Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Action Cards - Patriarch's Order of Preference rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the critical choices you are presented in the early stages is which of two action cards to select each refresh phase, and therefore which new leader to recruit.
I thought I would set out my own preferences for the cards when playing either side in the base game, and how this may change when playing the Rise of the Empire expansion. Of course opinions vary with my mood, the state of the game, what sort of leaders my opponent is building and whether I have certain leader specific mission cards in my hand.
Rebels first:

Rebels - Base Game

1: One in a Million - Luke / Wedge
Special: During a combat or mission, before rolling dice, choose the results of up to 2 dice.
Essential for guaranteeing a direct hit on the Death Star in one go (I once took 6 rounds to kill a defenceless Death Star). Secondly useful for pretty much guaranteeing a mission will pass or fail. Generally I’ll pick Luke, and hope to get Wedge’s unique action card (and Seek Yoda by myself).

2: Wookie Guardian - Chewbacca
Special: Before opponent rolls dice on a spec ops mission, the mission fails.
Brilliant – automatic shut down of (in order:) Planetary Assault on the Rebel base, Carbon Freeze (as long as Chewie himself isn’t the target) or even a Capture of someone essential. Just watch out for dirty tricks by Boba Fett with his own action card "Blindside", or Chewie being on a mission so he can’t oppose to play this card.

3: An Old Friend – Han Solo
Assignment: Place in Bespin to recruit Lando or Kashyyyk to recruit Chewbacca there.
I think one of the best action cards in the base game – a whole new leader if you use up Han for the turn. Lando is more all-round useful than Chewie if recruited without action cards.

4: Undercover - Lando / Obi Wan
Special: When opponent attempts mission. Before rolling any dice, move this leader to that system.
Very, very good hidden mechanic here. The power of this card isn’t about resisting a mission somewhere else, but that Lando or Obi Wan can move a rebel fleet that is suddenly free to move again. I’ve blown up the Death Star (and won the game) using this card by gathering a huge fleet with Obi Wan, removing Obi Wan on the next Imperial mission, and then attack with the fleet using another leader.. The fact that both leaders on this card are particularly good (Lando can do a bit of everything; Obi Wan is the best Intel leader in the Rebellion until Luke meets Yoda) is icing on the cake.

5: Independent Operation - Lando
Assignment: Leader to subjugated system. Imperial player moves all his ground units to any Imperial system (with no Rebel units) ignoring adjacency/transport. Can only be played if there are valid systems to move to.
This can be incredible. Imperial army right on your base’s doorstep? Not anymore! You have at least one more turn to run away…. Remember that the Imperial player gets to choose where they go. According to the FAQ you can’t play this if the Imperials have nowhere to go – in which case you are crushing them in this game anyway.

6: Noble Sacrifice - Obi Wan
Special: When captured, eliminate Obi Wan and gain 1 Reputation.
Very, very good, when you get it to go off. Obi Wan is a good leader (3 Intels!) and though you’ll be sad to see him go, I’ll gladly sacrifice him so the Imperials lose another turn to find me. Remember to send him on all the rescue type missions so that you can ruin Darth Vader’s day when he plays It Is Your Destiny…. and that’s probably the last time he’ll try to capture Obi-Wan. If there is a downside, it is very specific (you are relying on the Imperials being willing and able to capture Obi Wan to do it) but it means you can feel free to send him on the most dangerous missions in hostile territory.

7: Target the Star Destroyers – Wedge
Combat: In space combat rounds, treat up to 2 black hits as red hits.
Main use is to score the “Rebel Assault ” objective when your fleet wouldn’t otherwise be up to killing a Star Destroyer. Second use is just to wipe out a system’s transport options. Remember you don’t need X-Wings to use this – Mon Cals and Cruisers both have black dice you might rather spend on SD/SSD/ACs than killing TIEs.

8: Son of Skywalker - Luke
Special: If mission succeeds in Luke’s system, place “Seek Yoda” or “Daring Rescue” in hand, then shuffle missions.
Hmmm. Jedi Luke is a great help, but I don’t really want to have to use up an action card to get him on top of Seek Yoda, particularly when the Empire knows exactly where he’s going next turn. This card is as high as it is because getting Luke should get me Jedi Luke soon, but I’ll really wish I’d drawn One In A Million instead. Don’t bother with the Daring Rescue option unless you already have “Seek Yoda” and your other missions aren’t much better.

9: Ambush - Madine
Destroy up to 3 health of GROUND units in system.
Not bad: Stormtrooper-plus AT-ST subjugation combos are popular in my games, and this just deletes them. Turn an Imperial system back into a Rebel system in one stroke. Alternatively make a ground force much less scary without its AT-AT minder, or kill off the assault carrier they were relying on for transport.

10: The Millennium Falcon - Han Solo / Chewbacca
Attach Falcon ring. When this Leader succeeds in a mission, lose ring to automatically rescue a captured Leader in that system.
Can be useful, but remember that Darth Vader’s action card will still capture you. Both leaders have better cards elsewhere (at least in the base game). I think Han rather than Chewie (who’s best use is his Wookie Bodyguard card).

11: It’s a Trap - Ackbar
Combat: In 1st round OF A SPACE BATTLE, opponent cannot play tactics cards.
OK if you want to kill something quickly before it has chance to block the damage. Ackbar himself is decent enough, a sort-of Mon Mothma who can do space combat.

12: Point Blank Assault: Ackbar / Madine
Combat: All units in system have -1 health, minimum 1.
OK if you have lots of fighters or Rebel troopers against big stuff I guess, but in fights you have picked, this will probably hurt you as much as them. If I had to score “Rebel Assault” I’d rather have Wedge’s card than this one. Ackbar over Madine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rebels – Rise of the Empire

First off, RotE may give you a choice in your starting action cards, with “Rebel Extremist”: Either draw another starting action card, or lose 1 reputation & recruit Saw Gerrera.
I would not recommend taking up this offer. Fun as Saw Garrera is (a thug who can organize a rota!) there is no need to give the Imperials 1 extra turn to find the base, just to get an extra leader for a few turns until you hit the cap. I’ll happily sacrifice a leader to gain reputation (Obi Wan!) not the other way around. Swap for another card without stopping to think.

On to the recruitment cards:

1: One in a Million - Luke / Wedge
Still the best card. There is sort of a possibility the Imperials could allow you blow up the starting Death Star Under Construction in the first 3 turns to rule out giving you the Death Star Plans objective later on, which would make this card less useful; but is that really ever going to happen.

2: Wookie Guardian - Chewbacca
Still great for the same reasons.

3: Under the Radar – Cassian Andor / Saw Gerrera
Immediate: Look at top 4 probe cards. Keep 1 facedown, replace others at top or bottom in any order. At start of your turn in command phase, may return probe card to top of probe deck.
This is brilliant, and has won/saved me the game. Needs a bit of luck to get a good system, however the advantage of this card over the much-missed “Plant False Lead” mission is that you have several turns to wait for the Imperials to leave the system (or kick them out yourself). This ability gets less and less useful as the Imperials rule out more and more systems, so not only do you want that system empty, but you need to clear out more neighbouring systems as a buffer. Remember to trigger this as late in the command phase as possible, after you have used Rapid Mobilization and your other missions, and preferably after the Imperials have used all their own Intel missions– the last thing you want is for the Imperials to Infiltrate and steal your prize probe card before you get to use it. Cassian over Saw for me.

4: Something to Fight For - Jyn Erso
Special: After you win a battle* choose a discarded objective card & place on top of the deck.
*Confirmed by FFG they meant battle, not combat.
Excellent card. The main reason you have discarded objectives is because you already scored them... and oftentimes the Empire won’t fix the thing that led you to score it last time. Even better if you can combo this with a “draw an objective” mission or action card. Also, Jyn is another good leader, but remember that she has to be present in the combat.

5: Undercover - Lando / Obi Wan
Still good for the same reason. Attacker advantage is much less in the mechanics, but there are lots of “Combat You Initiated” objectives the Imperials won’t see coming in one turn once you move Lando or Obi Wan out of the fleet’s system again.

6: Independent Operation - Lando
Still good in RotE.

7: Noble Sacrifice - Obi Wan
Funnily enough this is even better now both sides have leader caps and you have more opportunities to recruit extra leaders once Obi Wan is dead.

