Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B. Perry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone use (or has anyone thought of) rule variants to make the game more strategy-based? Right now, the game seems heavily based upon the cards you're dealt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Goodenough
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Goody
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Rules to make the game less luck-based?
Kayvon (#29723),
If you wanted to make the game more like a CCG you could let each player make customized decks, so every player would have their own Action Card deck and Shipyard deck.

Each card would have a point value and you can only have up to 100 points in your decks. Once your draw stack runs out, you reshuffle your discard pile and remove 10 cards from the game. This prevents everyone loading up on just the most powerful cards like Dreadnoughts and Mag-Blasts. If you only specialize in powerful cards you're going to run out of your draw stacks quickly.

You can have any number of action cards or ships in your deck as long as the total doesn't exceed 100 points. So you could have 60 points of action cards and 40 points of ships or vice versa.

The amount of points each card is worth depends how powerful or flexible it is. So a Mag-Blast would cost you 4 points but a puny Laser only costs 1. A small scout ship would cost 2 points but the ultra tough Dreadnoughts would be an expensive 8 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Goodenough
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Goody
mbmbmbmbmb
Kayvon (#29723),
A simple rule would be to let players create their starting fleet by picking 20 hull points worth of ships. The Flagship's race that starts with the closest letter to "A" on the alphabet takes the first turn (instead of the lowest total hull points). This prevents people with a bad starting fleet (like 3 Scouts) from getting hosed early in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Kitterman
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kayvon (#29723),

I like some of the ideas in this game but yes, it is too luck based.

Ideas:

weaken some of the overpowered card.

strengthen some of the weak cards

Increase the strategic / tactical aspect of the games

Add elements of decision to the game.

example- create multiple draw piles with different types of card. You then have to choose which pile to choose from.

I'll play some more and post further ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing that would help a little is to play one or two turns before you actually engage (that is, you can reinforce, but can't attack). That way you have a couple of turns to deploy reinforcements, react to the opponent's ships, etc.

Another thing I would do is to make the starting ships more equal. I've played with a house rule that anyone with number of hits totalling 20 or less can request a new hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As most replies demonstrate, the main concern seems to be the ships. But the variants here have only addressed the starting fleet balance. During the game, spending three resources to get a mere scout, while another person plays a reinforcements card to draw a dreadnought, for example, can be very unbalancing. So, I came up with the variant below. I haven't tried it yet, but I believe it will work.

Separate ships in three different stacks, as follows:
1 - Scouts and minesweepers
2 - Cruisers, destroyers, carriers and gunships
3 - Dreadnoughts

Of course, there should be separate discard stacks, as well.

At start, players draw one ship from stack 1 and three from stack 2. If you want to allow dreadnoughts in starting fleets, a player may draw two ships from stack 1, one from stack 2 and one from stack 3. In either case, if a player gets two ships with mag-blast weapons, one must be discarded and replaced by another ship from stack 2. If a player gets two carriers, one must be replaced in the same way.

During the game, you have to pay any 1 extra resource to draw a dreadnought. Reinforcement cards can only bring dreadnoughts if the player adds any 2 resources. Scouts and minesweepers cost only 2 resources. The cost for other ships remains unaltered. Also, a player can never have more than one dreadnought in his fleet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.