Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Maxcy
United States
Lexington
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, part of what makes a good co-op experience is the sense of tension that arises during gameplay. This tension is often created by seemingly insurmountable conditions that are required for victory, but once you do manage to overcome them and earn that win the sense of accomplishment feels great.

As I write this, note that I don't see it as a fault of the game, but instead an interesting distinction in Too Many Bones. The tension is almost reversed from that I'm typically used to. In a game like Pandemic it starts as an "Ok, no problem. We got this!" and quickly escalates into a panic to achieve your goals before you're overwhelmed by plague.

For me anyway, Too Many Bones differs. From the moment the baddie queue is built and you start populating each lane, that "We're so screwed" feeling sets in and things look bleak. It's only after you've worked down those big heavy hitters that things start to look more manageable and victory is in sight. The tension buildup is rather unique and I appreciate TMB for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I refer to what you're describing as the player 'power curve' and it is a major factor in which co-op games I pursue.

Some games (Robinson Crusoe) have a power curve where you are always a short breath from losing and the game matches each success with a setback.

Some games (Nemo's War) are super easy at the beginning but the game gains power more rapidly than the player and the end is a harrowing struggle.

TMB represents my favorite type (as does Arkham Horror) where you start out at disadvantage but through smart progression choices, you will grow your power curve at a faster rate than the game, leading to and end game where you can have a 'we got this' level of satisfaction.

Its a tricky concept to describe

btw .. If you're interested in expoloring another game with a unique power curve thats not really any of these, take a look at Spirit Island.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sterling
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's an amazing analysis!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.