8: Target the Star Destroyers – Wedge
Still useful, though you are no longer guaranteed to have “Rebel Assault” in your objective deck. However sometimes you really, really need to kill an interdictor quickly.

9: The Millennium Falcon - Han Solo / Chewbacca
Getting your leaders back is slightly less crucial in this expansion because the leader cap doesn’t apply, and you can recruit beyond turn 5. However you don’t want the Imperials getting lots of information out of your leaders, and “Leave No One Behind” is an Objective you’ll be happy to score.

10: An Old Friend – Han Solo
Not as good, since there is now a leader cap, so your advantage is temporary. Still, Chewie and Lando are both much better than Motti, so it’s better than the Empire’s equivalent card.

11: Son of Skywalker - Luke
You have a cap on leaders so maybe it’s as well to have the best one in the game. However the “You Are My Only Hope” mission is now another way to recruit Luke if you really want him. So maybe this action card drops a little in value. You can now pick up the “Critical Rescue” card if you ditched the base missions for this one, however Farmboy Luke can’t even do that mission on his own; so the sequence of events where you’d take that option are pretty remote.

12: Ambush - Madine
Still good, though there are more generally useful leaders than Madine.

13: Baze’s Loyalty - Chirrut Imwe
Combat: Destroy 2 health-worth of units.
Not as good as Madine’s “Ambush”, since it does less damage and you have to already be in a combat. But perfect for cutting off an escape route (assault carrier) or reducing the number of dice he has. Chirrut is a better leader in general though.

14: He Means Well - Cassian Andor
Immediate: Add K-2SO ring to a non-ringed leader. That leader gains minor spec ops and intel icons.
Well, not awful, and Cassian is a handy leader before he is boosted by this card, but if I get this I’ll be wishing I had “Under the Radar” instead. K-2SO doesn’t have to go with Cassian of course, any of the base game leaders will benefit from extra green dice or taking on missions they couldn’t before.

15: Trust in the Force - Jyn Erso / Chirrut Imwe
Assignment: Place this leader in subjugated system. Gain 1 loyalty and destroy 1 triangle ground unit in system.
Hmm. The ideal is to find a neutral system with a single Stormtrooper on it, and voila! It’s now an empty rebel system. I like Jyn, however both these leaders have better action cards. I’d only take this if I knew I wasn’t going to get Jyn’s action card later, and hope the Empire leaves me some easy pickings.

16: It’s a Trap - Ackbar
Combat: In 1st round OF A SPACE BATTLE, opponent cannot play tactics cards.
Not too bad in the new combat system, knowing that you can do something special in the first round which the Imperials can’t counter. The grand tactics prize, using the new Confrontation tactic card off to kill the Emperor or Vader with a ground combat, is still asking a lot of Ackbar with his 1 reroll – if you have enough of a ground advantage to pull this off, you probably don’t need the action card to help.

17: Point Blank Assault: Ackbar / Madine
Still the same. Apart from “Rebel Extremist” this is the worst action card the rebels have… in fact it’s worse since Rebel Extremist lets you pick another card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperials – Base Game

1: Catch Them by Surprise – Ozzel
Assignment: Place in any system. Move Imperial units from adjacent systems here & resolve any combat.
Ozzel is a pretty awful leader, but this is the best action card the Imperials have, so you should choose it (and him) when it appears. Save this for when you know where the Rebel base is, but the Rebels are in a position to perform a spoiling attack on your strike force; alternatively take out (or defend) Corsucant before the Rebels can reinforce.

2: Blindside - Janus / Boba Fett
Special: Use before revealing this leader’s mission. Your opponent cannot send leaders from his leader pool to oppose this mission.
Stick Boba Fett on Planetary Assault or Carbon Freeze and ruin the Rebel’s day. Better to take Boba than Janus for general utility. If they are worried about Planetary Assault, the Rebels may pre-empt this card by sticking “Wookie Guardian” Chewie in the Rebel base system. Watch out for Chewie activating a “random” system as the first leader move in a turn as it may be a giveaway. Janus’ “Imperial Propaganda” is so funny when it goes off but it isn’t as directly game-winning or –saving as the two spec ops missions.

