Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Duke's Investigate Ability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Corbett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi, when taking advantage of Duke's "move then Investigate" action, does the location you move to have to be revealed? Or does the act of moving to it, revealing it, placing clues on it (if applicable), then investigating it, all count as one action?

Thanks for reading!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The latter! It is indeed a very useful ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Jung
Canada
flag msg tools
The latter, which can lead to an Uncharted/Michael Bay series of epic maneuvers in one particular mythos pack scenario (Essex County Express)

Just say I once had Duke drag me through 4 skill tests, and after narrowing succeeding in all of them, then realize, oh yeah I'm still investigating. It was quite hilarious as you try to picture the context.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Proulx
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
Only having dabbled in Pete & Duke I've wondered about this.

Let's say you set out to use Duke's move-investigate ability but discover that the location upon being revealed actually has no clues.

I assume you cannot use Duke's move ability and then just decide not to investigate. You still have to pull from the bag anyway, right?

Otherwise it would feel like you were circumventing the risk of pulling an effect from the chaos bag and just get free movement, no strings attached.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson Wise
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd still move, and still investigate, but due to there being no clues, even if you passed you'd get nothing for it. However, you could fail and if there were a penalty to that failure (such as a special token pull), you would have to suffer said penalty.

Also, you have burned an action regardless, so it's not really a free move if you reveal a location with no clues. It basically becomes a move where you tested Investigate. And you now have an exhausted asset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.