United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Handy links:

Player pack (includes Player's Guide, a logsheet, a character sheet, and some doodads for the current AL season)
DM pack (includes DM guide for AL, FAQ, and other stuff for the current season of AL)

So, you're interested in playing or DMing an Adventurers League game! Hooray! We're glad you're here and we welcome you to the community.

In order to keep things balanced across the board, WotC and the Adventurers League admin team have established some restrictions and rules for both players and DMs. The official AL FAQ (included in the DM pack), AL Player's Guide, and AL Dungeon Master's Guide are vital resources in this regard, but it's still worth having a brief intro into some of the important guidelines for players and DMs.

Players
1 All player characters must begin at level 1 and advance through experience gained during adventures. You can either create a character from scratch (using the Point Buy or Standard Array) or use one of many pre-generated characters floating around.

2 All of the races and classes presented in the Player’s Handbook plus one other resource from those listed below are available to build your character (this is usually referred to as "PHB+1"). Books such as the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide and Volo's Guide to Monsters are permitted. Unearthed Arcana articles and the Dungeon's Master Guide are NOT permitted.

3 AL is supposed to be safe and fun for everyone. As a result, don't be a jerk. Conflict happens between characters in game, but remember: you're on the same side.

4 Characters cannot be Neutral Evil or Chaotic Evil in alignment. If your character is Lawful Evil, they MUST belong to either the Lords' Alliance or Zhentarim factions.

5 Keep track of each adventure your character plays! It doesn't matter where or how, but at least keep track of the names of the adventures, whether you gained a level or not, items traded, and story notes. There's a nice template you can use on the Geek here (link). You can also use a site like this one, which I personally use and highly recommend.

6 An individual character can only play through an adventure one time. Which makes sense, since they're probably not time travelers.

A Please look at the downtime activities in the Player's Guide. Please! There are some useful things you can do with your downtime days, including automatically "catching up" to the next tier. So yes, if you're level 4, 10, or 16 you can spend downtime days (and cost of living expenses) to automatically bump your character up to the next tier.

Dungeon Masters
1 To stick with the organized play aspect, only certain adventures are permitted in AL. The full list is available on the Content Catalog (link in the guild's home page). There are plenty of caveats, especially in regards to the big hardcover adventures released by WotC, so make sure to do some research before you begin.

2 With Season 9, rules have been simplified--this effects all adventures, even ones with outdates Season 8 or Season 7 (and prior) rules. XP and ACP are ignored. Treasure Points are ignored. Renown Points are ignored. Players who finish a module may level up--this is their choice. Characters are allowed to find gold in adventures, but there is a cap for how much they can find. You can find this information in the AL Player and DM guides.

3 As a DM, you are empowered to make changes to the adventures, as long as it stays within the spirit of the adventure. You can adjust encounters as you see fit, including adding or subtract enemies. House Rules and Variant rules from the DMG are prohibited (yes, including Flanking). The only exceptions that are permitted are: Playing on a Grid and Skills with Different Abilities (both in the DMG).

4 Magic items. AL is somewhat low powered in regards to magic items, on purpose.
-If you find a magic item during the course of the adventure, one character may use it (as applicable...keep in mind attunement time).
-Once an adventure or session is complete, everyone who wants the item may take it. There is no roll-off or anything.
-Characters may only have a certain number of magic items based on tier of play: tier 1 = 1 magic item; tier 2 = 3 magic items; tier 3 = 6 magic items; tier 4 = a lot.
-There are certain magic items that are forbidden from play. These are listed in the AL Content Catalog.

I'll add things to this list as necessary.

If you're playing an AL game and forget some of the big rules, no worries. Just try to fix it next time.

Any questions or additions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George P.E., PMP, DM
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason, thank you for that. Can you add links to the DDAL pages in the OP for a one-stop reference?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Panella
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Yeah! I meant to do it earlier, but forgot. Thanks for the reminder!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Woodman
Canada
Coaldale
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Boo!
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonpanella wrote:

5 Keep track of each adventure your character plays! It doesn't matter where or how, but at least keep track of the names of the adventures, XP/gold/downtime/renown earned, items traded, and story notes.

Oops... I have some paperwork to do now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Panella
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Jethreal wrote:

Oops... I have some paperwork to do now.

I think you're OK. I'm going to start putting the adventure recaps (with XP totals, etc.) in the Geeklists for easy reference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Payne
United Kingdom
Wellingborough
Northamptonshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I am playing a goblin wizard in a new game. Which means my + 1 book is Volo's. I believe that means I can't start with spells from EE, right? But, can I get them by copying from another player, or from a scroll/spell book, or is it a permanent limit on the char so it is simplified when transferring between adventures?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Panella
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
SolidsState wrote:
So, I am playing a goblin wizard in a new game. Which means my + 1 book is Volo's. I believe that means I can't start with spells from EE, right? But, can I get them by copying from another player, or from a scroll/spell book, or is it a permanent limit on the char so it is simplified when transferring between adventures?

Yeah, you can't start with spells from EE, but you can definitely copy them from another wizard's spellbook or get them from adventures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Maynard
United States
Clawson
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason, you've got the DM pack linked twice in the top post instead of the player's pack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Panella
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know that there is much to update here, but it would be good to feature the Season 8 stuff now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Panella
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
A really good point. I'll comb through and see what I can change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Panella
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Whoa, it's been a while. I did a quick run through this and updated it for Season 9.

Some of the links might not work--I'll check on those eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls