Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet» Forums » Rules

Subject: Exploring AND Gathering? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello there -
Can I take a move action and then a gather action with the same rover (ie Froggy Scorpio) in the same round?

If I understand the rules correctly, you need to spend the extra actions to get TO the space you wish to explore or gather... so what if I spent the extra actions to get to a space I want to explore.... and then just spend a little to get to one space over and gather (I know I can't gather on a space I just explored that turn.)

Can I do that?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. Can't do that.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Calcagno
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is kind of an apples and oranges question...
There is no such thing as a "move action"...you "enter ROIs" to do something when you get there, such as explore, gather or research.

You are correct about:
1. cannot explore and then gather in the same ROI in one round...it comes to being able to have "all the prerequisites" of the action as you are assigning all actions for the round. So, you can only gather in an ROI that was previously explored before that round began.

And the -1 "pawn" symbols in the ROIs just mean it takes 1 extra action pawn to complete whatever action you are planning in that ROI.

So, for example, from the HUB to R3 you want to gather a sample. You would need to add 2 EDIT: oops, 3 extra pawnsextra pawns (1 for each ROI you traverse to get to R3) and then assign either a 3rd 4th pawn (or use the rover as an extra pawn) to roll for a gather, or assign an additional pawn (5 total) for automatic gather success.

Also note that Froggy can only be used for exploration, and that Scorpio can be used for all 4 (explore, gather, research, build)...for one of those per round.

Does that make any sense, and is it answering your question?

(And everyone else: did I mess up any rules in the explanation???)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Mayo
United States
Schertz
TX
flag msg tools
Have you paid your dues, Jack?
badge
Yes sir, the check is in the mail.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OutOfHabit wrote:
If I understand the rules correctly, you need to spend the extra actions to get TO the space you wish to explore or gather...


Don't think of it in terms of moving TO a space. That will mess you up. When you do an action outside the HUB, the added movement cost (in pawns) takes into account that you are traveling from AND back to the HUB--it's a round-trip journey. After your action (such as Gather or Explore), you aren't now sitting in your rover out on the surface of Mars--you are back at the HUB.

I was confused by this also. The wording in the rulebook tried to be precise, but it ended up being more confusing than it had to be.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Mayo
United States
Schertz
TX
flag msg tools
Have you paid your dues, Jack?
badge
Yes sir, the check is in the mail.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Antares Rangers wrote:
This is kind of an apples and oranges question...
...[you] cannot explore and then gather in the same ROI in one round...it comes to being able to have "all the prerequisites" of the action as you are assigning all actions for the round. So, you can only gather in an ROI that was previously explored before that round began...


(And everyone else: did I mess up any rules in the explanation???)


This was a misunderstanding I had (and I can't blame it on the rules). Now I remind myself that placing pawns is simply the equivalent of the morning "scrum" meeting the astronauts have where they say what they are going to do for the day. You can't say that your plan is, "I'm going to Gather minerals ("Materials" in game terms) today from that unexplored area beyond the valley" because they may not be there.

Also, what if Bob the Rover Dude's plans to Explore beyond the valley fall apart because the Froggy breaks down? (Because of a shitty roll, for instance.) This is NASA, man! Everything takes planning! You can't plan a trip to a planet you haven't sent probes to and gathered data on! YOU WILL DIE! Or worse: GET YOUR FUNDING CUT!!!!!


I find that connecting rules to the theme helps me remember them.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cmmayo wrote:
OutOfHabit wrote:
If I understand the rules correctly, you need to spend the extra actions to get TO the space you wish to explore or gather...


Don't think of it in terms of moving TO a space. That will mess you up. When you do an action outside the HUB, the added movement cost (in pawns) takes into account that you are traveling from AND back to the HUB--it's a round-trip journey. After your action (such as Gather or Explore), you aren't now sitting in your rover out on the surface of Mars--you are back at the HUB.

I was confused by this also. The wording in the rulebook tried to be precise, but it ended up being more confusing than it had to be.

Doh!

So wow exploring and gathering sounds quite hard then!

Also, I'm reading the new 60-something page guide and see that it looks like the blue icon on the large sides of the ROIs are penalties that you take when going onto the space? I had thought the ones at the small end were ones you take going onto the space and the blue ones at the large end were ones you take going off of the space... guess I had that wrong too, huh?

EDIT TO ADD:
So I can't use the Scorpio twice, even if I assume that for the second action it is back at the hub and starting from there, correct??
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Calcagno
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OutOfHabit wrote:
cmmayo wrote:
OutOfHabit wrote:
If I understand the rules correctly, you need to spend the extra actions to get TO the space you wish to explore or gather...


Don't think of it in terms of moving TO a space. That will mess you up. When you do an action outside the HUB, the added movement cost (in pawns) takes into account that you are traveling from AND back to the HUB--it's a round-trip journey. After your action (such as Gather or Explore), you aren't now sitting in your rover out on the surface of Mars--you are back at the HUB.

I was confused by this also. The wording in the rulebook tried to be precise, but it ended up being more confusing than it had to be.

Doh!

So wow exploring and gathering sounds quite hard then!

Also, I'm reading the new 60-something page guide and see that it looks like the blue icon on the large sides of the ROIs are penalties that you take when going onto the space? I had thought the ones at the small end were ones you take going onto the space and the blue ones at the large end were ones you take going off of the space... guess I had that wrong too, huh?


Yeah, they do not take effect the FIRST time you explore the ROI (because you did not know it was there in the first place), but the penalty is enacted if you move into OR through the ROI (and NOT BACK HOME). So, entering and crossing through is the same thing. (There is 1 symbol that makes crossing through impossible; only into the ROI...)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Calcagno
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
True...rovers (both) are only used once per round. You can use both rovers, but not one twice...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.