Subject: Who else is as excited as I am for Stuffed Fables?! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jordan Tomberlin
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's been quite some time since I've been so excited about an upcoming game, that I literally hang on every shred of information pertaining to it. Plaid Hat Games's new "AdventureBook" style game: Stuffed Fables, designed by the great Jerry Hawthorne, is pushing me to my limits of anticipatory delight!

After watching a preview of the game at GenCon 50, and delving into some of the lucky owners of the games' comments and first impressions, I knew I was sold. The hybrid All-in-One book that encompasses the rules reference, the joy of a "choose your own adventure" storyline, AND in-book map scenarios (reminiscent of a Ryan Laukat game), NOT TO MENTION adorable miniatures... man, I'm smiling just writing about it!

This is definitely a game to watch... I'll be counting down the seconds until I can get my hands on a copy.

If anyone has had any hands-on or eyes-on experiences with this game, please tell me your thoughts! I'd love to get the word out so everyone can be as pumped as I am!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Stokes
United States
North Augusta
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Duck Season!
badge
I also believe that you met the King of the Forest, Mei, and meeting him is a sign of good luck.
mbmbmbmbmb
Never even heard of it before now. I do enjoy some Mice and Mystics and the work that Jerry does. I'll be watching this too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
The theme is a little weird. It's a more childish theme like mice and mystics, yet you look at the minis and they're actually a little scary looking, but then some of the art is a little more childish again, so it's somewhat inconsistent in that regard. I'd rather they go all in on either direction and commit to children or adults. Now, what is exciting is the scenario book with the maps INSIDE THE BOOK! It's genius, and I'm amazed it's not already standard. I'm hoping that catches on for future dungeon crawls. Goodbye tiles, hello scenario books. Zero set up, jump right in, and expansions could be as simple as buying a book, no need for a box even.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just hoping the rules are a bit tighter then in M&M. That was a legitimate complaint for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm cautiously optimistic, as I loved the idea of M&M but the gameplay dragged it down. I read the rules and it seems to cut down on the endless dice rolling that killed its predecessor for me. Also, the story in M&M was just what you read in between scenarios, whereas The story book map looks great and the story seems more integrated into the gameplay here.

Keeping my eye on it and fingers crossed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, but Stuffed Fables sounds like yet another new pizza variant from one of the major chains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Tom Casual
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I LOVE some of the concepts here but the presentation is a bit too dark for my family. We adored the colorful warm hearted nature of mice and mystics but this just has a different feel that isn't working as well for us.

I hope it starts a whole series of storybook games with dif themes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McLaughlin
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
Tasty Bacon! Crispy Bacon! I'd get it myself but I don't have THUMBS
badge
WHERE IS IT!? Where's the BACON??
mbmbmbmbmb
Iridium192 wrote:
The theme is a little weird. It's a more childish theme like mice and mystics, yet you look at the minis and they're actually a little scary looking, but then some of the art is a little more childish again, so it's somewhat inconsistent in that regard.

It makes a little sense I think. The toys are defending the little girl from nightmares/monsters under the bed/etc. as a theme so it encompasses the childish imagination. That has two sides - as a child can imagine a cute bear having a life of its own, but that child's imagination can also see terrifying monsters in cracks and shadows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Tom Casual
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So is the whole theme derived from that Teddy Bear poster?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Tomberlin
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Iridium192 wrote:
The theme is a little weird. It's a more childish theme like mice and mystics, yet you look at the minis and they're actually a little scary looking, but then some of the art is a little more childish again, so it's somewhat inconsistent in that regard. I'd rather they go all in on either direction and commit to children or adults. Now, what is exciting is the scenario book with the maps INSIDE THE BOOK! It's genius, and I'm amazed it's not already standard. I'm hoping that catches on for future dungeon crawls. Goodbye tiles, hello scenario books. Zero set up, jump right in, and expansions could be as simple as buying a book, no need for a box even.

I understand your comment about the theme, however, I'm a life long fan of child-like things for adults. What I mean by this is, things in life that remind us of childhood and how it was to be so enthralled by our own imaginations (The Little Prince is still my favorite book).

Also I COMPLETELY agree about the Adventure Book! It's a fantastic concept in my opinion. I truly hope this game does well, so that they may maintain this idea and continue to build upon it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
Favor Euros + Ameritrash, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly Wander: The Cult of Barnacle Bay is my pick in this area. I saw Stuffed Fables and it looked kinda cute, but waaaaaaaaaaaaay too childish for me. Wander hits a nice blend between family friendly and not ... seeming babyish. Besides that I prefer Wander's miniatures and nautical stuff is a big hit to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.