9 Posts

Clash of Cultures» Forums » General

Subject: Questions before playing first time rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
FRANCISCO ROZA
Argentina
flag msg tools
So tomorrow it will be my first play with some friends, i need to teach them, so i'm reading and watching videos all i can.

Some questions:

1)When you attack you spent and action, if you want to continue your attack you spend another action right?

2)Defense, when you defend and you dont have anyone only a city with all pieces, you defend with 1 dice because of the fortress right? if they impact you, you choose which part of the city remove?

3)When fishing you can get a mood or gold token besides a food?

4)When you win a battle against a barbarian settlement, if you can you always convert the settlement to you? or you can always choice sell it for gold?

5)Status phase: you choose to raze a 1 city? or you need to do it? its optional?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1)When you attack you spent and action, if you want to continue your attack you spend another action right?

No, you cannot attack with the same units/group that have been involved in combat until your next turn. Same for any units that moved into Mountains during your current turn. You CAN move (and attack with) a different group as one of your 3 moves for that action.
Edit: If you're talking about a single attack, then know that combat lasts until one side (or both) are eliminated or the attacker chooses to retreat.

Quote:
2)Defense, when you defend and you dont have anyone only a city with all pieces, you defend with 1 dice because of the fortress right? if they impact you, you choose which part of the city remove?

Yes, I believe so (I don't have the rulebook handy). Note that an unoccupied city defends differently depending on whether the attacker is another player or barbarians.

Quote:

This is only when you have a Port in that sea space, correct? Not from the Fishing Advance itself. The Fishing advance is a prerequisite to the port though.

Quote:
4)When you win a battle against a barbarian settlement, if you can you always convert the settlement to you? or you can always choice sell it for gold?

You choose. Sometimes, you want the gold, other times you want to convert it. Note that you also get one gold per barbarian defeated when you capture the settlement.

Quote:
5)Status phase: you choose to raze a 1 city? or you need to do it? its optional?

Optional. It probably says "may", which indicates it is the choice of the player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FRANCISCO ROZA
Argentina
flag msg tools
Thanks!

one more!

when doing cultural influence, you can spend a cultural token to increase range or plus 1 on dice. Could you do the second after rolling the dice? or you need to declared before?

Can i spend more than 1? maybe 3 for plus 3 on dice? and hit them with a 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Wilson
United States
Montgomery
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frozan wrote:
Thanks!

one more!

when doing cultural influence, you can spend a cultural token to increase range or plus 1 on dice. Could you do the second after rolling the dice? or you need to declared before?

Can i spend more than 1? maybe 3 for plus 3 on dice? and hit them with a 2?

You declare your cultural influence action and choose a target.
Pay culture tokens to increase range (if needed) to reach the target.
Roll the die
Pay culture token(s) to boost your roll (if wanted -- this is optional).
If your total, including any boost from culture tokens, was 5 or more, your attempt was successful and you convert one piece.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Quote:

Yes to the first. You could also play an action card which says "fortress" on it.
No to the second. Or partly - if against barbarians you loose 1 part of the city for each hit. If against a player they just capture the city (so no need for them to roll since nothing to hit for them - unless you are using elephants from the expansion which may cancel a hit if the right roll comes).

Quote:

You would get either instead of the 1 food. This is only if you have a Port in that city. It doesn't matter which sea space, though - just that the city has a port.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FRANCISCO ROZA
Argentina
flag msg tools
Randor20 wrote:
Quote:

Yes to the first. You could also play an action card which says "fortress" on it.
No to the second. Or partly - if against barbarians you loose 1 part of the city for each hit. If against a player they just capture the city (so no need for them to roll since nothing to hit for them - unless you are using elephants from the expansion which may cancel a hit if the right roll comes).

Quote:

You would get either instead of the 1 food. This is only if you have a Port in that city. It doesn't matter which sea space, though - just that the city has a port.

Thanks!! more questions:

1)Cultural influence, if i target a city that already has some part of the city influenced, i can choose whatever part of the city to influence? or who is decided?

2)Attack and move: For example if I do a move action, and I move my first group and that group enters a enemy city and attack. after the battle ends, can i move another army and battle again, using same action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1)Cultural influence, if i target a city that already has some part of the city influenced, i can choose whatever part of the city to influence? or who is decided?

Yes, but in most cases, it doesn't matter which piece is influenced. And you can never influence the settlement piece or (if using expansion) Obelisk.

Quote:
2)Attack and move: For example if I do a move action, and I move my first group and that group enters a enemy city and attack. after the battle ends, can i move another army and battle again, using same action?

Yes, key words being "another army".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
The only thing that influenced city pieces do is effect the end of game scoring, I do believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Wilson
United States
Montgomery
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
Quote:

Yes, but in most cases, it doesn't matter which piece is influenced. And you can never influence the settlement piece or (if using expansion) Obelisk.

Quote:

Yes, key words being "another army".

When influencing a city that is already under cultural influence, one consideration is the victim's hope of retaliation. Think about a victim city of size 3 where another opponent already has one building under influence. If you influence the remaining building in the victim's color, that city is going to be very hard for that player to ever get back under his own influence. (This is important because a player can only initiate a cultural influence action from a city that is not under foreign influence). But if you influence the opponent colored building, it does half the work of restoring the city to the owners control (the owner only has one piece to reclaim rather than two.)

Of course, the relative strengths of the players' positions and the politics in play are likely going to be bigger factors than this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.