Scott

Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first game last night and had a few questions I have not resolved to my liking.

My first question is: If you roll a 20 attacking with a monster, can you level up your character (assuming you have the experience)? The rulebook wasn't clear.

Secondly: How does the throwing shield work? You get +2 to AC, but do you use the attack once? Or every turn?

How do you open doors? Do you have to be adjacent, or just on the same tile? I'm assuming it takes the place of an attack action. (also as a side question, is there any way to dodge the damage if its a trapped door?)

Love this game, can't wait till I can find someone to play with. Or any game with. It's been 5 years and still searching.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Carraro
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first question is: If you roll a 20 attacking with a monster, can you level up your character (assuming you have the experience)? The rulebook wasn't clear.

Every time you roll a 20, you can level up your character (spending XP points collected from defeated monsters).

Secondly: How does the throwing shield work? You get +2 to AC, but do you use the attack once? Or every turn?

it´s a ITEM. so, while you have it, you can use it every turn...

gives you AC +2. Use to attack a creature with +6 to dice and IF hit the creatures take 01 damage. can be used in a creature 2 tiles away from you AND it DOES NOT COUNT as an ATTACK ACTION

How do you open doors? Do you have to be adjacent, or just on the same tile? I'm assuming it takes the place of an attack action. (also as a side question, is there any way to dodge the damage if its a trapped door?)

when revealing a tile with have a door symbol, put a DOOR token face down...

Stay adjacent. use ONE ACTION to open.

turn face up the door token and see whats happen...

Love this game, can't wait till I can find someone to play with. Or any game with. It's been 5 years and still searching.

hope you find someone to play!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott

Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response.

I was kidding about the last part. So any 20 roll, even if its for attacking with a monster, can level a character up? Seems a bit unthematic, as its essentially a critical attack by the monster, and it gets rewarded by your character leveling-up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scozar52 wrote:

No. From page 14 of the rulebook:
Quote:
Whenever a Hero rolls a natural 20 when making an attack roll or a disable trap roll, that Hero can choose to spend 5 Experience Points to become 2nd level!

Emphasis mine. Hero, not player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto Hietanen
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carraro wrote:

Stay adjacent. use ONE ACTION to open.

turn face up the door token and see whats happen...

I think that the rule book is not that clear on the subject, but I have always played that flipping the door token from an adjacent square is not an action. Only locked doors need an action to open, like it is specified in the rule book. Even without needing the flip door -action, I have found that barring scenario requirements and house rules, you should just always leave doors alone and find another way forwards.

IMO, with the flip door -action the door opening procedure would be quite horrendous as in one turn you could only move adjacent to the door and Flip open the door token (get an encounter for not exploring). Then you might be damaged by a trap or you might have to waste at least one other round to try to open a locked door with your action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott

Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have gotten two answers here: one says any 20 rolled can be used to level up, one says only 20's rolled by the hero can be used to level up.

Since in the rulebook it says "hero" I guesss I will stick with the latter until further notice. Thanks peeps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always played when the HERO rolls a 20. So you can put another down for the HERO version.

As far as Door Tiles, yes, the rules are a bit unclear. (But one of the good things about this system is it's really open for house rulings.) Thematically, to me, using a ACTION to open a door "feels right." In order to disable a trap tile, for instance, you have to use an Action - so why would opening a door be any different? (I also play that Duerugar Dwarf guards, that run and bring other monsters, will open doors and bypass any trapped ones - after all, they are living in the dungeon and would know which doors were trapped, being guards, wouldn't they? That's just a house rule on my part.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E D
United States
wilton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
another vote for hero!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.