Subject: Circle of Eternity rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Duo Maxwell
United States
Antioch
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Is there a trick to make this scenario be closer to the 60-90 mins the app says it takes? Ive only played MoM once and we had 5 players, all new and it took us 3-4 hours to finish (and even then ppl left before we finished. I just soloed the rest on my own afterwards.. which we were already pretty close to the end at that point as the attic had been opened). I wanna play this at my game group tonight which is about a 4 hour event and Id rather not take the entire event to finish/play a scenario thats said to be only 60-90 mins. Is there any way to speed things up? Maybe a simplified rule explanation (as I noticed when played before it was pretty basic and I didnt even have to use half the rules/features I learned during that scenario, for example there was no real reason to push/use baricades, set fire etc etc so should I really bother covering those)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
t vl
msg tools
There are no tricks really, it just goes faster after a few plays once you get the hang of it and stop looking up every single detail in the rulebook.

So unfortunately for you in this case, the better you know the rules (it's sufficient for 1 player to know them), the more streamlined playing becomes.

Cycle of Eternity took us 3,5 hours the first time we played, but when we replayed it (our 5th play approximately) we did it in 2. That's a 2-player game mind you, 4 or 5p will take a bit longer.

It also helps a lot if 1 single person mans the app and reads (or summarizes) the flavor text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
Antioch
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Well when we played (5 players) one person handled the app and there was no using the instruction manual at all as it was an easy explanation and very basic knowledge needed for that scenario. Despite that it still took us forever lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Blumhardt
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
duomaxwell007 wrote:
Is there a trick to make this scenario be closer to the 60-90 mins the app says it takes? Ive only played MoM once and we had 5 players, all new and it took us 3-4 hours to finish (and even then ppl left before we finished. I just soloed the rest on my own afterwards.. which we were already pretty close to the end at that point as the attic had been opened). I wanna play this at my game group tonight which is about a 4 hour event and Id rather not take the entire event to finish/play a scenario thats said to be only 60-90 mins. Is there any way to speed things up? Maybe a simplified rule explanation (as I noticed when played before it was pretty basic and I didnt even have to use half the rules/features I learned during that scenario, for example there was no real reason to push/use baricades, set fire etc etc so should I really bother covering those)

I think the time estimate for CoE is just plain wrong. We've played every scenario with at least 4 or 5 players and have always finished in close to the estimated time... except for CoE. That one always goes long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stop searching everything. Not only will it speed up the game, it will make the scenario a little easier as you'll get to the end goal faster and so won't be so tough, stopping the ceremony.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mb
duomaxwell007 wrote:
Is there a trick to make this scenario be closer to the 60-90 mins the app says it takes?

Don't play with more than three players and do one horror check for everybody. Playing quickly I've gotten it down to a little over 2 hours that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
Antioch
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Bucho22 wrote:
duomaxwell007 wrote:
Is there a trick to make this scenario be closer to the 60-90 mins the app says it takes?

Don't play with three players and do one horror check for everybody. Playing quickly I've gotten it down to a little over 2 hours that way.

Dont play with 3? I thought you less players = faster? i,e waiting on 3 players to do their turns is faster than waiting on 5 right? And I thought you ALWAYS did one horror check for everyone anyway?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
Antioch
Tennessee
flag msg tools
shnar wrote:
Stop searching everything. Not only will it speed up the game, it will make the scenario a little easier as you'll get to the end goal faster and so won't be so tough, stopping the ceremony.

-shnar

Well lets be fair.. if its your first time doing the scenario then why wouldnt you search everything? I mean its not like you know what youre doing at that point, and if you HAVE played before then yes you know what to do so you COULD speed through it. But why ruin it for the new players in the group by doing that? Id say just play dumb and stick to combat if youre experienced and let the newbies do the investigating/figuring stuff out on their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
duomaxwell007 wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

Well lets be fair.. if its your first time doing the scenario then why wouldnt you search everything? I mean its not like you know what youre doing at that point, and if you HAVE played before then yes you know what to do so you COULD speed through it. But why ruin it for the new players in the group by doing that? Id say just play dumb and stick to combat if youre experienced and let the newbies do the investigating/figuring stuff out on their own.