3: Local Rumors - Yularen
Assignment: System containing Imp unit. Rebel player must state whether the Rebel base is in this region.
Very nice – this can save a lot of hassle for a round or two if you pick a distant region. Icing on the cake is that Yularen is a strong leader. Beware though, this only works until the Rebels move the base, so try to stack up your threats in a single turn.

4: Boba Fett? Where? - Boba Fett (duh)
Assignment: Imperial system. In next Command Phase, Rebels can’t attempt missions or use action cards here.
Very nice, and Boba is one of the few new leaders good enough on his own terms. Great if you want to keep a prisoner secure from rescue or protect the Death Star. Remember it only works in Imperial Systems, so won’t work on the Rebel Base system unless you have triggered system loyalty or have already won the ground battle.

5: Ready for Action - Piett / Veers
Combat: Take this leader from your leader pool and place him in this system. This leader cannot retreat, and he returns to your leader pool at the end of the combat
Pretty good, 2 decent leaders to choose from (I’d go Piett), and they can defend one battle and then lead a fleet somewhere else.

6: Public Support - Janus
Assignment: Imp system, no Rebel ground unit. Gain 3 Stormtroopers. Does not prevent moving out.
Although he can’t move armies around, this can be a gamewinner if you find yourself on the bases’ doorstep with a fleet but no boots on the ground. Can also put a stop to “Heart of the Empire”. Janus’ own mission is a stinker which can really demoralise the rebels, and he frees up the Emperor from mundane tasks like “Rule by Fear”.

7: Good Intel - Soontir Fel / Yularen
Combat: The Rebel player must keep his hand of tactic cards faceup.
OK for a critical battle. Yularen is a much better choice of the two; which is the only thing putting this card ahead of Scouting Mission.

8: Scouting Mission - Soontir Fel
Assignment: Move up to 4 TIE Fighters (any systems) here, ignore transport/ adj. & resolve any combat
Soontir isn’t great, but this Action could save you the game if the base is out of your reach, you have Planetary Assault but the cheeky Rebels have left a single Y-Wing in the airspace to block your victory… I’ve seen this done more than once, and the Imperials really regretted not having this card (or having their fleet in the right place). If you are confident the Rebels will never entirely squeeze out of your grasp, take something else.

9: Proceeding as Planned - Ozzel / Jerjerrod
Assignment: Search project deck for 1 card of your choice and assign this leader. Shuffle project deck.
If you are desperate to deploy a super star destroyer. Both of these leaders are pretty poor however.

10: Keep Them from Escaping - Piett
Combat: Rebel units cannot retreat.
Piett is good, but his joint card with Veers is better.

11: Target the Generator - Veers
Combat: Destroy 1 structure of your choice in this system.
Meh. If you are up against a rebel structure where it matters, that’s probably the Rebel Base system, and this should be a very one-sided fight in your favour anyway. However Veers is a decent ground leader, and Planetary Assault is a gamewinning mission, so that’s the reason you’d take this card.

12: Fully Operational - Jerjerrod
Combat: If Death Star or DSUC is in this system, destroy 1 Rebel ship of your choice in the system.
Urgh. Purely to try and stop the Rebels taking out the Death Star. Don’t take the bait and blow up a Mon Cal – take out one fighter instead, and tip Death Star survival very slightly in your direction . This might seem like a waste of a card to kill one poxy X-Wing: your compensation is the worst leader in the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperials – Rise of the Empire

Like the Rebels, you now might get a starting card which presents you with a choice, "Early Promotion". Draw 1 starting card or recruit Motti. Place Motti & Tarkin in Imp system.
Motti is possibly the worst leader in the game, but he moves fleets and does logistics missions as well as anyone else. You will lose Tarkin for 1 turn to gain Motti for 2 turns, after which time you have maxed out on leaders and need to kill off the excess (probably Motti. It’s a tough life in the Imperial Navy). Motti’s own mission “Discredit Rebellion” is good if it goes off, but even if you arrange things perfectly it’s unlikely to succeed. If you haven’t drawn Vader’s action card, or are otherwise happy with your starting mission, I’d burn this and draw another card.

