Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert P
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched the Shut Up and Sit Down mini documentary of Twilight Imperium Fourth Edition and really loved it! In the video they showed footage of Fantasy Flight employees initially discussing a proposed retail price point of $250

As development progressed, it became apparent that they were not satisfied with what the consumer would receive for the $250 they would be paying. Through some manipulation of game components and certain compromises being made, they were able to get the game down to a MSRP of $150

Coolstuffinc is currently pre-selling the game for $130

How low do you think the price of this game will eventually be?

TI3 is selling at about $75 on Coolstuffinc

Does anyone think we could see TI4 drop below $100 between now and Christmas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG is owned by Asmodee the price can never be lower than 20% off msrp of 150$ legally. Before the buyout you could get FFG products at 40-60% off on sales and 33% off all the time. Now if a company wants to continue to sell FFG stuff online, 20% is what I've read is lowest they can sell for.

edit:
I should have used contractually instead of legally, though contracts are based on civil law, and therefore legal? Yes this is the MAP I forgot they can sell for less, but if they advertise it they get cut off from being able to sell FFG product in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crikrunner wrote:
FFG is owned by Asmodee the price can never be lower than 20% off msrp of 150$ legally.

Just curious, do you have a source for this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hector131 wrote:
Crikrunner wrote:
FFG is owned by Asmodee the price can never be lower than 20% off msrp of 150$ legally.

Just curious, do you have a source for this?

Google - it's all over the place.

And it's not that they can't sell it at that price - it's that they can't advertise it at a lower price, I believe. MAP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Admodee now has a minimum advertised price policy, but that's not a legal issue. Stores that were to break the policy could find themselves out of favor, but it's not a matter of law (MAPs can run afoul of the law themselves in the right circumstances).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crikrunner wrote:

What law would that be? Sounds very strange. In the EU it would be unlawful to force a reseller to any specific price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See above; it's a matter of policy between ANA and stores, but there's no legal enforcement of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattias wrote:
Crikrunner wrote:

What law would that be? Sounds very strange. In the EU it would be unlawful to force a reseller to any specific price.

I think "legally" is the wrong term, as others have mentioned. I think what would happen, though, if an online shop started advertising their price for less than the Asmodee "minimum", they may find themselves unable to get stock for Asmodee products in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And note also that it isn't a hard floor. You can't advertise TI4 for less than $120 or so, but you can sell it for less than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not expect a price drop Ti3 cost what it did when released, this is just a more expensive game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Buchanan
United States
Denton
TX
flag msg tools
badge
I can die fighting. I imagine it's easier the second time around.
mbmbmbmbmb
TI3 was roughly $80 when in stock at a lot of OLGS. This game has more in it and has a higher SRP than TI3.

I wouldn't anticipate the price dropping much more than the $120 MM is selling it for. If a year from now, they find themselves with a massive number of copies, you would expect them to lower the price drastically.

As long as it's selling, I wouldn't expect it to drop any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
Also, the feeling I got from the video was that TI4 was going to come in a humongous box. That would mean more stuff right?

I think originally ti4 was going to be sold as an 'all in' game. Meaning, all expansion content was going to be included and the game sold for $250. However, as stated in the video the price point was too high, so they cut back on some component upgrades and, in my opinion, moved some of the expansion material out and will be sold seperately.

I think in the end ti4 will cost $250 when it is all said in done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowecore wrote:
Also, the feeling I got from the video was that TI4 was going to come in a humongous box. That would mean more stuff right?

I think originally ti4 was going to be sold as an 'all in' game. Meaning, all expansion content was going to be included and the game sold for $250. However, as stated in the video the price point was too high, so they cut back on some component upgrades and, in my opinion, moved some of the expansion material out and will be sold seperately.

I think in the end ti4 will cost $250 when it is all said in done.

I got the impression that they were originally looking at bling being the thing that might have led to a $250 price point, not necessarily inclusion of all expansion content. Specifically, they were talking extensively about making unique sculpts for each faction (17 factions) but, at one point with this plan, it seemed like they would only be getting 6 factions into the base game. I'm very glad they went the route of including 17 factions instead! I can't imagine wanting to buy a new version with just 6 factions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TI3 is a 12 year old game, so of course the price on it has dropped over time. I would not expect the price of TI4 to drop much at all for the next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
TI3 was originally $80 MSRP in 2005 and upped to $90 MSRP in 2011 or so. That is why the purchase price has fluctuated anywhere from $50-$90 over the years. It was always substantially cheaper.

TI4 is a $150 MSRP game. It won't be lower than 20% off for a while most likely. Even 50% off would be $75. I don't think it will get there for a while. It might get to 30-40% off on some big sales during 2018 which would still be $90-$105.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TI3's MSRP is $90, so CSI offering it for $75 isn't a huge discount. In the documentary, they talk about how the $90 price tag would have been impossible to make if they released TI3 today, due to the rising cost of components and printing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crikrunner wrote:
FFG is owned by Asmodee the price can never be lower than 20% off msrp of 150$ legally. Before the buyout you could get FFG products at 40-60% off on sales and 33% off all the time. Now if a company wants to continue to sell FFG stuff online, 20% is what I've read is lowest they can sell for.

It's not the lowest that they can be sold for. 20% is the lowest they can be advertised at (thus, the 'a' in MAP). Nothing I've seen says that it can't be sold for lower than 20%, simply that it can't be advertised as such.

What you'll generally see is that if the price on a site goes below 20%, they'll stop displaying the price and instead it will probably see "Add to Cart to see price". One you add the product to your cart, that implies purchase intent and is no longer considered advertising which is why they can show you the price at that point.

TI4 is going to be sold for more than TI3 base version, because TI4 has more stuff in it, since it includes things from the TI3 expansions. I think it's unlikely you'll see it drop below $100 this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Riggan
United States
OKLAHOMA CITY
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I don't think TI4's going to drop in price for a good long while. $120-$130 is about what I expect to see right now. The current prices online and in-store for TI3 are dropping significantly because the new edition is coming out - it just lowers the demand for the game, so the price drops to compensate. My FLGS currently has a copy or two of TI3 for about $50-$60 due to this phenomenon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't expect you see TI4 under 99$ ever, unless we are talking bankruptcy clearance or similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Saco
Argentina
flag msg tools
150$ is to expensive IMO, I'll probably end up buying it anyway :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.