

You can also have a round tracker as well, but that may be tricky to balance as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignazio Corrao
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pomander wrote:
The transmute ability seems great: Basically, you can discard 3 items to draw a new one. This helps players who have junk items but need better items.

There's already a "Transmutation" skill in Green Horde.

pomander wrote:
The spawn difficulty progressed with the map and not with the player's experience. I thought this was good too because I never liked the balancing act of making sure people didn't get too many kills.

Black Plague quests are generally not as linear as Massive Darkness, so the Area progression would not work. Black Plague is balanced entirely on Zombie kills (with the exception of objectives exp.), so it would not be easy to alter the level progression rules without affecting the Quests' balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jjdelanoche wrote:
pomander wrote:

I like this idea, how exactly is it implemented in MD? Do you have to spend an action to do it? Can it be done anywhere?

Doesn't cost an action, can be done anytime, anywhere, and it gives you a free re-organise action (whereas reorganising normally costs an action).

Transmutation is a cool idea, but the implementation in MD is really wonky. If it's going to be grafted on to ZBP (rather than just waiting for the characters in ZGH who have it as a skill), then I think it needs to cost an action to prevent abuse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Thompson
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mb
There is also a Transmutation spell already present in BP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mightyjim wrote:
Transmutation is a cool idea, but the implementation in MD is really wonky. If it's going to be grafted on to ZBP (rather than just waiting for the characters in ZGH who have it as a skill), then I think it needs to cost an action to prevent abuse.

This. The Massive Darkness forums are full of suggested house rules to nerf the transmutation rules in that game, including things like making it cost an action, not being allowed while in a zone with an enemy, bump the number of items required to 5 instead of 3, etc etc. If you're going to implement that type of 'transmutation' rules in ZBP, you'll probably want to also take into account some of these ideas, it may take a little playing testing to get it balanced right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krusty Wightbred
msg tools
We use a limited version of this. Players can trade two items and an NPC for the alternative item in their armor slot at a cost of three actions. Works great for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.