1: Catch Them by Surprise – Ozzel
Still the best action card, if a mediocre leader. I don’t see what Vader’s problem was in Empire Strikes Back if this is what Ozzel was up to.

2: Ambitions of Power - Motti / Jabba
Special: Play if you have more than 8 leaders in leader pool. Your leader pool limit increased by 1 for rest of game.
The best of the new Imperial action cards. Take Jabba, obviously, and stifle the Rebels with missions, moves, opposition, and finally R&D. If you already have “Post Bounty” (and Motti, for that matter), it’s still worth taking this card rather than a lesser one.

3: Local Rumors - Yularen
Still a good card and a good leader.

4: Boba Fett? Where? - Boba Fett
Still good for the same reasons. Sadly your target markers will be on remote systems, where this card can’t be used.

5: Post Bounty - Jabba
Special: Use after a leader fails mission in this leader’s system. Attach bounty ring to 1 un-ringed leader. When that leader is captured, rebels lose 1 reputation.
Jabba seems useful even if he can’t lead your fleets around, and anything which dents the Rebel’s reputation is worth having. Best use for this is when you have a capture mission already lined up to spring. Again, I’d be very tempted to take this card even if I already had Jabba from Ambitions of Power.

6: Secret Facility - Krennic / Krennic’s Finest
Immediate: Place 1 of your probe cards facedown under this. In your turn in command phase, reveal to place 1 shield bunker & 1 triangle ground unit in system. Resolve combat. Doesn’t need K/KF in the system.
If you can, pick a system in the far corner of the board, where the Rebels will think they are safe from your fleets. You’ll either immediately find the base, or gain a deployment planet in the middle of enemy territory. Bonus if you can steal Mon Calamari off them. Don’t bother triggering it if you aren’t confident you can take out the occupants; if there is more than one ground trooper there, you probably won’t survive the combat. If the Rebel player still has the “Hold Them Back” tactic card, you are doomed. I’d say take Krennic as more all-round useful than his goons.

7: Public Support - Janus
Still good. Doesn’t work on remote systems (where the DSUC is being built) though. It goes up the charts as some of the other cards lose a bit.

8: Ready for Action - Piett / Veers
Still good.

9: Blindside - Janus / Boba Fett
Still good, but this doesn’t stop Subversion… which is what the Rebels will use against a critical Imperial mission.

10: Good Intel - Soontir Fel / Yularen
The effect changes to:
Combat: If using advanced tactics cards, every round, rebel player must choose and reveal his tactic card before you choose yours.
Again, nice for a one-off critical battle where you are attacking.

11: Scouting Mission - Soontir Fel
Same.

12: Sweep the Area - Krennic’s Finest
Immediate : Place 1 of your probe cards facedown under this. End of any command phase, reveal card to capture 1 leader in system (doesn’t need KF). Move leader to closest system with Imp units.
Cool effect, but at the beginning of the game (when you are recruiting) you won’t get much choice of probe cards. Useful if you know where the Rebels are likely to perform missions (Death Star, square build systems, and captured leaders seem good guesses); other than that it’s a bit of a lucky dip. You’ll feel like a boss if you trap Jedi Luke this way though.

13: Proceeding as Planned - Ozzel / Jerjerrod
Again, bit of a sign of desperation, although the expansion gives you more projects to rifle through, and less missions to grab them from. I’d just keep playing the R&D mission rather than waste recruitment on these two, but YMMV.

14: Lord Vader’s Orders - Krennic
Immediate: Look at top 3 objectives, replace on top of deck in any order.
Amusingly, this gives you far more insight into Rebel objectives than the Rebel player has, not only for the order they are coming, but what his actual objectives are. However my strategy won’t change much knowing what else the Rebels will try to do in the next couple of turns– this card’s main value to me is for getting Krennic.

15: Keep Them from Escaping - Piett
Less important now you can build interdictors, though Piett himself is essentially an indestructible interdictor who can reroll lots of dice.

16: Target the Generator - Veers
Still not great. If there is a structure, you must be the one attacking. If you are, you should be expecting to win anyway. Also Krennic’s Finest are now better at the jobs you had for Veers.