Well, he asked how to speed things up. Not searching everything is one way

Also, I do wish the game made it a little more clear that if you DO search everything, the game will be longer and more difficult...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mb
duomaxwell007 wrote:

Dont play with 3? I thought you less players = faster? i,e waiting on 3 players to do their turns is faster than waiting on 5 right?

The "more than" somehow didn't make it. Should have read don't play with more than 3 players.

duomaxwell007 wrote:

And I thought you ALWAYS did one horror check for everyone anyway?

Not in the sense of somebody having to make two horror checks or something weird like that. One horror check for everybody period. Pull up the strong monster somebodies close to. Read the one thing of text the one time, everybody who needs to make a horror check rolls on THAT horror check and your done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arah
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the main player who knows the rules, you should:
-Decide who gets which horror checks. Remember that if many players need to resolve horror against the same monster, everyone resolves the exact same single horror check.
-Distribute common items and unique items, while other players read.
-Place tiles on the board, while other players read.
-Place explore, observe, ? and ! tokens, while other players read.
-Move monsters. Skip reading the move text.
-Skip reading the attack text, for both monsters and players. Just say out loud the skill required and the number to pass.
-Strategy: With your character rush through the objectives. You can broadly suggest that the group do something like we should head north, help me fight the monsters, etc.

Other players should:
-Distribute status, spells.
-Distribute damage or horror cards. You tell them if face up or face down.
-Read the app text.

Once players get more comfortable you can assign some of your roles to other players. So, the most important things are: Skip reading most of the fluff and just call the test and distribute stuff. While players read explorations, you distribute tiles, tokens and cards. Exploration is fine to read since you will take a while to find the tile and tokens and cards. Rush and suggest some direction for the other players, who won't know exactly what to do.

Edit: Also you should teach as you go to everyone that is new how to play. Just let them pick whichever investigator they like the most, then you say they can move and interact with tokens and cards and start playing. Once another mechanic is required, you tell them. A monster appears, you tell them they can attack for an action. A test is required, you tell them to check the matching symbol. Sometimes fire won't appear so it would have been a waste of time to teach fire extinguishing. You should also cut the insanity cards if your goal is to get stuff done fast. Just assign them face down and treat them like a condition that reminds them they have one sanity bar left. After the first play, use the 1+ insanity cards only, and finally put the 2+ and 3+ and explain the traitor actions like steal, fire extinguishing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, devil's advocate me would say that though the above suggestions would work, several of them also involve sacrificing the flavor of the game in trade for speeding it up. If you think that is a good trade, go for it, but I feel that the "fluff" is what makes MoM interesting to me; without it I don't think I would get nearly as much enjoyment out of the game. I would have to imagine much of the player base would feel similarly as the central hook of this game is strong thematic immersion without the need for a traditional game master.

In essence though, the game length listings in the app are an approximation. You can always speed a game like this up by cutting to the chase and ignoring the non game text and rushing it, but that seems to run counter to the entire purpose of playing a game like this to me. YMMV. Parceling out tasks to each of the players is sensible though, and is definitely worthwhile.

I would also be cautious about using the "you'll learn as you go" method with some players. Many people don't mind playing a game this way, but some of us really, really, really dislike it for anything other than extremely corner rules. MoM is slightly more suited to this than some other games because of its co-op nature, but I think you still have to cover all of the basics: actions, movement, skill checks, how insanity works, some very basic strategy / goal concepts, &c. to be fulfilling your duty as a game 'splainer. I personally would not be willing to play a game if the host wasn't willing to actually teach it properly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arah
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that maintaining the thematic atmosphere is important to not detract from the game's strengths. However, at 5 time is tight and players leaving means they don't get as much from it as it would seem.

I think that most of my recommendations don't remove the theme, though. Handing out tokens and cards while another reads the text isn't bad, and reading "The monster moves two spaces towards the nearest investigator in range" actually detracts from the theme.

Ultimately it is up to each to evaluate and decide how to play their games, if you think handing out stuff while another one reads interrupts too much, then don't, they are just suggestions to accelerate an already slow game at that count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.