Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rome Knows Nothing
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both in my possession. I have not played either, yet.

Is it even worth it to play the base game or should I jump right into War Eternal?

The component quality for the base game that I am seeing about now is a little disheartening, but certainly wouldn't stop me from playing it.

*I also have all 4 mini expansions and the playmat*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
If you have the second edition of the base game, the complaints about component quality don't apply anymore. The issues are with the first edition and are really overblown anyway.

Anyway, they're cross-compatible. Just combine them into one huge game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Start with the pre-built game for the base game Rageborne is a very good introduction to the game.
War Eternal is harder and probably more exciting too so it wouldn't do to start with it and then go back to the base game and find it too easy

Then let things go big with Carapace Queen and try and build your own market + mages set-up. Chances are you'll cry a bit before putting her down ^^
From there do what you want
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rome Knows Nothing
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Start with the pre-built game for the base game Rageborne is a very good introduction to the game.
War Eternal is harder and probably more exciting too so it wouldn't do to start with it and then go back to the base game and find it too easy

Then let things go big with Carapace Queen and try and build your own market + mages set-up. Chances are you'll cry a bit before putting her down ^^
From there do what you want

Awesome. I was definitely hoping the answer would be something like this. I would've felt bad if I bought the base game and didn't really need to, but going "all in" at their booth gave me a discount on the games/mat, so... I cant really complain either way!

I am going to break into the base game tonight and see how it goes.

Thank you for the fast reply! It seems from browsing around on here that there is a great community for this game. Very excited to be a part of it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abel Kim
United States
Flower Mound
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I am a Turtle.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest Aeon's End first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rome Knows Nothing
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ethereality wrote:
If you have the second edition of the base game, the complaints about component quality don't apply anymore. The issues are with the first edition and are really overblown anyway.

Ahhhh cool, cool. Do you know how to tell which edition it is? I'm going to assume its the second edition, but ya never know...

That might be a little overwhelming to me to start off with absolutely everything. I wanna dip my toes in before diving in head first
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rome Knows Nothing
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dbriner31 wrote:
I would suggest Aeon's End first.

I think that is what I am going to do. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The starting setup for original Aeon's End is probably the easiest place to start in terms of both difficulty and complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
jnowak415 wrote:
Ethereality wrote:

Ahhhh cool, cool. Do you know how to tell which edition it is? I'm going to assume its the second edition, but ya never know...

That might be a little overwhelming to me to start off with absolutely everything. I wanna dip my toes in before diving in head first

The second edition says "second edition" in smallish print under the title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rome Knows Nothing
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qxc0 wrote:
The starting setup for original Aeon's End is probably the easiest place to start in terms of both difficulty and complexity.

Thanks! I will bust into the starting setup for the base game, and if I play a couple/few times and it's a little too easy for my liking, I can always dig into War Eternal!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rome Knows Nothing
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ethereality wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:
Ethereality wrote:

PERFECT! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
jnowak415 wrote:
Ethereality wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:
Ethereality wrote:

PERFECT! Thanks!

Additionnally, if your cards have light frames they are second edition. If they have darker, brown frames they're second edition.

This is first edition

This is second edition.

I really really like the Aeon's End Community Welcome aboard! Hope you have fun, tell us how it went
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rome Knows Nothing
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:
Ethereality wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:
Ethereality wrote:

PERFECT! Thanks!

Additionnally, if your cards have light frames they are second edition. If they have darker, brown frames they're second edition.

This is first edition

This is second edition.

I really really like the Aeon's End Community Welcome aboard! Hope you have fun, tell us how it went

Thanks for the pics and info! I will have to check my game when I get home from work.

I will certainly be back after getting some games under my belt!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Bertrand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Rageborne is a very good introduction to the game.

(/me imagines Rageborn stomping on adventurers) Yeah... Rageborne is... definitely representative of the game.

jnowak415 wrote:

Thanks! I will bust into the starting setup for the base game, and if I play a couple/few times and it's a little too easy for my liking, I can always dig into War Eternal!

One more mention here that, in my opinion, 2-mage play is the easiest, 3-mage intermediate difficulty, 4-mage / single mage are the more challenging. And not all mages are borne equal. So take a little time to adjust and explore before passing "too easy!" judgement on the base game... Or alternatively trying to make it easier on yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.