17: Fully Operational - Jerjerrod
Now even worse. You have multiple options for protecting Death Stars now (added TIE Strikers, shield generator, Krennic’s mission), and blowing up one ship with an action card is the worst of the lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Watson
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good stuff. You've offered some great analysis on all the leaders so far and I find it reassuring that it pretty much mirrors my own--so thanks for the back-up.

As you stated there are lots of factors that will influence what leader to choose in a given game. I tend to look at skills when choosing, often opting to fill in where I am weak. I also factor in their signature mission cards (so much easier if you have it in hand when making your choice).

For a few examples, when playing as the Empire:

a) I love Yularen's intel skills; with him I know I have a leader that can usually handle/counter any intel missions on his own; his action cards and signature mission are bonuses.

b) I like Piett for his skills, especially intel, and "Ready for Action" is a very nice action card.

c) Ozzel's not a great leader overall, but "Catch Them by Surprise" can be critical and I find his signature probe droid mission is great for drilling through the probe deck. If I have that mission in hand, I might select Ozzel over a "better" leader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, Ozzel is a poor leader with great unique action card and mission.

I'd put Yularen as great in all three categories, with Jabba, Boba Fett and Janus only losing out because of tactics. The Emperor also qualifies but you get him anyway.

People don't rate Soontir Fel very well but his action card helped win a game tonight. I blundered into the Rebel base on turn two, and was far too weak to overcome the defenders. Serious firepower was too far away or up the build queue, and I had only a token force next door, beset by massive Rebel reinforcements all around.

Soontir took a suicide wave of TIE fighters into the heart of the Rebel fleet, managing to knock out two ships. This was just enough to tip the space battle in my favour when I followed up with my weaker fleet. By the end the Rebels held the planet but I scraped a win in the skies. The deathblow came from Vader and Veers' Planetary Assault, the last airspeeder bringing down the AT-AT before being shot down itself. The ion cannon was swarmed with Stormtroopers and the base fell in turn 4.

In that game Scouting Mission was the only action card I played. My opponent was unlucky that I pulled Veers and Planetary Assault right when I needed them, and he had already burned Wookie Guardian to prevent a capture. Without Soontir's TIEs I couldn't have taken the base for at least a couple more turns, and I think he would have built up an insurmountable buffer by the time I had gathered a large enough fleet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Thanks for this! I like reading stuff organised like that, even if I don't always agree with a particular assessment.

A few thoughts:

Patriarchxyz wrote:
Destroy up to 3 health of units in system.
Not bad: Stormtrooper-plus AT-ST subjugation combos are popular in my games, and this just deletes them. Turn an Imperial system back into a Rebel system in one stroke. Alternatively make a ground force much less scary without its AT-AT minder, or kill off the assault carrier they were relying on for transport.

It's only 3-health worth of ground units. Still, I think it's got a huge buff in expansion. It makes for a nice combo with Plant Explosives (especially if Empire needs to move units this round) and if your base defence relies on Generators (which can soak up to 5 damage each: 2 in one combat round, 3 in a subsequent round), it's good to knock off all AT-ATs before combat even starts, so they cannot use their tactic.

Patriarchxyz wrote:
You have a cap on leaders so maybe it’s as well to have the best one in the game. However the “You Are My Only Hope” mission is now another way to recruit Luke if you really want him. So maybe this action card drops a little in value. You can now pick up the “Critical Rescue” card if you ditched the base missions for this one, however Farmboy Luke can’t even do that mission on his own; so the sequence of events where you’d take that option are pretty remote.

It doesn't matter that Luke cannot do Critical Rescue; mission card goes directly to your hand (unlike with Our Most Desperate Hour).

Patriarchxyz wrote:
15: Trust in the Force - Jyn Erso / Chirrut Imwe
Assignment: Place this leader in subjugated system. Gain 1 loyalty and destroy 1 triangle ground unit in system.
Hmm. The ideal is to find a neutral system with a single Stormtrooper on it, and voila! It’s now an empty rebel system.

Or instead (if there are no space units there) use it as a convenient system to safely reveal missions which require Imperial unit, knowing that you can easily rescue a leader if needed.

Patriarchxyz wrote:
Combat: In 1st round, opponent cannot play tactics cards.
Not too bad in the new combat system, knowing that you can do something special in the first round which the Imperials can’t counter. The grand tactics prize, using the new Confrontation tactic card off to kill the Emperor or Vader with a ground combat, is still asking a lot of Ackbar with his 1 reroll – if you have enough of a ground advantage to pull this off, you probably don’t need the action card to help.

It only affects space tactics. I used it recently and played "Empire cannot play tactic next round" card, so my opponent was without space tactics for initial two rounds.

Patriarchxyz wrote:
Immediate: Place 1 of your probe cards facedown under this. In your turn in command phase, reveal to place 1 shield bunker & 1 triangle ground unit in system. Resolve combat. Doesn’t need K/KF in the system.

It's any triangle unit (ground or space), so in some situations you can take control of space theatre with the help of Bunker's space tactic card (remove 2 damage).

Also about Secret Facility:
Patriarchxyz wrote:
If you can, pick a system in the far corner of the board, where the Rebels will think they are safe from your fleets. You’ll either immediately find the base, or gain a deployment planet in the middle of enemy territory.

(Emphasis mine.)

Schrödinger's probe? It would have to be in two places at once: under the "Location" space on board and under the Secret Facility card.

Patriarchxyz wrote:
10: Good Intel - Soontir Fel / Yularen
The effect changes to:
Combat: If using advanced tactics cards, every round, rebel player must choose and reveal his tactic card before you choose yours.
Again, nice for a one-off critical battle where you are attacking.

It works in exactly the same way when defending, unless you mean something specific about attacking.

Patriarchxyz wrote:
14: Lord Vader’s Orders - Krennic
Immediate: Look at top 3 objectives, replace on top of deck in any order.
Amusingly, this gives you far more insight into Rebel objectives than the Rebel player has, not only for the order they are coming, but what his actual objectives are. However my strategy won’t change much knowing what else the Rebels will try to do in the next couple of turns– this card’s main value to me is for getting Krennic.

I think there's some value in rearranging too: if you know Rebels play Infiltration frequently, placing e.g. Death Star Plans and another, inconvenient objective on the top will likely result in another objective sent to the bottom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perf wrote:
Patriarchxyz wrote:
D'oh

It's only 3-health worth of ground units. Still, I think it's got a huge buff in expansion. It makes for a nice combo with Plant Explosives (especially if Empire needs to move units this round) and if your base defence relies on Generators (which can soak up to 5 damage each: 2 in one combat round, 3 in a subsequent round), it's good to knock off all AT-ATs before combat even starts, so they cannot use their tactic.
Good spot, thanks. Very nice combo too, as Madine contributes 2 extra dice on top of killing an AT-AT.

Perf wrote:
Patriarchxyz wrote:

It doesn't matter that Luke cannot do Critical Rescue; mission card goes directly to your hand (unlike with Our Most Desperate Hour).
True, my gripe is that Luke isn't enough to pull it this mission off all by himself, as he was with all the missions on the original card. Then again, he couldn't have rescued Leia from the detention area on his own, so I guess it is thematic...

Perf wrote:
Patriarchxyz wrote:
D'oh!

It only affects space tactics.
Good spot, thanks again.

Perf wrote:
Patriarchxyz wrote:
It's any triangle unit (ground or space), so in some situations you can take control of space theatre with the help of Bunker's space tactic card (remove 2 damage).
Also about Secret Facility:
Patriarchxyz wrote:
If you can, pick a system in the far corner of the board, where the Rebels will think they are safe from your fleets. You’ll either immediately find the base, or gain a deployment planet in the middle of enemy territory.
(Emphasis mine.)
Schrödinger's probe? It would have to be in two places at once: under the "Location" space on board and under the Secret Facility card.
Very true, you can't ever uncover on the base since you won't have the card (unless you are cheating with another set of probe cards...whistle ). But it could give you a good place to start from (Hoth if you think they could be on Endor etc...)

Perf wrote:
Patriarchxyz wrote:
10: Good Intel - Soontir Fel / YularenAgain, nice for a one-off critical battle where you are attacking.
It works in exactly the same way when defending, unless you mean something specific about attacking.
Agreed, but since the attacker is often on the back foot so to speak, this is a small bonus in that you know in advance what the defender is doing with his card. If you have a TIE Striker for instance, you will know whether you want to pick that card to cancel his card, or let it go through because you have a better card to play. In a defensive battle, you might expect the Rebel forces to be overwhelming (if not, why are they attacking?) hence the card might be a bit of a waste.

Thank you for pointing out the errors, I have corrected them in the guide in the files area. (At least when the file uploads...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Argentina
Paraná
Entre Ríos
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambush [Madine] is an AMAZING card because it can make an impossible Heart of the Empire, possible; take out a dread AT-ST before it's too late; reinforce a crucial fist/eye mission; allow for an easier Incite Rebellion/Public Uprising + Liberation/Crippling Blow combo; or save a ground occupied Rebel Base System.

Also, Madine is the best all-around leader apart from Luke, with two fists for missions/capture opposition, and two eyes for the objetive missions.

I would take "Ambush" on top of "Son of Skywalker", "Target the Star Destroyers" or "Noble Sacrifice" anyday.

-------------------

My ranking is:

01: One in a Million - Luke or Wedge
It's a free objetive completion; otherwise, a life saber [].

02: Wookie Guardian - Chewbacca
It can foil a "Retrieve Plans" or "Planetary Conquest" catastrophe; else, a get-out-of-jail free card or Carbon Freeze slowdown.

03: Undercover - Lando or Obi Wan
Amazing card: a free oppose action or double-fleet-move with system activation/Hidden Fleet/Plan the Assault combo for a Coruscant/Death Star objetive completion. Also, you may be able to achieve an attack-retreat-Undercover-attack in order to advance three systems.

04: Ambush - Madine
[See start of the post]

05: Independent Operation - Lando
May be a life saver if you have a strong ground force approaching your base -or a nice bluff-, can also push a nasty AT-ST far away, where it can do no harm.

06: An Old Friend – Han Solo
One wasted action for an extra leader next round: fair enough. REALLY good early on, may help a lot if 1+ leaders have been captured already or you have not enough fist leaders and you need Chewie. Loses a lot of points if it's your fourth recruit card.

07: Target the Star Destroyers – Wedge
Only good if you need fists and/or you still have a "destroy ships" objective. It can also be a good pick if you want one particular SD/Transport out of the board -in order to stall imperial troops in a particular system-.

08: The Millennium Falcon - Han Solo or Chewbacca
A "reaction" card, not my favourite type of card. Only good if you fear an early capture and/or the remaining recruit options seems to be rather bad.

09: It’s a Trap - Ackbar
Can get a lot of points if you need a particular space battle won. Also Point Blank Assault is a pretty bad card so I prefer this one if I want Ackbar.

10: Noble Sacrifice - Obi Wan
Good if I didn't take Lando yet and/or I already have "For the Greater Good". Otherwise, I would just ignore it for it's too predictable unless it's the 3rd/4th recruit -it may prevent Obi Wan from being captured-.

A really crappy card. Luke is NOT that good without the Seek Yoda mission already in hand, and you may end up recruiting luke with Daring Rescue an S.Y. already in hand/discarded.

12: Point Blank Assault - Ackbar or Madine
So niche it loses much of it's power. It's a "nothing better came up" card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Prophet
United Kingdom
London
Camden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done some thought on this, and these are how I would rank them currently (Expansion only):

Rebels

Wookie Guardian
Independent Operation
One in a Million
Baze's Loyalty
Trust in the Force
Undercover
Something to Fight For
Ambush
Noble Sacrifice
The Millennium Falcon
Under the Radar
Target the Star Destroyers
Son of Skywalker
An Old Friend
He Means Well
It's a Trap
Point Blank Assault

Imperials
Local Rumours
Catch Them By Surprise
Boba Fett Where?
Keep Them From Escaping
Blindside
Sweep The Area
Lord Vader's Orders
Secret Facility
Post Bounty
Scouting Mission
Ready for Action
Proceeding As Planned
Good Intel
Ambitions of Power
Target The Generator
Public Support
Fully Operational

Just a quickly put together list, might put my reasoning later. Also I think Fully Operational could see having some great uses in a Protective aspect (destroying a Nebulon B in an attack on the DS) that could become a thing that raises it in my ranks. Might also split it into ranks per deck choice later too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.